The best value for money clubs possible- challenge

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
Here's a challenge for all the bargain hunters out there.

I'm trying to encourage my foster son (16) to try golf for a season to see how he gets on. Membership for his age is only £50 for the year, so I'm going to see if I can't get him out of his room more this year!!!

There's a chance he might not stick to this, but I'm hopeful as he does enjoy walking round with me (and playing the occasional sneaky short par 3). So, I'm not wanting to put pressure on him by buying brand new clubs.

I'm looking to pull together a golf set for him. He's adult size, but his swing speed will obviously be slow at this stage. I'm thinking:

-Driver with plenty of loft
-5 wood
-4 hybrid
-6 iron to SW
-Putter
-Carry Bag

I don't have the budget to spend much on this. If he enjoys it, we will upgrade his gear later on in the year. If he doesn't take to it, I'll see whether he wants to donate the set to another beginner locally.

Looking for a bit of help from those who too often get ebay-fever (most of us) to point me towards any amazing bargains out there. If your course is closed today, or you have time on your hands, I challenge you to 'build' the best bag of clubs you can, for the least amount of money.

Cheers :)

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Probably look on gumtree and find a full set that some poor wee widow is selling.

Likely the cheapest way of going about putting a full bag together, including all the accessories that someone will have in their bag.
Charity shops also will have opportunities like this.

You will get a set starting at £30. Ok, so might be a few spanners in there - but will get him going.

If you buy everything separately it will cost a good bit more.

Here's a decent looking set or irons... £80, but would probably get them for £70. \
Mizuno Irons - Gumtree

Big Jim

Visit site
i got my clubs at a car boot sale for £50, i', told they are pretty good clubs. Not the make up you are after, just woods, irons and a putter.

Ping irons Callaway woods and an odyssey putter, also had a pocket of balls and tee's so was good to go.

Last edited:

pool888

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Would agree with looking on Gumtree, you get some great bargains if your patient. My advice would be not to worry to much about the budget just look for good condition branded clubs that are being sold at the right price. If you can get Ping's, Callaways etc at a good price you will always sell them again easily enough without losing much if any money, you might even make a small profit if you sell at the right time.

Wolf

Visit site
Try Facebook Market place as well, tend to have packages being sold as a whole pretty cheap in all local areas.

If you manage to get something but need a putter drop me a PM I've a couple floating abou, you can have one of those for the price of postage only.

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
Would agree with looking on Gumtree, you get some great bargains if your patient. My advice would be not to worry to much about the budget just look for good condition branded clubs that are being sold at the right price. If you can get Ping's, Callaways etc at a good price you will always sell them again easily enough without losing much if any money, you might even make a small profit if you sell at the right time.

That's a good point, cheers.

Oldham92

Hacker
Visit site
Might be a little more expensive but on golfbidder there are sections for drivers, fairways and iron sets under £X

huds1475

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I'm trying to encourage my foster son (16) to try golf for a season to see how he gets on. Membership for his age is only £50 for the year, so I'm going to see if I can't get him out of his room more this year!!!

There's a chance he might not stick to this, but I'm hopeful as he does enjoy walking round with me (and playing the occasional sneaky short par 3). So, I'm not wanting to put pressure on him by buying brand new clubs.

I'm looking to pull together a golf set for him. He's adult size, but his swing speed will obviously be slow at this stage. I'm thinking:

-5 wood
-4 hybrid
-6 iron to SW
-Putter
-Carry Bag

I don't have the budget to spend much on this. If he enjoys it, we will upgrade his gear later on in the year. If he doesn't take to it, I'll see whether he wants to donate the set to another beginner locally.

Looking for a bit of help from those who too often get ebay-fever (most of us) to point me towards any amazing bargains out there. If your course is closed today, or you have time on your hands, I challenge you to 'build' the best bag of clubs you can, for the least amount of money.

Have a Tietleist 915h @ 21 degree you can have for postage. I can’t be bothered selling on eBay and would rather it went to someone starting the game.

It’s in really good nick, there’s a very slight ding on the toe that you can’t see from address, and has a Diamana blue stiff shaft.

If not suitable no worries

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
Have a Tietleist 915h @ 21 degree you can have for postage. I can’t be bothered selling on eBay and would rather it went to someone starting the game.

It’s in really good nick, there’s a very slight ding on the toe that you can’t see from address, and has a Diamana blue stiff shaft.

If not suitable no worries

That's really kind! I'll PM you.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
If he was left handed I would give you a set and bag.....can't believe others aren't in the same situation somewhere.
I did the same for someone else, who was left handed, a few years ago with some bubble shafted burner Ti 'woods' and Mizono T zoid irons - there's only a nominal value to even extremely competent gear nowadays.
I'm sure you will put together a bag in no time.

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site

-5 wood
-4 hybrid
-6 iron to SW
-Putter
-Carry Bag

I have a 64° wedge you can have, its a cheapo fazer wedge nice big face though

Oldham92

Hacker
Visit site
Big thanks to Andy who very kindly dropped off some clubs for the lad. Just need to sort him out with a bag and some clothes and he'll be out there playing as crap as me in no time. Thanks to everyone- crazy amount of generosity on here.

You know he's guaranteed to turn up not having a clue what he's doing and put in a better score than you don't you? 😂