Best area of Scotland for golf

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I don't get the love of those courses, maybe Blairgowrie. When we had a forum meet at Pitlochry I was bitterly disappointed with it. But then scenery plays no part in why I'd play a course. But that's just my opinion mind.

What is there to be disappointed about Blairgowrie with? Its a great course.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Scenery is very important for me with a golf course.
For example, Carnoustie has such dull surroundings that it detracted from my enjoyment.
It works the other way for me too. An average course is much more enjoyable with nice views.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
What is there to be disappointed about Blairgowrie with? Its a great course.
It was Pitlochry I was disappointed with. But Rosemount is Just not my cup of tee, never really enjoy it. Well apart from the Wee course, that is def the best 9 hole course I've ever played, really enjoyable. When we have our jolly down that way we always play the Wee course on the way back. Plus trees always give me a cold sweat?

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Scenery is very important for me with a golf course.
For example, Carnoustie has such dull surroundings that it detracted from my enjoyment.
It works the other way for me too. An average course is much more enjoyable with nice views.

Would tend to agree with that. Royal Lytham is probably as good a test of golf that I have ever played - really enjoyed it - but a links course surrounded by houses and limited views. Nope not for me.

Martink

Visit site
Heading to Scotland July/august next year for about 14 days, possibly more . Don’t really want to play the big names, St Andrew’s the exception. Want to spend a few days in St Andrew’s , but not sure which way to head after that . Always wanted to play machrahanish and shiskine . But have also noticed courses like Brora in the highlands . Happy to drive anywhere for a hit , open to suggestions and company when i finally get there

CountLippe

Visit site
Aberdeenshire coast is superb and probably no 1 for me, then Ayrshire Coast, Moray firth and North, East Lothian coast then Angus with Panmure being superb.

Spoiled for choice
Earlier this year I was lucky enough to play Royal Aberdeen, Murcar, Cruden and Trump over consecutive days... Wow!

I'd say RA was the most enjoyable, Cruden the prettiest with Murcar just behind - its a bit more rustic with maybe a couple of weaker holes.
Trumps a weird one - absolutely spectacular and good design, but it just feels a bit manufactured and the turf isn't very linksy.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Royal Aberdeen won't come cheap.
If you want some slightly less known courses in an area that has not been listed you could consider the SW of Scotland possibly on the way up or back.
Powfoot, Southerness, Stranraer, Portpatrick are all worth playing.

abjectplop

Hacker
Visit site
Heading to Scotland July/august next year for about 14 days, possibly more . Don’t really want to play the big names, St Andrew’s the exception. Want to spend a few days in St Andrew’s , but not sure which way to head after that . Always wanted to play machrahanish and shiskine . But have also noticed courses like Brora in the highlands . Happy to drive anywhere for a hit , open to suggestions and company when i finally get there

Have a look at this list of best fun courses. Based on the ones you've named, they'll be some good ideas in here:

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
If you are there for 14 days, it might be worth saving a bit of wiggle room to take account of the weather. (Up to) 5 day forecasts are normally pretty decent, and there's often a marked difference between East and West coast conditions. The west coast couses, where the weather is generally worse, are spectacular in the sunshine but horrid in the rain/wind.
What with airbnb/booking.com etc, you'll always be able to pick something up within driving distance if you're prepared to be flexible. Outside weekend mornings and the really well known courses you'll be able to get tee times.
Its july now, you could always have a (virtual) dry run for the next two weeks to see how it would work out.
Also, especially on the west coast and Islands, try and take in the local honesty box and 9/12 hole courses. I was cycling around Bute and Arran a couple of weeks ago and came across a number which would be perfect for a lovely summers evening.

Martink

Visit site
Royal Aberdeen won't come cheap.
If you want some slightly less known courses in an area that has not been listed you could consider the SW of Scotland possibly on the way up or back.
Powfoot, Southerness, Stranraer, Portpatrick are all worth playing.
I’ll look them up , thank you

Martink

Visit site
If you are there for 14 days, it might be worth saving a bit of wiggle room to take account of the weather. (Up to) 5 day forecasts are normally pretty decent, and there's often a marked difference between East and West coast conditions. The west coast couses, where the weather is generally worse, are spectacular in the sunshine but horrid in the rain/wind.
What with airbnb/booking.com etc, you'll always be able to pick something up within driving distance if you're prepared to be flexible. Outside weekend mornings and the really well known courses you'll be able to get tee times.
Its july now, you could always have a (virtual) dry run for the next two weeks to see how it would work out.
Also, especially on the west coast and Islands, try and take in the local honesty box and 9/12 hole courses. I was cycling around Bute and Arran a couple of weeks ago and came across a number which would be perfect for a lovely summers evening.
Thanks for that ! Shiskine is one on my list