Random Irritations

PaulMdj

Visit site
Members of a forum who don’t understand what a forum is:
Noun:
A meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.
"we hope these pages act as a forum for debate"

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
I believe the 10% figure actually means that 10% of your area will experience rain and not that there is a 10% chance of rain in your area
My understanding is that it means of the thousands of forecasts they run using very slightly adjusted starting parameters, 10% of them predict rain.

Note that Met Office never declares 0% or 100%. Even if none or all of the runs predict rain, they will report ≤5% or ≥95%

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
My understanding is that it means of the thousands of forecasts they run using very slightly adjusted starting parameters, 10% of them predict rain.

Note that Met Office never declares 0% or 100%. Even if none or all of the runs predict rain, they will report ≤5% or ≥95%
The Met Office ‘deep dive’ analyses that they put up on YouTube every week or so are really interesting and insightful into understanding the complexities of the British maritime weather. Part of an analysis is the spread of possible forecasts (parametric Monte Carlo simulations?), and the uncertainty around the forecast they publish.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
According to the Met Office info (for their forecasts, that is) 10% chance of rain means just that - ie in the area in question, there is a 10% probability that it will rain at some point during the period being forecast.

Which to me, means it very likely wont rain, but it's possible it might. Conversely, I take 90% chance as being you're likely to get wet - but you may be lucky.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
According to the Met Office info (for their forecasts, that is) 10% chance of rain means just that - ie in the area in question, there is a 10% probability that it will rain at some point during the period being forecast.

Which to me, means it very likely wont rain, but it's possible it might. Conversely, I take 90% chance as being you're likely to get wet - but you may be lucky.
I always use this when checking the weather

IMG_8237.png

It gives a very good forecast on what might be coming

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
So I get at least 4 text messages to attend my doctors surgery for a blood pressure test, that they booked without my knowledge, including one text last evening.

This morning I get a cancellation and that I've to ring them to make another appointment. 🥴
Brewery and p up spring to mind

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
So I get at least 4 text messages to attend my doctors surgery for a blood pressure test, that they booked without my knowledge, including one text last evening.

This morning I get a cancellation and that I've to ring them to make another appointment. 🥴
Brewery and p up spring to mind
Sounds as organised as my surgery. Had my annual diabetic review last week and when I called them to arrange initially the receptionist arranged a follow up phone consultation with a doctor. When i got to the review and asked the nurse to remind me of the follow up as I hadn't been notified it wasn't showing on her system and apparently it is down to me to now book it

Alan Clifford

Visit site
I believe the 10% figure actually means that 10% of your area will experience rain and not that there is a 10% chance of rain in your area
Last time I tried to work that out, I think I discovered it means different things in different countries. But both interpretations seem meaningless to me. 80% seems a lot but if there's only going to 0.1 mm in an hour, basically the reality is that the air is going to be slightly damp.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
The video of Paddy Pimblett in the pub celebrating England losing to Spain(he’s English).
Really hope Bobby Green KO’s him at UFC 304 🙏