Random Irritations

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
1708978438906.png

I've got no problem with Sam Smith, and as far as I'm concerned he can dress how he wants and do what he wants. My random irritation is with Metro describing him as looking "sensational". Does he really? Or does he actually look like a bearded, overweight man in a vest and skirt?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
View attachment 52076

I've got no problem with Sam Smith, and as far as I'm concerned he can dress how he wants and do what he wants. My random irritation is with Metro describing him as looking "sensational". Does he really? Or does he actually look like a bearded, overweight man in a vest and skirt?
Have to agree - there is body positivity, and encouraging people to be their true selves - but then there is going too far and outright lying. 😂

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Spotted an Motocaddy M1 Pro electric trolley on Marketplace, described "as new". Quick bit of research revealed that the particular model was manufactured and sold between 2012 and 2017. Sent the seller a message asking how old the trolley was. It's 2 years old was the answer. Yeah, right.

Also saw a S1 Digital on eBay. Asked the seller how old it was. 4-5 years old he replied. From what I could see, these were actually sold between 2010 and 2012.

Some right chancers out there.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
This reminds me of the time (before he left school) when my son had a part time job for a plastic components factory.
One of his jobs was to count out 1,000 widgets. So, soon after he got bored he decided to weigh up thousand of them rather than all that counting!
His manager noticed and asked what he was doing. Son explained and the manager said, wow, we've never thought of doing that! 😂
My first job after leaving uni in 1978 was at ICL. I was asked to check the output from a regression test, which involved comparing some output listings with a reference set.
And the way this comparison was always done was to manually read through the outputs on paper. This was even though the two sets of outputs were in the computer file system.
There was a lot of it. They said it should take about 2 weeks.

Horrified at the monotony facing me, and aware of how error prone it would be, I wrote a simple Fortran program to do it and after half a day it was finished. My reward was to get a b*llocking for "being a smart arse". But they carried on using the program for future regression tests.

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Oh no. Imagine trying to let parents know that their children are going to hear a racist term.

Out of interest, at which point would you think it is ok to let them know a racist word is used? The n word?

well said. Let's protect everyone. Can't believe they made stuff like this

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No, they don’t, I’m just trying to find out where Mr Wokingham draws the line at using racist terms without at least letting parents know.

perhaps Mr Wokingham has not even watched it and perhaps he objects to evrything historic being reclassified to appease the cancel culture mob of today when there are much better uses of human capital and resources but thanks you for raisng your hand to stand up for the wokification of society. Maybe teaching history it was and teaching today's society to understand how some things that were wrong then that are not acceptable now would be a better policy rather than changing, sensoring or limiting access to history.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
perhaps Mr Wokingham has not even watched it and perhaps he objects to evrything historic being reclassified to appease the cancel culture mob of today when there are much better uses of human capital and resources but thanks you for raisng your hand to stand up for the wokification of society. Maybe teaching history it was and teaching today's society to understand how some things that were wrong then that are not acceptable now would be a better policy rather than changing, sensoring or limiting access to history.

Well this is my random irritation

Misuse of the word woke.

Not directly at you Wokingham (ironically there lol)

But woke is simply being awoken to issues that others around you which isn't a bad thing at all. If anything its a good thing

This is political correctness.

So as a moan about political correctness I understand your frustration even tho I personally don't agree

However wokeness is a wonderful thing.

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Well this is my random irritation

Misuse of the word woke.

Not directly at you Wokingham (ironically there lol)

But woke is simply being awoken to issues that others around you which isn't a bad thing at all. If anything its a good thing

This is political correctness.

So as a moan about political correctness I understand your frustration even tho I personally don't agree

However wokeness is a wonderful thing.

Woke started off as something different than it is now with all good intentions and whether you like it or not it is not the same as the literal meaning when it appeared. It is now totally morphed into cancel culture brigade from any of the causes that try and "disrupt and protect" our society from BLM, Just Stop Oil and all the rightous across the univesity world in Europe and US that try to stop debate and free speach. Hopefully the tide is turning on this. Anyway, not going into this any further so as Bob says "i am out"!