Random Irritations

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Agree with the irritation and add the other side of that coin; customers who want definitive answers that are impossible to give i.e So delivery will definitely be on Tuesday?
;)
Perhaps some honesty would go a long way (and be less irritating). Rather than "we should be able to deliver on Tuesday" and then it doesn't arrive - why not say "we'll attempt to deliver Tuesday but it may not be possible - if you want a guaranteed day we'd better go with Wednesday."

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Perhaps some honesty would go a long way (and be less irritating). Rather than "we should be able to deliver on Tuesday" and then it doesn't arrive - why not say "we'll attempt to deliver Tuesday but it may not be possible - if you want a guaranteed day we'd better go with Wednesday."

Except there can be no guarantee of Wednesday or any day

Driver off sick, traffic accident, damaged goods and a thousand other reasons why a planned delivery might not happen, but once its given some customers 'waive' their missed guaranteed delivery about seeking compensation etc because customers don't want to hear a list of caveats because it doesn't suit either side to acknowledge them

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

Driver off sick, traffic accident, damaged goods and a thousand other reasons why a planned delivery might not happen, but once its given some customers 'waive' their missed guaranteed delivery about seeking compensation etc because customers don't want to hear a list of caveats because it doesn't suit either side to acknowledge them
Sounds like excuses to me.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

The only time I tell a customer that a delivery can be guaranteed is when they chose to pay for a dedicated driver. If someone gets heated about a delivery having to be there, I throw that at them. They have to arrange it, I'll help the loading ;). Anything else is open to variables that you can not control, as you say.

I get Orikoru's point but guarantee is not a word to throw around lightly in business, you learn that early on.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Walked out of my last office job over this issue
I'd told a Sales Director that product A SHOULD be delivered to us on day X
He went and told the customer that it was coming in on day X and he would have it the next day.
Of course the lorry broke down and didn't arrive until after the despatched had gone...
Sales Director had to take the product in his car and drive 190 miles next morning to deliver it.
I got hauled up in front of him and the MD to explain...I said, as I had said for the previous 20 years in that job, that I never say something will be delivered as too many things can go wrong
MD sided with the SD and were about to issue warnings etc and I just dropped my files on his desk, said Well if you can do it better you can get on with it and went home...3 days later I was training as a driving instructor :ROFLMAO:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
The only time I tell a customer that a delivery can be guaranteed is when they chose to pay for a dedicated driver. If someone gets heated about a delivery having to be there, I throw that at them. They have to arrange it, I'll help the loading ;). Anything else is open to variables that you can not control, as you say.

I get Orikoru's point but guarantee is not a word to throw around lightly in business, you learn that early on.
In summary, I just think a lot of customer service people tell the customer what they want to hear even when it's not achievable. I think a bit of honesty goes a long way - if the customer doesn't accept it then that's up to them I suppose. They're only going to react even worse if you make a false promise that can't be met.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
In summary, I just think a lot of customer service people tell the customer what they want to hear even when it's not achievable. I think a bit of honesty goes a long way - if the customer doesn't accept it then that's up to them I suppose. They're only going to react even worse if you make a false promise that can't be met.

Captain Kirk: Mr.Scott. Have you always multiplied your repair estimates by a factor of four?

Scotty: Certainly, Sir. How else can I keep my reputation as a miracle worker?”

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I totally agree about being honest, never over promise. I will say to a customer that we will ship on day X, when I know we definitely have it. I then point out the carrier, if UK, should deliver next day but we can not guarantee that. If they want a guarantee, if it is that critical, then they need a dedicated driver / vehicle. Otherwise, 98% of the time it will be there next day but you could be part of the 2%. Once something is out of your hands, despatch is with me, delivery is not, then you have to be careful with wording. It sounds pedantic but when you have been on the end of an ear bashing about a late delivery out of your control, pedantry becomes important 😄

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Three people adding my item to watchlist on Ebay and none of them bidding. What are you watching it for then?? Flipping timewasters! You're expecting a bidding war and then nothing.. it just expires.

Imurg

Visit site
People - on here, in real life, everywhere - falling into the trap of " this is the way it's done here/this is how I do it/this is how we do it" and assuming that it's done the same way the whole world over....nor is it necessarily the correct way.
Many ways of skinning a cat there are........

Imurg

Visit site
Three people adding my item to watchlist on Ebay and none of them bidding. What are you watching it for then?? Flipping timewasters! You're expecting a bidding war and then nothing.. it just expires.
They may have a similar item and want to know how the market is going right now....

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Sometimes it is the customer hearing what they want to hear as well 😀

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
People - on here, in real life, everywhere - falling into the trap of " this is the way it's done here/this is how I do it/this is how we do it" and assuming that it's done the same way the whole world over....nor is it necessarily the correct way.
Many ways of skinning a cat there are........
One of my absolute hates in a work place. When I got this job and starting asking why we did a certain task I got the "because that's what we've always done" The question to can it be done better if it's needed at all got the "that's the way we've always done it". Suffice to say we sat down as a team and we had an open discussion on ways of working and being empowered to question things if they thought it was superfluous or there was a better way to do stuff. My team are now experts of asking the why question back to others!!!