Help me help my cousin

sjw

Visit site
My cousin, who is about 14 and around 5 foot, is just getting interested in golf because a few of his mates are. He has an old set of his dad's clubs (bought for a work golf day or something, his dad isn't a golfer) which he's been practicing in the garden with, but nothing really more than that.

he played 9 holes with his friends the other day, but he hadn't actually taken his clubs with him and was just sharing with a friend, which got him kicked off the course shortly before he could complete his round. This understandably left a bit of a sour taste in his mouth; we all know that that's a general rule, but to someone new to the game, it would come across as a bit elitist and it would leave you wondering what the problem was and how anyone is supposed to get into the game.

First questioni is, would he need shorter clubs at 5'? I'm pretty sure his dad isn't going to pick the game up, so I suggested that the old clubs could be cut down and regripped if they didn't want to spend a fortune. I also have an old starter set that they could have. But I don't even know if the clubs should be cut or not.

I'm sure they'd also appreciate advice on second hand clubs if that was a wise choice. Preferably something that isn't going to make the game much harder than it needs to be, but something that has reached the bottom of its depreciation curve that they wouldn't lose much if it came time to resell.

What do you think would be the best course of action?

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Not a boat I've been in myself but I would imagine most men's clubs are catered for the 5'8" to 6'0" window so he might find them a bit long.

Not sure what his swingspeed is or anything but he might benefit from ladies clubs at first at that height? Could be a second hand market worth exploring although others with more experience in that market will be better placed to advise.

I'm led to believe that the issue with simply cutting down clubs is that it will alter the swing weight quite a bit if you're cutting a couple of inches off and so they won't feel/play as they are meant to. Having said that will a beginner really notice?

sunshine

Visit site
First questioni is, would he need shorter clubs at 5'?

If he was 11 for example, I'd say it was a good idea to get shorter clubs. But at 14 I wouldn't bother cutting down clubs, he's probably going to grow 6 inches in the next year. As a beginner he'll learn to cope with clubs that are slightly too big for him and he'll grow into them pretty quickly.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The biggest problem with just cutting down adult clubs is that you change the swing weight and the clubs could be harder to swing correctly than they should be. Although this can be overcome by addition of lead tape in the right place.

I would also go with ladies clubs simply because they would be much easier to find S/H than junior clubs

he played 9 holes with his friends the other day, but he hadn't actually taken his clubs with him and was just sharing with a friend, which got him kicked off the course shortly before he could complete his round. This understandably left a bit of a sour taste in his mouth; we all know that that's a general rule, but to someone new to the game, it would come across as a bit elitist and it would leave you wondering what the problem was and how anyone is supposed to get into the game.

The problem with sharing a bag of clubs is the extra time it takes as each player has to go to every ball. If he has a bag share the clubs out between bags, as beginners they only need half sets anyway.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
The lad is just over 5ft, his irons are 2 degrees flat - so that might be a cheap solution - just get them tweaked by a local pro?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
As others said, might as well just get him to grip the clubs an inch or two further down the grip until he grows a bit more.

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
Yes, clubs will be fine, get him to grip at an inch down the grip and bingo. Theres next to no chance he'll play at all during the winter, see if it comes back in the spring, and how tall/interested he is by then.

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I am 5’5 and I have been fitted for 1/2 inch short. As someone suggested, for now he could just grip down the clubs a little (no more than an inch).

My son has gone from 5’0 to 5’7 in two years, so worth sticking with the old clubs for now and seeing if he retains the interest.

sjw

Visit site
Ok, thanks everyone :) I have no idea what the old clubs are, but if they ask, I'll let them know the general consensus

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Cutting down clubs not only changes the swingweight but it makes them stiffer than a tour pros.

ladies clubs are the answer but don’t tell him they are.

agree wait until spring.