Random Irritations

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
My daughter did one of these visits a couple of years ago. The whole point is to show girls that science is a career option for them. The numbers going down this route are feeble so this is to promote the field.

There are regular scientific visits open to all, she went on those as well, and no doubt when they get there most of the people doing the talking will be men.

Take a step back and think about it, there is nothing sinister about this.

But its divisive. Its causing Harpo resentment which will probably be heard by his son. Better to be inclusive imo.

My son is doing a Biological Science degree at Westminster Uni. (or he should be but its moved online) We visited 4 other Universities before choosing Westminster, we sat in a lot of "Taster" lessons and I can assure you there are now plenty of young girls that consider science a worthwhile career.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
But its divisive. Its causing Harpo resentment which will probably be heard by his son. Better to be inclusive imo.

My son is doing a Biological Science degree at Westminster Uni. (or he should be but its moved online) We visited 4 other Universities before choosing Westminster, we sat in a lot of "Taster" lessons and I can assure you there are now plenty of young girls that consider science a worthwhile career.
I have no issue with girl-only visits as long as they are in addition to the standard school trips and not instead of.
I know when I was doing my Engineering degree at Nottingham, there were no girls in the class at all. I was most disappointed ?

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
I think the forum should have a day where anything goes and everyone who was black balled is allowed back - a bit like the film The Purge!

Create a sub forum only open at nights called “off limits” where anything can be discussed and swears are allowed....you have to tick a box to say you are over 18 and will not take offence and understand that you cannot report anything from the “off limits” forum.... get some of the forums insomniacs to Mod it ?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have no issue with girl-only visits as long as they are in addition to the standard school trips and not instead of.
I know when I was doing my Engineering degree at Nottingham, there were no girls in the class at all. I was most disappointed ?
At my daughter's school they were exactly this, additional trips targeting the promotion of women in science. It wasn't at the expense of boys.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

Maybe because of the events put on encouraging them?

Let's hope the events soon become redundant as that would mean they have served their purpose.

D

Deleted member 15344

The reaction to what Karen Carney has said is extremely poor - many have highlighted that it’s because she is female and it’s poor that it’s down to Leeds UTD official Twitter account and it’s based on a small clip that easily is taken out of context from what she actually said when

1. It’s just an opinion
2. it’s actually not a bad theory

Leeds last season where very high energy and just before the break were looking a touch tired ( just like they did the season before ) - so she basically was saying that the break helped Leeds players recover a bit more so they could then continue the same high level energy tactics after the break - it maybe wrong but it’s a sound theory. Yet the Leeds official Twitter have certainly twisted it

Many male pundits have said some really poor things and out of the box theories but they don’t have the same reaction - the reaction towards Carney from man his down to her being female , people just haven’t got the guts to admit it

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
Maybe because of the events put on encouraging them?

Let's hope the events soon become redundant as that would mean they have served their purpose.

No doubt, and I agree 100% that there should be events showcasing Women in Science. It just seems counterproductive to exclude boys from them.

I will highlight a subject that’s still needs promoting to girls. Computer science. No girls took it for GCSE at my sons school and no girls are taking it at A level at the 6th form college which takes pupils from all the schools in Havering.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
No doubt, and I agree 100% that there should be events showcasing Women in Science. It just seems counterproductive to exclude boys from them.

I will highlight a subject that’s still needs promoting to girls. Computer science. No girls took it for GCSE at my sons school and no girls are taking it at A level at the 6th form college which takes pupils from all the schools in Havering.
The stats would tend to show boys don't need pushing towards a career in science, they already find their way quite happily. The events show girls what boys already seem comfortable with, science can be for them.

Girls are not being given extra lessons or being given secret advantages here, they are just being shown what is possible.

No issue with your other point, over to that industry to promote itself better then.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
The reaction to what Karen Carney has said is extremely poor - many have highlighted that it’s because she is female and it’s poor that it’s down to Leeds UTD official Twitter account and it’s based on a small clip that easily is taken out of context from what she actually said when

1. It’s just an opinion

Leeds last season where very high energy and just before the break were looking a touch tired ( just like they did the season before ) - so she basically was saying that the break helped Leeds players recover a bit more so they could then continue the same high level energy tactics after the break - it maybe wrong but it’s a sound theory. Yet the Leeds official Twitter have certainly twisted it

Many male pundits have said some really poor things and out of the box theories but they don’t have the same reaction - the reaction towards Carney from man his down to her being female , people just haven’t got the guts to admit it
People are free to challenge an opinion ?‍♂️

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Female sports pundit makes stupid statement.
Apparently it’s sexist to point out that she made a stupid statement ?‍♂️

1. It’s just an opinion

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55485336

People are free to challenge an opinion ?‍♂️

But you're not challenging her comment, are you; you are calling it, and her by association, stupid. How about you explain in relation to the comment how you consider it to be stupid, or is that too challenging for you?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
cut back across the Kings todaywhile walking Rupert, closed for Snow. loads sledging on the course

watched as two kids walked around the pond in front of 18 and preceded to take the red stakes out and chuck every one in the pond, while their Dad just looked on, as i walked past asked him why he a had let his kids do that????

his reply, mind your own business they are not hurting anyone:rolleyes::LOL: