Random Irritations

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just read Karen Carney’s statement, valid, but neither offensive or correct. Leeds response, nothing wrong banter is banter.. they need to keep the energy up. Storm in a tea cup... but nothing wrong in pasting a journalist of either gender.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Carney is a bit of a poor pundit but she is new to it and learning - that comment about Leeds definitely had some validity, but she worded it badly. Leeds are bone-headed to react and tweet about it from their official account though - talk about chip on the shoulder.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Carney is a bit of a poor pundit but she is new to it and learning - that comment about Leeds definitely had some validity, but she worded it badly. Leeds are bone-headed to react and tweet about it from their official account though - talk about chip on the shoulder.
But if you let it lie it becomes fact ... the journos need to be accountable for their comments. Their jobs have become less about facts and more about opinion ... so response is fully justified. We have just gone through 5 yrs of complete opinion and non factual debate, and now it’s becoming evident that some people felt misguided - lesson learnt is to ask for evidence to back up the facts and dismiss or debate opinion. In this case Leeds had the right to pour scorn / debate/ rebuke the statement as it was pure opinion.

D

Deleted member 15344

But if you let it lie it becomes fact ... the journos need to be accountable for their comments. Their jobs have become less about facts and more about opinion ... so response is fully justified. We have just gone through 5 yrs of complete opinion and non factual debate, and now it’s becoming evident that some people felt misguided - lesson learnt is to ask for evidence to back up the facts and dismiss or debate opinion. In this case Leeds had the right to pour scorn / debate/ rebuke the statement as it was pure opinion.

99% of the time what a pundit says is purely their opinion, but it’s an opinion that will come from what they see through their career

What Leeds have done isn’t try and counter the opinion with any facts or even debate with her - they are just denounced it with a disdain as if “how dare she suggest that - mere women” - and they have done it without putting the full comment up there so the context behind her comments are not there

They are trying to humiliate her and unfortunately in a male dominated area the Neanderthals leap on it

Maybe they should actually address her point fully and the whole point not just the headline they created. And there is no doubt that if Neville or Carragher etc had made the same point there would not be the same reaction

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
99% of the time what a pundit says is purely their opinion, but it’s an opinion that will come from what they see through their career

What Leeds have done isn’t try and counter the opinion with any facts or even debate with her - they are just denounced it with a disdain as if “how dare she suggest that - mere women” - and they have done it without putting the full comment up there so the context behind her comments are not there

They are trying to humiliate her and unfortunately in a male dominated area the Neanderthals leap on it

Maybe they should actually address her point fully and the whole point not just the headline they created. And there is no doubt that if Neville or Carragher etc had made the same point there would not be the same reaction
I didn’t see the phrase mere woman ... I just saw the 3 emoji post ... which was not gender specific.... and since when must you respond with facts to an accusation? By doing so you either are giving it validity or not denying it, you can counter with questions which they did and then they said 10 pts which is a fair statement ( everyone could respond to them they all had a break they all had an opportunity to counter Leeds tactics and time to work on it ) ... but if yes they brought gender into it then yeah out of order..

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
But its divisive. Its causing Harpo resentment which will probably be heard by his son. Better to be inclusive imo.

My son is doing a Biological Science degree at Westminster Uni. (or he should be but its moved online) We visited 4 other Universities before choosing Westminster, we sat in a lot of "Taster" lessons and I can assure you there are now plenty of young girls that consider science a worthwhile career.

It's done because if these trips are open to all then boys go and girls tend not to.

All they are doing is trying to show girls that a Stem career is open to them.

To suggest that boys education is suffering because of it is a touch hysterical.

BiMGuy

Visit site

Utter nonsense. Look back at the Leeds tweet history and you will see they have replied to a number of pundits in the past.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It's done because if these trips are open to all then boys go and girls tend not to.

All they are doing is trying to show girls that a Stem career is open to them.

To suggest that boys education is suffering because of it is a touch hysterical.
There is more to it than just school trips ... but depends what you see

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
My daughter did one of these visits a couple of years ago. The whole point is to show girls that science is a career option for them. The numbers going down this route are feeble so this is to promote the field.

There are regular scientific visits open to all, she went on those as well, and no doubt when they get there most of the people doing the talking will be men.

Take a step back and think about it, there is nothing sinister about this.
Blimey LT....

You'll not get away with making such sensible observations for very long on here .

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't know what you're talking about. The co-commentator's job is always to provide their opinion. If they were meant to only deliver facts then they wouldn't be saying much at all.

I don't think the Leeds tweet called her because she's a woman - in fact they only tagged Amazon Prime, not her by name. It was just stupid to tweet about it anyway, from an official account. They should be above nonsense like that.

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Having worked in sport as both a play-by-play caller and colour analyst, I can confirm how different the two roles are. The colour role involved providing further details on what has just transpired as well as going into deeper points on other aspects of the game. It is the job of the play-by-play person to bring them back in line if they drift. It is definitely a two-person job.

I've not heard or know anything about this clip but I do know the standard of excellence at Sky Sports has dropped off a cliff in the last couple of years and dare I say it, employing people on the basis of equality rather than ability definitely has something to do with it.

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm not sure I understand the controversy?

Pundit gives s**t take, club responds. She has her view, but it's obviously open to criticism. There is nothing sexist in it at all.

D

Deleted member 15344

I'm not sure I understand the controversy?

Pundit gives s**t take, club responds. She has her view, but it's obviously open to criticism. There is nothing sexist in it at all.

If you go to the tweet from Leeds and then read through the comments - it then shows the sexist element of the issue between clearly

BiMGuy

Visit site
If you go to the tweet from Leeds and then read through the comments - it then shows the sexist element of the issue between clearly
There have been many sexist comments. They weren't from the club. In fact the club has condemned the sexist comments.

D

Deleted member 18588

Was Carney's remark that wide of the mark?

Between New Year's Day and lockdown they played 12 games, W6 D2 L4, after the restart they had 9 games W7 D1 L1.

Could be suggested that the three month break did them no harm at all.