Best area of Scotland for golf

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Very much depends on what you’re looking for. For example, if you’re a low handicapper you might want the challenge of of Muirfield or Carnoustie, although both are good off the short tees if that’s your standard.

Equally, you might want a daft weekend away with the lads, and the Kyles of Bute is a fab venue.

Either Ayrshire coast or Lothian/Fife coast will satisfy. My last lad’s long weekend was based around Blairgowrie but involved Alyth, Kirriemuir, Blair Atholl & the Perth courses.

If it’s mid to high handicappers don’t pick a predominance of courses that will beat them up. Get the balance right for everyone.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I played Corrie and Lochranza as a teenager with my Dad - both with a half-set each of my Grandfather’s blades from yesteryear. Some of my best golfing memories

Money in a tin type of place, played 45 holes in a day - absolute Millionaires golf (at least back then)

That's it in a nutshell, I posted some pictures, let me see if I can find them.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I wouldn't say Ayrshire where most of the courses are is that wet. Up around Greenock is much worse than it is around Troon.
That's very true but it's still a bit wetter than through in the East, though maybe it's a bit seasonal. West is better April/May and East in Late Sept/October I believe.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
For a holiday trip I'd go for the Kintyre Peninsula due to the golf (Machrihanish, Machrihanish Dunes, Dunaverty), being 'far from the madding crowd' and the stunning scenery.

Did just that in September, loved it up there. Hell of a trek to get there though, probably a one time trip, but worth it for Dunaverty alone.

Last edited:

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
For me the Ayrshire links have more variety than East Lothian links.

Love Aberdeen area and North is superb too.

Also as has been mentioned Argyll and Bute has some lovely options too. You can also go Ayrshire over to Arran, play Shiskine then ferry to Kintyre peninsula and that's another fantastic option.

Big85

Visit site
We did a trip to East Lothian last June and it was fantastic. Gullane, Dunbar, the glen, Royal Musselburgh. So many more courses around there. We’ve booked again for this year and playing 4 different courses. Looking forward to playing north Berwick this time

evemccc

Visit site
Like this thread…. I have plans to play a lot of courses once I’m up there

I could easily make another thread to make you feel jealous… ‘Best area of England’ and offer the Surrey/Berkshire sand belt heathlands, the Kent links, England’s NW golf coast, the Atlantic links of Devon and Cornwall, the great inland courses of Yorkshire - Alwoodley, Ganton, Moortown, the links and maritime heathlands of North Norfolk and Suffolk ?

In GB, we’re blessed ?

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
That's very true but it's still a bit wetter than through in the East, though maybe it's a bit seasonal. West is better April/May and East in Late Sept/October I believe.
July is about the wettest month of the year around Edinburgh due to heavy downpours rather than days of rain.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
We did a trip to East Lothian last June and it was fantastic. Gullane, Dunbar, the glen, Royal Musselburgh. So many more courses around there. We’ve booked again for this year and playing 4 different courses. Looking forward to playing north Berwick this time
With NB, be good to hear what you think - massively over rated for me.

Kilspindie is fab and you might like Craigielaw, a modern links with interesting greens.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Machrihanish, The Dunes felt like a slog, a lot of walking between holes. We were proper cream crackered when we finished.

Total opposite for me. Mach Dunes is the stronger of the two for me. Machrihanish has a brilliant front 9, 10 is also excellent then it peters out into mediocrity for me. Back nine is such a disappointment from the front.

I've never once came off Mach Dunes "cream crackered" regularly play 27 when I go down.

I guess we all like and appreciate different things.