Random Irritations

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
BBC weather is rubbish these days.
Ain’t the BBC’s fault..need to blame the forecast company (Meteo Group) they now use since they dumped The Met Office in 2018

Note…I understand that as part of the supplier comp tendering process the accuracy of forecasts was assessed and The Met Office were the best..but funding and budget and other stuff more important than accuracy of forecast drove the selection of Meteo Group.🤷‍♂️

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ain’t the BBC’s fault..need to blame the forecast company (Meteo Group) they now use since they dumped The Met Office in 2018 🤷‍♂️
It is their fault if they keep using a provider that gives duff information. They chose to move providers, this is a consequence. It's put out on their website, ergo it's their responsibility.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
It is their fault if they keep using a provider that gives duff information. They chose to move providers, this is a consequence. It's put out on their website, ergo it's their responsibility.
It’s not “duff” information as such - they now use the same weather satellites etc as the Weather Channel - it’s always as ever interpretation of the weather fronts and being an island how the wind moves

The weather is volatile and it doesn’t take much to change it

There will never be a 100% guarantee way to predict the weather because of the differing weather systems around the UK

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Duff was a throwaway comment but I check a few sites and the BBC is frequently the most inaccurate. Why keep checking, next obvious question,? It's easy to bounce there from the news or sports site.

Mandofred

Visit site
My weather checks are Met, Weather.com, BBC+ Accuweather. BBC is by far the most inaccurate. I usually just check Weather.com and Met.....weather.com used to be better, MET has done something and they now get things a lot more accurate.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Maybe they have a contract that is for longer than 5yrs…and I am thinking that the variability of the British maritime climate is such that there won’t be an exit clause based upon accuracy of forecasting - unfortunately.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
We are actually going to Lagos, I posted the Alvor forecasts as i knew someone would say one of them must be Nigeria :D

The forecasts for Lagos mirror the Alvor ones, it's some difference, 15 degrees.

We've been to Alvor a few years ago, really liked it. We had a day trip to Lagos then and thought it had a nice laidback feel to it, so we're giving it a try this year.
I've been to Alvor at least 20 times, love it.
PM me if you want any restaurant tips.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Ain’t the BBC’s fault..need to blame the forecast company (Meteo Group) they now use since they dumped The Met Office in 2018

Note…I understand that as part of the supplier comp tendering process the accuracy of forecasts was assessed and The Met Office were the best..but funding and budget and other stuff more important than accuracy of forecast drove the selection of Meteo Group.🤷‍♂️
OK, I'll blame the BBC for picking a crap forecaster.

Alan Clifford

Visit site
We are off to Portugal next week. I thought I’d check the weather out.

How can these forecasts be so different?
I like yr.

The BBC tell you that there is an 80% chance of precipitation bur YR tell you that the preciptation for that hour is 0.1 mm

The met. office weather map showing the weather coming in I like.

Last edited:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I looked at Met Office, Accuweather (or notsoaccuweather) and BBC weather on Saturday during a heavy shower. None had rain and the most anyone had was a 10% chance on Met Office (technically correct I guess). All a waste of time

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I looked at Met Office, Accuweather (or notsoaccuweather) and BBC weather on Saturday during a heavy shower. None had rain and the most anyone had was a 10% chance on Met Office (technically correct I guess). All a waste of time
I believe the 10% figure actually means that 10% of your area will experience rain and not that there is a 10% chance of rain in your area