Kids clubs or cut down adult clubs

HPIMG

Visit site
I have a 9 year old who I got a half set of clubs but he lost his wedge, my 58 volky has a bit of wear so was thinking of replacing it. So should I get my volky cut down for him or just buy him a real kids wedge ?

JayB

Visit site
Purchase the correct club, if they struggle with the wrong club it could impact their enjoyment which is what it's all about at that age.

As previously said, the Vokey should more than cover the cost.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Cut it down and see how he gets on with it. It will feel heavy, but that doesn’t mean he won’t be useful with it. It’s a quality club at the end of the day, and will offer a lot more feel and feedback than a cheaper kids club.

Stegsie

Head Pro
Visit site
It is mainly about swing weight when cutting down clubs particularly if you cut a lot off.

Personally I would buy him the correct club and sell the Vokey on ebay to cover the cost
100% agree with this.

I had a similar dilemma a few years ago when my Nephew started to play. He used cut down clubs first but we noticed a big difference when he switched to proper junior clubs.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Kids clubs are not only lighter, whippier, they also have thinner grips. Do the rest of his set have graphite shafts?
A cut down gents club would be inappropriate for an average 9 year old in my opinion.

OnTour

Head Pro
Visit site
my 11 year has kids clubs and he still struggles with the 3 wood, so adults are never going to cut it. Ladies for teenagers may be an option.

spend then money far better to enjoy it than struggle along with bad kit.

D

Deleted member 1147

Get a junior/ladies replacement

Men's clubs will be too stiff, heavy etc

JayB

Visit site
my 11 year has kids clubs and he still struggles with the 3 wood, so adults are never going to cut it. Ladies for teenagers may be an option.

spend then money far better to enjoy it than struggle along with bad kit.
Depends on the child entirely, always worth a basic "fitting" as such just so they can try out lots of different options. My lad for example, I bought him a set of Callaway XT junior clubs when he was 10. I think these were rated for teenagers around 13-16 years old. Age 11 he moved on to men's lightweight regular flex graphite clubs, age 13 he is now using stiff flex steel shafts.