Roll-ups

Mandofred

Visit site
So you have tee times and that way every member is given the same access and treated the same - roll ups shouldn’t get any special treatment when it comes to bookings unless they pay more fees than others.
Exactly my point. It's not a roll-up if you play "whenever" someone can get a tee time..... they will be spaced out at different times throughout the day/morning......that isn't a roll-up. Swindles are not the main point of our group......although who doesn't like to win a few £.

I disagree with your view of special treatment.....but I can understand it and there is a small part of me that agrees. I'd be willing to pay a little more to get that "special treatment".......

We have quite a few rather.....uh......matured people who are absolute crap with computers. If they want a game now they have to get some other people with faster fingers to even get a game sometime in the mornings. Younger people are better on the whole with computers.....seems like old people are being discriminated against......joking (That's a joke son---Foghorn Leghorn).

Mandofred

Visit site
Not happening at my club at the moment. A shame as they are really popular and have been a brilliant tool for making new members find a lot of regular players really quickly and settle into the club. When we finally beat covid I am sure these will come back but now isn't the time to be worrying about them
That's how I look at it.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
You are looking at things differently than me. The main argument against roll-ups (unless I'm wrong....as usual) is that they take big chunks out of Saturday (and other days) morning prime tee slots. People who didn't want to take part in the roll-ups, but still wanted to play with their buddies at that time, are upset because they can't get access to those tee times unless they played in the roll-ups. I can understand this.....they just want a game with the same people most times and like a lot of people they want to get it out of the way early so they have the rest of the day to do other things.

Hey....Lord Tyrion.....I was about to bring your name into this.....
I haven't joined a roll up discussion for some time, I've been very well behaved ?.

I think you've summed up the argument against very well, I equally understand the argument for. You pays your money you take your choice.

I'm not actually completely against them. In the past some of the arguments for, not yours I hasten to add, have been quite arrogant and failing to see the other side of the coin. That arrogance annoyed me far more than the actual roll ups.

When the health side of things resolves itself there is no reason why roll ups can't return. Hopefully though they will perhaps consult with the wider membership as to when they happen, how often etc and take into account everyone, not just those who take part.

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Rollups are a pretty important part of our club but I tend to agree with those who say in these times they shouldn’t be running in any capacity at the moment. Frankly, if rollup players haven’t sorted this stuff out after 9 months I have very little sympathy. Obviously, there is nothing to stop an individual booking a single slot on a tee time and seeing who ”rolls up“.

D

Deleted member 15344

Exactly my point. It's not a roll-up if you play "whenever" someone can get a tee time..... they will be spaced out at different times throughout the day/morning......that isn't a roll-up. Swindles are not the main point of our group......although who doesn't like to win a few £.

I disagree with your view of special treatment.....but I can understand it and there is a small part of me that agrees. I'd be willing to pay a little more to get that "special treatment".......

We have quite a few rather.....uh......matured people who are absolute crap with computers. If they want a game now they have to get some other people with faster fingers to even get a game sometime in the mornings. Younger people are better on the whole with computers.....seems like old people are being discriminated against......joking (That's a joke son---Foghorn Leghorn).

So what exactly is your belief of what the main point about a roll up ? What’s the main positive you’re missing that just can’t function with tee time bookings ?

If a group of people get a blocked tee time on any day then that’s special treatment - what happens when two groups want the same blocked times ?

I suspect that most clubs and their members have seen how well tee time bookings have gone , how it helps more members get a game , it removes the half hour 10 deep queues on the first , it also helps pace of play , it allows new people to the club to fit in by booking tee times with others , it allows people to arrange their day a lot more

I’m pretty sure most clubs who didn’t have tee bookings ( likes ours ) are going to continue to use them after Covid because their members have seen the benefit

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
When the health side of things resolves itself there is no reason why roll ups can't return. Hopefully though they will perhaps consult with the wider membership as to when they happen, how often etc and take into account everyone, not just those who take part.

We do as best we can. New members are told about the roll-ups and encouraged to at least to talk to the organisers of a couple of the groups. They are told when they go out, how long each usually take to get off etc. That information is also readily available in the members section of the website. We have a no visitor (green fee) policy until 12.00 in the summer so members get the chance to get out. The membership know when they take place and would work out when to play to avoid these if they didn't want to join in. I think it would be prudent (and I'll suggest it nearer the time) for the club to publish an email to outline to roll up groups and times again so people can decide what they want to do

Mandofred

Visit site
Rollups are a pretty important part of our club but I tend to agree with those who say in these times they shouldn’t be running in any capacity at the moment. Frankly, if rollup players haven’t sorted this stuff out after 9 months I have very little sympathy. Obviously, there is nothing to stop an individual booking a single slot on a tee time and seeing who ”rolls up“.
Not a roll-up..... social distancing means you can't have roll-ups.

Mandofred

Visit site
So what exactly is your belief of what the main point about a roll up ? What’s the main positive you’re missing that just can’t function with tee time bookings ?

If a group of people get a blocked tee time on any day then that’s special treatment - what happens when two groups want the same blocked times ?

I suspect that most clubs and their members have seen how well tee time bookings have gone , how it helps more members get a game , it removes the half hour 10 deep queues on the first , it also helps pace of play , it allows new people to the club to fit in by booking tee times with others , it allows people to arrange their day a lot more

I’m pretty sure most clubs who didn’t have tee bookings ( likes ours ) are going to continue to use them after Covid because their members have seen the benefit
I don't think you are even trying to see a different view. I can see why you like things as you state.....I even partially agree with it (as I've mentioned)......I just prefer it the way we had it set up. Nothing right or wrong about it....just different.

We did have blocked times......for different roll-up groups.....and they were blocked out on BRS just as they would for visiting groups and comps. They show up for their times.....figure out who they are playing with (several methods used) and out they go. Ours went off at 9am....there were two other groups at blocked times ahead of us......one large group behind ours.....in their scheduled blocked time slot. You could play with any of these groups.....nobody was stopping you from doing so. But.....if you only wanted to play with a set group of people....that was the hangup from your point of view.....and like I've stated many times, I do understand that point of view.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Pre covid we had somewhere in the region of 3 or 4 roll ups every day so 20 to 30 a week.
That's too many. And they had the better times.
Not everybody wants to be in one and it could be hard getting a reasonable slot.
The Club have been looking at ways of reducing the number and Covid is giving them the perfect opportunity
They don't want to stop all of them just reduce the number to spread the best times around a bit.

D

Deleted member 15344

I don't think you are even trying to see a different view. I can see why you like things as you state.....I even partially agree with it (as I've mentioned)......I just prefer it the way we had it set up. Nothing right or wrong about it....just different.

We did have blocked times......for different roll-up groups.....and they were blocked out on BRS just as they would for visiting groups and comps. They show up for their times.....figure out who they are playing with (several methods used) and out they go. Ours went off at 9am....there were two other groups at blocked times ahead of us......one large group behind ours.....in their scheduled blocked time slot. You could play with any of these groups.....nobody was stopping you from doing so. But.....if you only wanted to play with a set group of people....that was the hangup from your point of view.....and like I've stated many times, I do understand that point of view.

So you have a member who pays the same as you but doesn’t want to be in the roll up - but he can only book certain times -what does he do if he wants to play when you have the tee block booked ?

They are being forced to play with a group if they want a certain tee time - how is it fair to all members ?

If you used BRS block bookings for your rolls up you are getting preferred treatment over other members

It seems that you want roll ups just so you got the time you want every week ? Is that fair ?

So without the block booking you are being treated the same as every single member - all paying the same , all treated the same , equality. That’s far more welcoming for members - and you can still have organised swindles within that method.

And until Covid we had zero tee booking - people just turned up on the tee and then joined the queue - at times you could arrive at the club and see 20 people stood there - if you turned up at 10 on Sunday it would be 40 of us at times , waiting over an hour to play . Not great in modern times

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Roll up or not, I would have zero interest in being a member at a club that didn’t run tee bookings. I want to know when I’m playing.

If I turned up and there was a queue of 40 people on the tee I’d probably turn round and go home.

Mandofred

Visit site
So you have a member who pays the same as you but doesn’t want to be in the roll up - but he can only book certain times -what does he do if he wants to play when you have the tee block booked ? Play with us.....we are pretty friendly people.

They are being forced to play with a group if they want a certain tee time - how is it fair to all members ? All members are able to play....why isn't that fair?

If you used BRS block bookings for your rolls up you are getting preferred treatment over other members Members of our committee groups get early booking times, comps get blocked times, women get a blocked period on Tuesdays, etc etc. So....stop the monthly medals as well? What if I want to play but don't want to play in the medal? I'm being discriminated against?

It seems that you want roll ups just so you got the time you want every week ? Is that fair ? Nope.....as I've mentioned before.....and do again now since you don't seem to be reading what I write....I think there needs to be some compromising to try and make both sides happier.

So without the block booking you are being treated the same as every single member - all paying the same , all treated the same , equality. That’s far more welcoming for members - and you can still have organised swindles within that method. You are focusing on swindles......not the main point of our roll-ups....but helps make it more fun. How does a new person find all these other people to play with if they don't know anybody......roll-ups were a saving grace for me and a lot of other people.

And until Covid we had zero tee booking - people just turned up on the tee and then joined the queue - at times you could arrive at the club and see 20 people stood there - if you turned up at 10 on Sunday it would be 40 of us at times , waiting over an hour to play . Not great in modern times
Check BRS......it would show any slots that were open. No need to show up hoping to just walk on ....those days are over. I like the BRS.....and it's ability to block times.....as with comps. Again......should I complain about comps if I want to play on a Saturday morning but I can't unless I pay even more to play?

Mandofred

Visit site
Roll up or not, I would have zero interest in being a member at a club that didn’t run tee bookings. I want to know when I’m playing.

If I turned up and there was a queue of 40 people on the tee I’d probably turn round and go home.
That's why there is a booking system these days. You don't just "show up" and expect to play.

Mandofred

Visit site
Pre covid we had somewhere in the region of 3 or 4 roll ups every day so 20 to 30 a week.
That's too many. And they had the better times.
Not everybody wants to be in one and it could be hard getting a reasonable slot.
The Club have been looking at ways of reducing the number and Covid is giving them the perfect opportunity
They don't want to stop all of them just reduce the number to spread the best times around a bit.
That what I think needs to be done.....

D

Deleted member 15344

Check BRS......it would show any slots that were open. No need to show up hoping to just walk on ....those days are over. I like the BRS.....and it's ability to block times.....as with comps. Again......should I complain about comps if I want to play on a Saturday morning but I can't unless I pay even more to play?

1. What If they just want to play with their mates ?

2. It’s not fair because if they want to play at a certain time they have to join a group

3. Committee members shouldn’t get early bookings - competitions are a touch different , women shouldn’t get block bookings , we have members that play on medal days but don’t enter the medal

4. So what is it that you see as a benefit from your roll up that can’t happen without block bookings - you still can’t answer that

5. Swindles/ roll ups - all pretty much the same , what is your main point about your roll ups ?

6. A new member just puts themselves down on a empty slot - just like 40 plus members have done at our place this year

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
That's why there is a booking system these days. You don't just "show up" and expect to play.
Pre covid we didn't have a booking system except for Sunday mornings...it was turn up and play.
Thee roll ups had their times blocked out and there was a "traffic light" system where Green was a good time to start, Amber could be busy with crossing over ( 2 tee start) and Red was very likely to be busy.
Its ok of you can get to start during a Green time but thats not always possible - hence the need to streamline the number of roll ups.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

Members have the option of starting off the 10th and if people come round from the 9th, then groups alternate between those waiting to start out and those coming round. If we have large numbers turning up, which can happen on a Sunday and as we go out from 8.00am we'll split into to tee starts (back nine group getting out before anyone would be coming round) to minimise the delay on the first.

There are solutions to most problems and the simple ones tend to work the best. It has always worked exceptionally well at my club. If a group wandered out as the roll up was starting to go out, we'll feed them out next anyway. Makes perfect sense

Mandofred

Visit site
1. What If they just want to play with their mates ?That's the problem....as I have already mentioned. Why are you asking the same thing again?

2. It’s not fair because if they want to play at a certain time they have to join a group On a Saturday morning you could play at 7:30....or 8:00.....or 9:00.....or 10:00 depending on which group you hopped in with.

3. Committee members shouldn’t get early bookings - competitions are a touch different , women shouldn’t get block bookings , we have members that play on medal days but don’t enter the medal Committee members are volunteers....this is a nice thing to do for those that are willingly helping the club. I think this is the least that can be done.
Why do you think comps should be treated differently?

4. So what is it that you see as a benefit from your roll up that can’t happen without block bookings - you still can’t answer that. I have, but here goes again.
1. Social....social.....social.
2. We show up ahead of time and put in our laminated cards with names on them.....and then be social....you know, talk.
3. Cards are drawn to see who is in each group and in what order. First group heads out....other do have to wait a bit. That's the downside to the system.
4. After playing we go into the clubhouse....plop our money down (£2-2.50 depending on which day) and wait for other to come in and be sociable (talk, joke, make fund of each other). Eat, drink and be merry until the last group comes in and we see who wins....usually 1st and 2nd. This is NOT POSSIBLE until the groups start and finish fairly closely to each other. Repeat.....NOT POSSIBLE.

5. Swindles/ roll ups - all pretty much the same , what is your main point about your roll ups ? No....they aren't.

6. A new member just puts themselves down on a empty slot - just like 40 plus members have done at our place this year. Possible.....but it makes things a lot easier to meet people with roll-ups.

Mandofred

Visit site
Pre covid we didn't have a booking system except for Sunday mornings...it was turn up and play.
Thee roll ups had their times blocked out and there was a "traffic light" system where Green was a good time to start, Amber could be busy with crossing over ( 2 tee start) and Red was very likely to be busy.
Its ok of you can get to start during a Green time but thats not always possible - hence the need to streamline the number of roll ups.
Yowza....that would drive me crazy.