Changes to WHS in April 2024

Golfie

Visit site
I gather that they are also introducing a feature I like. It will be mandatory to select your markers name either by PSI or MSI for competitive rounds.
Missed the webinar unfortunately. Will that be after the round when inputting scores? I can see a few problems if it is before.

wjemather

Visit site
I gather that they are also introducing a feature I like. It will be mandatory to select your markers name either by PSI or MSI for competitive rounds.
This would be bad.
I don't see how this can be mandatory (without the ability to switch it off) because there is no requirement in the rules for the marker to even be a golfer, let alone to be a member of the same club and have created an account to use the software/app.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am liking, personally, the CR-Par addition. Had an interesting discussion with my mate yesterday, who is just about to join a club with Slope 106 and CR 64.4 off yellows (Par 68). His Index is 8.0.

Currently, his course handicap would be 8 at his new course. At my course, Slope 141, CR 70.1 and Par 71, his Index would be 10

Next month, his Course Handicap will be 4 at his new place, it would be 9 at my place. Given that his new course is likely perceived by many to be a very easy course (it is very short, just over 5000 yards I think), I suspect the bigger difference in handicaps will be understood much better by most golfers. However, what I do agree with is that it is going to be a shock when it comes in, based on what we have done since WHS came in. At his new course, golfers will suddenly lose 3/4 shots on the handicap they are used to playing with. It is why I think it was an error for the UK to ignore it in the first place.

I've been very vocal about the issues with handicaps when whs came in (mainly this) at my place I'll now get more shots than easier courses in the area.

By easier I define both being par 72 and our CR being 71.8 and 74.3 (white and black tees) and the other types of courses being 69.7 and 72.3 yet me getting less shots at my course and more shots on my travels

Nice to see common sense brought in

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
This would be bad.
I don't see how this can be mandatory (without the ability to switch it off) because there is no requirement in the rules for the marker to even be a golfer, let alone to be a member of the same club and have created an account to use the software/app.
It doesn't say how the marker is to be identified. There may be the option to select 'Non-Member' and enter a name. Such a marker may not need to create an account.
Have you got additional information?

wjemather

Visit site
It doesn't say how the marker is to be identified. There may be the option to select 'Non-Member' and enter a name. Such a marker may not need to create an account.
Have you got additional information?
No, I've seen no information at all.
However, allowing manual entry of gibberish would negate the effect of making it mandatory.

Oldbutwise

Visit site
No, I've seen no information at all.
However, allowing manual entry of gibberish would negate the effect of making it mandatory.
Handicapmaster has had this facility for some time. It's optional and has to be selected when setting up a competition. The marker has to be on the system as either a member or registered visitor. It's useful from the admin point of view when double-checking scorecards as it's quicker than trying to decipher the often scribbled names/signatures on a card.

wjemather

Visit site
Handicapmaster has had this facility for some time. It's optional and has to be selected when setting up a competition. The marker has to be on the system as either a member or registered visitor. It's useful from the admin point of view when double-checking scorecards as it's quicker than trying to decipher the often scribbled names/signatures on a card.
It's optional in ClubV1 too, but it's a systemwide setting rather than per comp. The implication was that it was to be enabled without the option to turn it off, which would not be a good thing.
We never enabled it because if you give players too much to do, some will just start dropping their cards in the box without entering their scores on the system at all, which ultimately creates more work for the committee.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site

What if, as I've experienced several times, there end up being two markers for the card as the first has had to leave the course at some mid-point for some reason and a second marker has completed the card?

I assume there will be space for up to three markers to cover this type of eventuality?

Viewer

Visit site
What if, as I've experienced several times, there end up being two markers for the card as the first has had to leave the course at some mid-point for some reason and a second marker has completed the card?

I assume there will be space for up to three markers to cover this type of eventuality?

But you’ve already selected the marker before you start

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
Heaven forbid that the Committee would need to some work!! Isn't that what the Committee members signed up for, to help run the competition(s)?

Swango1980

Visit site
Our club sent everyone an email saying they'll count a few weeks ago, and not said anything different since.

So, either they've not heard anything different, or decided not to tell us yet

D-S

Visit site
No word saying that the software isn’t in place (that was the possible stumbling block) either from the ISVs or from EG, so I have to assume it will go live next Monday.

Oldbutwise

Visit site
This is a portion of an email that was received from HandicapMaster last week. So, it appears that 4BBB will count from 1st April if the criteria are met.

IF YOU PLAN TO RUN FOUR BALL COMPETITIONS:

(a) Last week we received a request from the Golf Unions to change the way data is sent to the WHS servers for handicapping Four Ball competitions from 1st April.

This change requires reporting player's equivalent Stableford Points based upon their Full Course Handicap (rather than reporting the player's gross scores).

(b) To help our customers understand the processing of scores sent for handicapping, we have amended the 'Handicap Score Submission Log' to be an interactive list, providing access to further information about scoring data sent to the Golf Union's WHS platform.

For Four Ball scores, this will include an estimate of the points that will be calculated under WHS Rules of Handicapping, rule 5.10, when the WHS platform decides whether a player's score is sufficiently good to be included in their Handicap record. Whilst the WHS platform will be doing the official application of rule 5.10, we believe it may be helpful to have an estimation of these calculations available from HandicapMaster.