Random Irritations

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
America has the Cops to handle it, or they just call in the National Guard.

Over here the police are understaffed, overworked and overstretched and our communities are becoming less safe.

Have people not noticed that there are simply not enough police officers actually policing the streets?

Nothing has changed since 1992, when I joined. Probably goes back longer than that.

One of the big issues is that there are senior officers, after the next rank, who are Hell bent on reinventing the wheel. It’s a cyclical thing. Someone comes in, says everything is crap, conducts a review, changes things for change’s sake, gets promoted, buggers off and leaves carnage in their wake.

Those on the ground constantly shout “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it”, but the senior officers never listen to those who have to make their changes work. Why would they? They’ve got the degree in something totally unrelated to policing or public service, have done the minimum length of time possible getting their hands dirty, but they still know best.

So the frontline try their hardest to make it work, but can’t, so the next senior officer comes in, reinvents the wheel again, and invariably after fifteen years we all end up back just where we started.

Glad I’m out of it.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
We thought our little lad had caught it in April so you can imagine our surprise when he popped out in dozens of spots last week. We've deduced that he must have caught hand, foot and mouth the first time round given the location of the sores.

Certainly loads of chicken pox going around at the moment up round here.
She's already had hand, foot & mouth earlier this year! These spots are definitely worse.

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
Nothing has changed since 1992, when I joined. Probably goes back longer than that.

One of the big issues is that there are senior officers, after the next rank, who are Hell bent on reinventing the wheel. It’s a cyclical thing. Someone comes in, says everything is crap, conducts a review, changes things for change’s sake, gets promoted, buggers off and leaves carnage in their wake.

Those on the ground constantly shout “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it”, but the senior officers never listen to those who have to make their changes work. Why would they? They’ve got the degree in something totally unrelated to policing or public service, have done the minimum length of time possible getting their hands dirty, but they still know best.

So the frontline try their hardest to make it work, but can’t, so the next senior officer comes in, reinvents the wheel again, and invariably after fifteen years we all end up back just where we started.

Glad I’m out of it.
I think that happens in many industries / sectors, unfortunately.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site

Glad I’m out of it.
I have family in the Cumbrian police force and I recognise what you say, morale is ridiculously low, with about 70% of the front line officers eyeing up a move to the CNC at Sellafield with its low stress and plenty of overtime, it’s very tempting.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It's been one of those days.
Spent the morning rearranging the HiFi systems (new kit) and TV rack .
Had a late brunch, showered, changed just ready to go out and was going to go down the club to have a drink with the lads when I heard the radio say it is Wednesday. I had spent the entire morning thinking it was Thursday.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Trying to get back into a normal routine this week after my mother-in-law passed away just over a week ago, and now our little one has caught chickenpox. So they won't take her at nursery this week of course. 😞

What has happened to chicken pox parties.
When I was young if one caught it other mums used to bring their kids round to hope their kids got it so it was out the way.

It was actually a little god send for me.
I caught it when I was 13 in June. 2 weeks of 'living' in the back garden. When I was finally over it we realised I had lost 3 stone in those 2 weeks going from 13 stone to 10 stone. just before girls became part of my life.

Mum was not amused though as it meant none of my trousers fitted me. I wore 'taken in' ones for the last few weeks of term.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
What has happened to chicken pox parties.
When I was young if one caught it other mums used to bring their kids round to hope their kids got it so it was out the way.

It was actually a little god send for me.
I caught it when I was 13 in June. 2 weeks of 'living' in the back garden. When I was finally over it we realised I had lost 3 stone in those 2 weeks going from 13 stone to 10 stone. just before girls became part of my life.

Mum was not amused though as it meant none of my trousers fitted me. I wore 'taken in' ones for the last few weeks of term.
Nursery is basically one long chickenpox and every other disease 'party'. :LOL: It doesn't seem to have been too bad for her at only 18 months old, I think it is supposed to be easier the younger you are. She hasn't been crying loads, just slightly irritable but mostly happy as normal.

I can't remember what age I was when I had it, but I remember getting it so must have been a bit older - at a random guess I'd say between 7 and 9 maybe*. I remember sitting on the sofa in a dressing gown, and it was Christmas time because we had to cancel going to whatever family do we would have gone to.

* edit: Mum reckons between 4 and 6.

Bazzatron

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Nursery is basically one long chickenpox and every other disease 'party'. :LOL: It doesn't seem to have been too bad for her at only 18 months old, I think it is supposed to be easier the younger you are. She hasn't been crying loads, just slightly irritable but mostly happy as normal.

I can't remember what age I was when I had it, but I remember getting it so must have been a bit older - at a random guess I'd say between 7 and 9 maybe*. I remember sitting on the sofa in a dressing gown, and it was Christmas time because we had to cancel going to whatever family do we would have gone to.

* edit: Mum reckons between 4 and 6.

Best out of the way mate, my then 4 year old gave it to his 1 year old sister, it was definitely him who moaned the most.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Best out of the way mate, my then 4 year old gave it to his 1 year old sister, it was definitely him who moaned the most.

We had it last year, eldest got it, then both the twin but a week apart . I decided to get tonsillitis in the middle aswell so it was carnage in the house for a few weeks

But like you say best out the way

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The police going a little bit too far in Manchester Airport as one of them looks like too much red mist as he kicks someone in the head as they are on the floor
Or you could just hold back from damning them straight away until the full facts are made clear. Give the Police a break.

Some people just have to be the first on everything. Are you related to those who post on the local Facebook pages that the heli is up again scanning the local marshes?

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Or you could just hold back from damning them straight away until the full facts are made clear. Give the Police a break.

Some people just have to be the first on everything. Are you related to those who post on the local Facebook pages that the heli is up again scanning the local marshes?

🤷‍♂️ the guy was on the floor in handcuffs and he kicked him in the head

It’s on the BbC news , all over all social media channels 🙄

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
🤷‍♂️ the guy was on the floor and he kicked him in the head
But you don't know what went on before.

Years ago there was a picture of what looked like an aggressive young lad about to attack an old lady from behind. It garnered typical responses, but as the picture was widened to see the full context, it showed an aggressive looking young lad going after an old lady to stop her being crushed by some heavy falling items.
As I said, you don't know what went on before or the full picture.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site

Years ago there was a picture of what looked like an aggressive young lad about to attack an old lady from behind. It garnered typical responses, but as the picture was widened to see the full context, it showed an aggressive looking young lad going after an old lady to stop her being crushed by some heavy falling items.

It’s on BBC news - what went on before doesn’t justify kicking someone in the head as they are on the ground in handcuffs

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

So you think, as long as there was adequate provocation beforehand, the police officer was justified in kicking the assailant in the head even after he was restrained on the ground in handcuffs?

Morfeen75

Visit site

Ghastly scenes from the police. You cannot defend nor justify the behaviour of that officer. The person on the floor looked to be in handcuffs, i cant think of anything that would excuse a kick to the head.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So you think, as long as there was adequate provocation beforehand, the police officer was justified in kicking the assailant in the head even after he was restrained on the ground in handcuffs?
That isn't what I was saying, and the hand cuffs weren't mentioned at my initial replies.

PaulMdj

Visit site
He wasn’t in handcuffs or restrained when the policeman in the video is filmed.