Roll-ups

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Yowza....that would drive me crazy.
Which is why there's a possibility, when we come out of this mess, that BRS will stay and you book everything
The roll ups will still have their times but you'll be able to see the spaces.
The 3 other clubs I've been a member at all had booking systems like BRS and I'm used to it.

D

Deleted member 15344

1. But what if they wanted to play at that time but didnt want to play in that group ?

2. You can still be social and turn up and also still be social after you play - that’s how exactly we have worked throughout the summer , some arrive early - have breakfast and a chat , we play , we then drop into the clubhouse , pay our money and have a chat - all done without having tee times blocked out for us ? Why can we manage it and no doubt others can as well yet your lot can’t ? - the draw is done early in the week , book your tee time and away you go - what’s the issue ?

The one main difference is your block booking - that’s the only thing that’s different and what you want , all the social stuff can and will still happen

It’s all possible - everything is possible and workable , the only people that won’t work around things are the dinosaurs who want it their way that it has been for years

And many rolls ups can actually make things a lot worse for new members

Mandofred

Visit site
1. But what if they wanted to play at that time but didnt want to play in that group ?

2. You can still be social and turn up and also still be social after you play - that’s how exactly we have worked throughout the summer , some arrive early - have breakfast and a chat , we play , we then drop into the clubhouse , pay our money and have a chat - all done without having tee times blocked out for us ? Why can we manage it and no doubt others can as well yet your lot can’t ? - the draw is done early in the week , book your tee time and away you go - what’s the issue ? You can't be social unless your tee times are pretty close to each other....with the cut-throat pressure of fighting for tee times....not likely to get 20 people to all play reasonably close to each other. Do you think that's possible?

The one main difference is your block booking - that’s the only thing that’s different and what you want , all the social stuff can and will still happen

It’s all possible - everything is possible and workable , the only people that won’t work around things are the dinosaurs who want it their way that it has been for years

And many rolls ups can actually make things a lot worse for new members How?
I give up.....and the thing is....I've kind of agreed with you with your views and I wouldn't doubt that eventually the booking system will be what takes over. I keep repeating that I understand why people like you would rather have just the booking system....you keep thinking I'm against it and I want things to stay the same as they used to be....even after I have stated (and several others have) that things probably should change at least a little bit. You haven't compromised even one little bit....only your way. Are the others that have responded with some positive things to say about roll-ups "dinosaurs" as well? That's a bit insulting towards people who don't agree with you. I'm 63.....play video games....walk a lot (I'd rather run....but those days are kaput)...I am back to carrying my clubs again (not required at our course).....handicap is 7.9 with WHS..... Just because I'm thinking about quitting unless the roll-ups come back.....reasons that are good enough for me but not good enough to you are considered "daft". Why can't I have different priorities? I'm not allowed?

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I give up.....and the thing is....I've kind of agreed with you with your views and I wouldn't doubt that eventually the booking system will be what takes over. I keep repeating that I understand why people like you would rather have just the booking system....you keep thinking I'm against it and I want things to stay the same as they used to be....even after I have stated (and several others have) that things probably should change at least a little bit. You haven't compromised even one little bit....only your way. Are the others that have responded with some positive things to say about roll-ups "dinosaurs" as well? That's a bit insulting towards people who don't agree with you. I'm 63.....play video games....walk a lot (I'd rather run....but those days are kaput)...I am back to carrying my clubs again (not required at our course).....handicap is 7.9 with WHS..... Just because I'm thinking about quitting unless the roll-ups come back.....reasons that are good enough for me but not good enough to you are considered "daft". Why can't I have different priorities? I'm not allowed?

Are your comps played as roll ups or booked times?

D

Deleted member 15344

Why can’t you get 20 people playing pretty close to each other ?
we manage it With 30-40 people every Sunday ?

It’s just a case of being organised when the tee booking opens up.

And if other people book the times you want maybe that points out the there are people out there that want to play those times you normally have reserved but don’t want to be part of a roll up/swindle

What you don’t see in your multiple threads about roll ups - there are ways around any perceived issues that non reserved tee times bring.

As I said I have been a member of a club that doesn’t have tee bookings until Covid - I hear the same complaints you make but then they don’t tell me why they should have reserved spots and no one else does ? What if everyone wanted reserved spots - everyone pays the same , is treated the same

There is always a way to make things work whilst still giving everyone equal chance - the only fair way is to have every single tee time available for every single member. A group of people having tee times reserved Imo will always be unfair to the rest of the membership

Last edited by a moderator:

Mandofred

Visit site
Are your comps played as roll ups or booked times?
If you play golf....it has to be booked. Our medals you sign up for on BRS (3 per time slot) and then a few days before the comp they make a random drawing of 12 or 15 names in adjoining time slots so that you can't pick who you play with. Even if the roll-ups did come back....those periods of time were booked as well. The days of just showing up and playing are long gone.

I sometimes wonder how many roll-ups at courses were just loosey-goosey with no organized recognized times. I can understand how that drove people nuts. I wasn't around for the "put your ball in the metal ball thingy" to hold your place. When I joined in 2015 I was handed a sheet of paper with the names of the roll-ups and the times that were allotted.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Why can’t you get 20 people playing pretty close to each other ?
we manage it With 30-40 people every Sunday ?

It’s just a case of being organised when the tee booking opens up.

And if other people book the times you want maybe that points out the there are people out there that want to play those times you normally have reserved but don’t want to be part of a roll up/swindle

What you don’t see in your multiple threads about roll ups - there are ways around any perceived issues that non reserved tee times bring.

As I said I have been a member of a club that doesn’t have tee bookings until Covid - I hear the same complaints you make but then they don’t tell me why they should have reserved spots and no one else does ? What if everyone wanted reserved spots - everyone pays the same , is treated the same

There is always a way to make things work whilst still giving everyone equal chance - the only fair way is to have every single tee time available for every single member. A group of people having tee times reserved Imo will always be unfair to the rest of the membership

How do you get to be part of the draw? This 30-40 people. What if 20 guys want in, who have never played in it before? How do they sign up? I am interested, as I don't see how it can work.
Roll ups at my place have to be inclusive, have to accept whoever turns up, even at the exclusion of regulars, it's first names on the sheet. No secret squirrel WhatsApp groups, which is the the exact opposite of inclusive.

D

Deleted member 15344

How do you get to be part of the draw? This 30-40 people. What if 20 guys want in, who have never played in it before? How do they sign up? I am interested, as I don't see how it can work.
Roll ups at my place have to be inclusive, have to accept whoever turns up, even at the exclusion of regulars, it's first names on the sheet. No secret squirrel WhatsApp groups, which is the the exact opposite of inclusive.

They contact the organiser who add them into the draw for the day , all the organisers of the swindles have their names on the board where people can contact them , swindle members also bring in people to join. Far less intimidating as well for new members - instead of arriving asking to play its all pre arranged.

Always a way for things to work - I suspect the days of rocking up to the tee and being greeted by 20/30 people waiting are going to be long gone - many clubs will see how easy it is for tee bookings to work .

But if people don’t want to it work then it won’t work for them

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
They contact the organiser who add them into the draw for the day , all the organisers of the swindles have their names on the board where people can contact them , swindle members also bring in people to join. Far less intimidating as well for new members - instead of arriving asking to play its all pre arranged.

Always a way for things to work - I suspect the days of rocking up to the tee and being greeted by 20/30 people waiting are going to be long gone - many clubs will see how easy it is for tee bookings to work .

That's basically how our sweeps are organised on Saturdays.
There's always a few 4 ball slots left free in-between the 4 different sweeps. Our largest sweep has approx. 40 players, smallest has 12. Seems to be working well.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
When I joined the new club in the late summer, there were a couple of “roll ups” to join, contact details of organisers were made available. I contacted the guy who ran the Saturday morning group and he explained how it worked. Now our club does have tee times blocked out, but we are a very small membership compared to others and I’m not aware of any complaints.

We let him know if we are playing and he sorts the groups and timings, then he lets us all know via email.

It seems to work pretty well.

Mandofred

Visit site

When I joined, I didn't know anybody. The only reason I knew about the roll-ups is because of a sit down with the mgr of the club. I guess I might be in the minority.....but as a new member.....I didn't know anybody at all. Also...being part of the roll-up you play with different people each time so a quick way to meet pretty well everybody in the group. Do you play with the same people each time...or do you random draw for groups?

How does your group get times all about the same....we've tried....people just aren't quick enough with the BRS and get spread out everywhere. Quite a few have done what I have and just stopped fighting for the early times since if you are a bit too slow it's reasonably easy to get a time after 10am most days. Turns out I can usually get the early times since my internet connection seems to be faster than most, but I leave it up to others since I don't like the fight for times.

D

Deleted member 15344

When I joined, I didn't know anybody. The only reason I knew about the roll-ups is because of a sit down with the mgr of the club. I guess I might be in the minority.....but as a new member.....I didn't know anybody at all. Also...being part of the roll-up you play with different people each time so a quick way to meet pretty well everybody in the group. Do you play with the same people each time...or do you random draw for groups?

We have had many new members join and find people to play with , with the booking being open to all and empty spots people just put themselves down with someone. They can book any time they want and play with who they want.

If they want to join the swindle then they go into a random draw which is done by the organiser - both the roll ups I’m a member off is a random draw.
How does your group get times all about the same....we've tried....people just aren't quick enough with the BRS and get spread out everywhere. Quite a few have done what I have and just stopped fighting for the early times since if you are a bit too slow it's reasonably easy to get a time after 10am most days. Turns out I can usually get the early times since my internet connection seems to be faster than most, but I leave it up to others since I don't like the fight for times.

We just join the rest of the club and treat everyone the same and book when it opens - it shoold tell you a story that if others want to play in those times you normally have reserved that it’s a fairer way for it to be open to all and your group being reserved is getting special treatment for no reason.

We all manage to play around each other but it’s no issues if some other groups get in between us - that’s their right to do so , doesn’t stop the social interaction before or after.

This is a perfect time for the domination of clubs by rolls ups - it may seem great when you are in it and getting the benefits of the reserved spots , not so great for all the members that aren’t part of one and don’t want to be part of one but are treated as second class and get restricted tee times

Mandofred

Visit site
We have had many new members join and find people to play with , with the booking being open to all and empty spots people just put themselves down with someone. They can book any time they want and play with who they want.

If they want to join the swindle then they go into a random draw which is done by the organiser - both the roll ups I’m a member off is a random draw.

We just join the rest of the club and treat everyone the same and book when it opens - it shoold tell you a story that if others want to play in those times you normally have reserved that it’s a fairer way for it to be open to all and your group being reserved is getting special treatment for no reason. They can play at those times.

We all manage to play around each other but it’s no issues if some other groups get in between us - that’s their right to do so , doesn’t stop the social interaction before or after.

This is a perfect time for the domination of clubs by rolls ups - it may seem great when you are in it and getting the benefits of the reserved spots , not so great for all the members that aren’t part of one and don’t want to be part of one but are treated as second class and get restricted tee times
You really must hate roll-ups. You keep calling your groups roll-ups....but they aren't. If they were roll-ups, you wouldn't be taking part in them because of your dislike of them. You are calling your swindles....roll-ups. That's like calling my Suzuki a Range Rover......it isn't. They both have 4 wheels....but they most definitely aren't the same.

A club has the choice of how they run things. As I've said before (I can't believe I'm still arguing with you.....at least without a lot of beer in me) I think you are correct and things will eventually go towards booking only (you do realize I've said this before....right?). But.....if a club wants to run lots of roll-ups....or no roll-ups....it's up to the club to decide and then I make a decision on whether to join.....it's not a requirement. Just like a lot of other things in life if things aren't run the way I (or you) like....you don't have to join. If a restaurant charges a lot for a meal....I don't go....not worth it to me. That's not a negative thing...it just doesn't work for me, but for others it does (and if someone does, I don't call them insulting names). I'm thinking about joining a fitness club/tennis club instead of golf......bit expensive and a bit posh so I'm not sure. But.....they get to make their rules and then I have to decide whether it works for me. Again....it's not a negative....just the way it is and I can live with that.

D

Deleted member 15344

You really must hate roll-ups. You keep calling your groups roll-ups....but they aren't. If they were roll-ups, you wouldn't be taking part in them because of your dislike of them. You are calling your swindles....roll-ups. That's like calling my Suzuki a Range Rover......it isn't. They both have 4 wheels....but they most definitely aren't the same.

They are roll ups - before Covid we all turned up on the tee at 6:30 on a Saturday and 9:45 on a Sunday - balls in a hat and groups drawn - its a roll up/swindle. Why would I hate them - we still have the same groups now - what I don’t agree with is “roll ups/swindles” being given special treatment and having the tee reserved for them.

A club has the choice of how they run things. As I've said before (I can't believe I'm still arguing with you.....at least without a lot of beer in me) I think you are correct and things will eventually go towards booking only (you do realize I've said this before....right?). But.....if a club wants to run lots of roll-ups....or no roll-ups....it's up to the club to decide and then I make a decision on whether to join.....it's not a requirement. Just like a lot of other things in life if things aren't run the way I (or you) like....you don't have to join. If a restaurant charges a lot for a meal....I don't go....not worth it to me. That's not a negative thing...it just doesn't work for me, but for others it does (and if someone does, I don't call them insulting names). I'm thinking about joining a fitness club/tennis club instead of golf......bit expensive and a bit posh so I'm not sure. But.....they get to make their rules and then I have to decide whether it works for me. Again....it's not a negative....just the way it is and I can live with that.

Remember you were the one that asked me the question to which I responded.

How do you play competitions at your club ? Do they reserve the tee bookings for your groups as well

it’s very simple

Think about those other members who want to play at the same time as your group have the tee reserved, why shouldn’t they be allowed to play at that time and with their mates of their choosing ?

And if your guys are struggling to get the times you want maybe that should open your eyes to the fact that other members want to play at those times and with everything opened up it allows every member to be treated the same

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
When in Tier2 we were - no longer now we are in Tier4 - 2 balls only so need all slots available for as many members as possible. Plus no visitors or members sign-ons.

Mandofred

Visit site
They are roll ups - before Covid we all turned up on the tee at 6:30 on a Saturday and 9:45 on a Sunday - balls in a hat and groups drawn - its a roll up/swindle. Why would I hate them - we still have the same groups now - what I don’t agree with is “roll ups/swindles” being given special treatment and having the tee reserved for them.

Remember you were the one that asked me the question to which I responded. Got to admit I don't know.....which question are referring to?

How do you play competitions at your club ? Do they reserve the tee bookings for your groups as well No....they block off that whole part of the day for people playing in the comp....which of course is discriminatory against people NOT playing....which I can live with. The club gets to decide how things are run.

it’s very simple

Think about those other members who want to play at the same time as your group have the tee reserved, why shouldn’t they be allowed to play at that time and with their mates of their choosing ? But vice-versa.....why can't these people play by the rules the club has made? You sound like someone who moves next to an airport and then complains about the noise and wants the airport to go away. Don't join the club if you don't like the rules.....simples. Don't get me going about only white socks......

And if your guys are struggling to get the times you want maybe that should open your eyes to the fact that other members want to play at those times and with everything opened up it allows every member to be treated the same I've already stated repeatedly that I understand this point of view and at least partially agree with it....I think you are having trouble with reading comprehension.
Again.....you still don't realize that I'm pretty well agreeing that this (straight booking) is the way things are going...... You DO realize this....right? I don't like it.....but at some point I will make the decision on whether to join again with the rules of the club at that time. At this point.....I think we are both just plain stupid and we like to argue too much.

It's too early for beer...right?

SatchFan

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Again.....you still don't realize that I'm pretty well agreeing that this (straight booking) is the way things are going...... You DO realize this....right? I don't like it.....but at some point I will make the decision on whether to join again with the rules of the club at that time. At this point.....I think we are both just plain stupid and we like to argue too much.

I'll happily roll up for a beer.

Mandofred

Visit site
I'll happily roll up for a beer.
That's another problem.....I'm such a light-weight that I'm afraid to have a beer afterwards....with my luck there would be a cop outside the club entrance and I'd probably turn up over the limit. If I change clubs to the one nearest.....I can stagger home in about 25 minutes.

I seriously don't know why the police don't sit outside the club entrance......they could pull over a lot of people for being over the limit I would think. There are some people who really knock back a fair bit afterwards....I'd certainly be over the limit.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site

You should have realised by now, even if you've agreed with him, LP does not let a topic go and will happily repeat the same stuff over and over again ad nauseum. :)

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No roll ups - no club should by definition should have rolls up now - everyone being treated equally , tbink it’s wrong for any group to get reserved tee times or tee times booked before general release.

Still think it’s daft anyone suggesting they won’t play golf if roll ups can’t happen

Whilst responding to the original question. We have not have what would be the old fashioned roll up for some years because because we went to booked tee tees after 9.30, open to all, years to book years ago and to all booked tee times a couple of years ago.

WEW generally call them swindles because it is more or less the same guys playing in each swindle and if you want to get in to one you generally find out who organises it and ask them if you can play with them. Most swindles are reasonably accommodating but within the tee slots they are able to book before somebody else books the slot.

With a about 5 different swindles on a Saturday winter booking is very much fastest broadband and fingers first but each of the swindles know roughly what time they want to book and tend not to clash.