Random Irritations

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
My random irritation is that someone has spilled stuff about today's cricket before I've seen the highlights. I made a point of avoiding the cricket thread but that wasn't enough.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Driving

And mainly driving during a school run

whilst on our walk to school every morning it always amazed how poor some people drive and also how ignorant people park

This morning we saw one lady speeding past the school straight over the zebra crossing

A car park half on the pavement decided to fling open their door banging straight into the daughter - not a single sorry or apology

There is a local social club which has a big car park that people can use but it seems 100m is too far to walk for the lazy “infractions” so they will park all over the pavements on double and single yellows making in impossible for people to walk past

Then you have those in the big suvs that clearly can’t drive them but think they can just barge their way around because they are in a big car

Would love it if they made the school round pedestrians only from 8-9 and 2:30 to 3:30

It takes me 5 mins to walk to school - takes our fat arse lazy neighbour 10 mins to drive

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Think the issue of "little darlings" not walking to school is common up and down the country and the problems with cars and parking that come as a result. Up to a point, I can see why parents wouldn't want their kids walking in this day and age (in my day we would walk/ride everywhere) but some of them live a stones throw away and then drive and park like idiots. We have a boys school opposite where I work and by 3.15 it is carnage

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Driving

whilst on our walk to school every morning it always amazed how poor some people drive and also how ignorant people park

This morning we saw one lady speeding past the school straight over the zebra crossing

A car park half on the pavement decided to fling open their door banging straight into the daughter - not a single sorry or apology

There is a local social club which has a big car park that people can use but it seems 100m is too far to walk for the lazy “infractions” so they will park all over the pavements on double and single yellows making in impossible for people to walk past

Then you have those in the big suvs that clearly can’t drive them but think they can just barge their way around because they are in a big car

Would love it if they made the school round pedestrians only from 8-9 and 2:30 to 3:30

It takes me 5 mins to walk to school - takes our fat arse lazy neighbour 10 mins to drive

A lot of the school roads around my way have cameras so close to all traffic (apart from residents) between the hours that you say.

It won't be long before my daughter's school goes the same way the way some parents park. I appreciate we are fortunate to get breakfast club for nothing as the wife works there so she drops them to there 10 mins before she starts but the amount of local people who park outside for a good 20 mins waiting rather than just walking their kids is ridiculous.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
The reverse round a corner was, originally, included as the safest way to turn around...as you say, hardly anybody ever does it but it was useful for showing car control and observation .
They were both scrapped when DVSA polled recent test passers as to how the would prefer to turn the car around.
Something like 85% or more said they'd drive, turn right, turn right, turn right, turn left rather than turn in the road or reverse around the corner
So what do you do if the road is blocked..?
The whole thing is a shambles and don't get me started on more experienced drivers and their lack of skills and knowledge.....
And that's all everyone will do if they don't get taught these skills.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Driving

I hate driving in this country. Reminds me what a me me me society we've become.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I hate driving in this country. Reminds me what a me me me society we've become.
I was in Canada in the summer. They have a lot of unmarked junctions over there. Whoever arrives first, gets to go, the rest go in order. It's very unnerving for a Brit, never really got used to it. It depends on both courtesy and also a fear of crashing. I don't think it would work over here on any scale, too many drivers are just too aggressive.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Being sent a survey to do, which I don't mind doing, but included is a freepost envelope that is clearly too small for the survey. The survey was a 8-10 page A4 booklet, printed on fairly think paper. The envelope was one of the tiny ones (DL?) that meant I had to try and fold the booklet 3 times and then try and force it in. ended ripping the envelope and having to repair with sellotape.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Anyway…there was I yesterday driving down from Sheffield…M1, M42 and M40…and all the way down (the M42 and M40 certainly)…my car DAB radio was fading out every 5-30 seconds on any and every BBC National DAB or D1 National DAB station. Don’t know if I was losing signal or just volume, but unlistenable. It seems OK today. Any thoughts on what was going on? I’ve a 13 plate VW Polo with its original DAB radio.

I’ll note that despite its age it seems to be able to pick up at DAB+ stations as I can listen to such as the Heart stations and Classic FM - though they were unlistenable yesterday.

Last edited:

Mandofred

Visit site
I was in Canada in the summer. They have a lot of unmarked junctions over there. Whoever arrives first, gets to go, the rest go in order. It's very unnerving for a Brit, never really got used to it. It depends on both courtesy and also a fear of crashing. I don't think it would work over here on any scale, too many drivers are just too aggressive.
Just what I was used to growing up. Small town.....one blinking red light in the middle of town...if it's a 4 way stop....yep, you have it right.....in order. I never had a problem, but it was "normal". You can also turn right (left here) on a red light (after you stop) if nothing is coming.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Just what I was used to growing up. Small town.....one blinking red light in the middle of town...if it's a 4 way stop....yep, you have it right.....in order. I never had a problem, but it was "normal". You can also turn right (left here) on a red light (after you stop) if nothing is coming.
Discovered many similar junctions in South Africa. Our AirBnB host simply advised us to make a positive move at a junction but with full awareness of others who might move just before you…they’ll expect right of way. Was a bit eek at first but I got used to it.