Roll-ups

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
That's another problem.....I'm such a light-weight that I'm afraid to have a beer afterwards....with my luck there would be a cop outside the club entrance and I'd probably turn up over the limit. If I change clubs to the one nearest.....I can stagger home in about 25 minutes.

I seriously don't know why the police don't sit outside the club entrance......they could pull over a lot of people for being over the limit I would think. There are some people who really knock back a fair bit afterwards....I'd certainly be over the limit.
Re. Your last paragraph, I've said this for years. Easy pickings for the police and they would be doing all of us a favour. It would soon get the message out not to do it.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As someone who has run two groups for many years I prefer the all names on the booking sheet method. We used to run it as 4 booked tee times with 3 of the slots in each tee time of as anonymous ie 16 players. When suddenly you had 20 plus players turn up and nobody had thought to book another tee slot it was a bit of a nightmare.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Re. Your last paragraph, I've said this for years. Easy pickings for the police and they would be doing all of us a favour. It would soon get the message out not to do it.

Very easy for the police to sit un-noticed outside the club and yes they have pulled people over. The bottom line is, there is no requisite to have a beer, or more than one and nobody is under any pressure in the groups I play in to have a drink but if you do the onus is solely with the player. There are some that drink and drive but having said that I've seen individual members who have gone out as a fourball separate from any roll up and do exactly the same thing and have more than the legal limit. I am with you though.

I don't drive so HID drops me off and picks me up and funnily enough we've had a pull coming out of the club much to the annoyance of the copper who got a zero reading from HID who doesn't drink (bar perhaps Christmas and birthdays). When people have been pulled and done though you are right it does send a message out but sadly that may last a couple of weekends or a month before the usual suspects reckon the risk is worth taking. I am not condoning it one iota. What do you do though? I am sure many clubs have exactly the same problem but how different is it from going to the pub and behaving the same way.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Very easy for the police to sit un-noticed outside the club and yes they have pulled people over. The bottom line is, there is no requisite to have a beer, or more than one and nobody is under any pressure in the groups I play in to have a drink but if you do the onus is solely with the player. There are some that drink and drive but having said that I've seen individual members who have gone out as a fourball separate from any roll up and do exactly the same thing and have more than the legal limit. I am with you though.

I don't drive so HID drops me off and picks me up and funnily enough we've had a pull coming out of the club much to the annoyance of the copper who got a zero reading from HID who doesn't drink (bar perhaps Christmas and birthdays). When people have been pulled and done though you are right it does send a message out but sadly that may last a couple of weekends or a month before the usual suspects reckon the risk is worth taking. I am not condoning it one iota. What do you do though? I am sure many clubs have exactly the same problem but how different is it from going to the pub and behaving the same way.

This wouldn’t be a problem for just golf though. The police could do this outside any sports club on a Saturday/Sunday. Any football/rugby/hockey match I have ever played in we always went back to the club for drinks afterwards.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
This wouldn’t be a problem for just golf though. The police could do this outside any sports club on a Saturday/Sunday. Any football/rugby/hockey match I have ever played in we always went back to the club for drinks afterwards.

I totally agree.

As I've said before, roll ups are an integral part of our club. If we get back to normality we don't have tee times but we make it work in terms of roll-ups and those not interested in being in one. We draw the balls at 7.45 Saturday and Sunday for the groups I play in and on the tee at 8.00. If we're big in numbers and someone is on the putting green waiting for someone else to get to the tee we'll hold back and let them got first. We'll also go off the 10th at which point, those coming round to the first face the same jeopardy of people already on the tee waiting to go out at which point they wait their turn

While we have covid and have booked tee times, the club have withdrawn roll up groups. Yes, at the start of all this, particularly coming out of lockdown 1.0 a number of groups asked the question but the club decided and I fully support their decision, that it isn't fair when members are struggling to get games especially in the winter, to block chunks of tee times out. Having asked the question though, at the end of covid should the club want to keep tee times it will need to go to a vote as it is part of the constitution that there should be no booked tee times outside of club matches, competitions and society bookings

Mandofred

Visit site
Back in my time in Germany 1989-99...somewhere towards the later part of that I read an article that said something like 50% (some huge number....can't remember) of the drivers on the roads on Friday and Saturday nights were over the limit. Germany back then was very much into social drinking....and it wasn't anything unusual to see workman taking their lunch break and downing a couple large bottle of beer. The last year or two I was there the police finally started random stops at those times.....shazam....the issue got better immediately. They also had a driving rule that if you got into an accident with another car and you had a drink...it was your fault. The other person could run a red light and hit you.....but it was still your fault automatically.