Ryder Cup 2016 - Official Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Watched the half hour special about mcginleys captaincy last week, unbelievable the amount of though and detail of planning that went into gleneagles (even down to the colour of fish in the tank in the team room!).

And DC was the same, even more meticulous I hear. But that means very little if you can't then make the most of your team over the 3 days. Paul Lawrie for me as I see him in the McGinley mode, straight talking, not afraid of making the difficult decision and dropping/not picking his mates. Plus I think he will pick on form, not reputation from days of old. Personally think Poulter will be a dreadful captain as he is all boggle eyed stares and passion, where as you really need a cool calculated head out there.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Disregarding the result, this was a fantastic RC and probably just what was needed to resurect interest in it from the US. The competition itself is the winner after this one.
The one thing that struck me more than any, was how many putts were holed from anywhere on the green...it was totally unbelievable at times.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Great TV and entertainment across all the days (even the silly foursome format)

Had to catch the finale via highlights early this morning before heading into work so it didn't show all the misses/poor shots but still gripping. Broadcast was via the worldwide feed and therefore commentators were slightly biased to Europe but didn't spoil the event. Near naff all ad breaks all weekend which helped quite a bit but that's down to the dynamics of the local broadcaster

Player highlights were Reed, the Spanish pairing, Pieters, Garcia and Mickelson and several others too long a list to mention
Lows were Fitzpatrick, Willett and friends ('out of depth' comes to mind)

Quandary - Rory is a phenomenal talent... but each week he just makes my skin crawl just a little bit more

Overall the right team won and it can only put the event on an even bigger platform in 2 years time

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Europe need a captain of the Langer mould for me: a master tactician. The team is still likely to be quite young in 2 years time. I suppose Westwood will probably be in the frame for captain.

Good to see Thomas Pieters play so well. A revelation!

Hendy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Player highlights were Reed, the Spanish pairing, Pieters, Garcia and Mickelson and several others too long a list to mention
Lows were Fitzpatrick, Willett and friends ('out of depth' comes to mind)

Overall the right team won and it can only put the event on an even bigger platform in 2 years time

Agreed with these points. End of the day best team won. When you looked at the singles line up on Sunday you knew in your heart that Danny Willett Fitzpatrick and Westwood Were never going to win there games.

Rose played well and far getting the putt on the 1st I was hoping he would have made so many more. If he just have made some putts am sure he would have won. Played great tee to green.

Overall the USA team just looked sharper looked like a team in form against a team that wasn't bar a few.

Also think Martin Kaymer played well on the last day to come from behind.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
For me it came down to the putting and the US were just so much better, a good example was in the Rose Fowler match, on one hole Faldo had a putt of 6-8 feet to go one up and missed it, then on the next Fowler holed from around 25 feet to get a half.

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
For me it came down to the putting and the US were just so much better, a good example was in the Rose Fowler match, on one hole Faldo had a putt of 6-8 feet to go one up and missed it, then on the next Fowler holed from around 25 feet to get a half.

Faldo wasn't playing..... but to be honest he might have been the only English player to secure a point if he did play.

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've really enjoyed watching it, some of the golf has been an incredible standard.

US team were just better from start to finish really, particularly on the greens so fair play to them.

Not really sure what young players we have coming through either to strengthen the team.......

First time I've seen any of Pieter aswell, hope he kicks on and doesn't disappear like Colsaerts

D

Deleted member 16999

Apparently on the last day both teams had 61 Birdies, US also had 3 eagles to our 1, didn't think it was anywhere near that close!

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
We were outplayed by a better Team but poor selection, pairings and tactics made it easier for the USA.

The selection process should not involve Captain's picks but be on form alone. Perhaps weighted for the most recent 3 months decreasing in importance for earlier months.

Langer would be a good choice as Captain for Paris.

hines57

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
what a great tournament - and what a showcase for the game. With so many holes being halved in birdies, who could fail to be impressed. The USA team held it together down the lower order and that made the difference. Now the USA are back into it and up for the defence in Paris - fantastic!!!

jdpjamesp

Q-School Graduate
www.jdpalmer.co.uk
This is hilarious. Fowler's face in the WAGs photo...

CtzTGzvXgAAsd3S.jpg:large

BoadieBroadus

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Westwood should never have been there. even a blind man knows that. i wouldn't have taken kaymer either. knox and beef for me.

and what was darren doing on Saturday afternoon? putting westwood out again and splitting up the Spaniards? what a mug. appalling decision and Darren should call faldo for some advice

it was pointed out that at the time he was picking the afternoon pairs, the spaniards were getting hammered 4 down.

D

Deleted member 18588

Interesting to look at the World Rankings; taking the top 12 European players (regardless of Tour membership) would have meant Casey, Knox, Lowry and Molinari would have been in the team.

They would have replaced Fitzpatrick, Westwood, Kaymer and Sullivan.

Obviously it is no longer relevant to this year's contest but it provides food for thought in the post match debate and any review of the selection process.

Previous RC teams have often included one or two who were lower than alternatives but the figure this time round does seem rather high.

Mind you the American team contained Zach Johnson & Ryan Moore who were lower in the rankings than 3 or 4 others, most notably Bubba.

I guess whatever selection process you have there will always be anomalies.

A1ex

Head Pro
Visit site
Hindsight is a wonderful tool and I'm not sure changing the line ups Saturday or even having Knox or Beef would've made a difference. I think it was just the USA's time to win.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
That issue is always going to arise with a year long qualification process.
Someone could have qualification wrapped up by Jan/Feb and then lose all form in the next 8 months...
Start with the Desert Swing and finish end of Aug

Top 6 from Euro points plus top 6 from World points and do away with picks....they only cause outrage

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I hardly watched any of it, i just don't like seeing guys screaming "Cuomon" to themselves over and over after every shot. All this screaming and playing up to the crowd leaves me cold.

if the players are all running around like lunatics on steroids, its little surprise the crowds go a bit over the top from time to time.