Random Irritations

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Lorry drivers who decide to overtake other lorries who are going a tiny bit slower and take an eternity to get past them. What's the point.how much time are you going to gain

The A14 is a nightmare with container lorries doing that constantly. Can't the driver in the inside lane slow a little to allow the other one to pass quicker?! It seems not...

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Lorry drivers who decide to overtake other lorries who are going a tiny bit slower and take an eternity to get past them. What's the point.how much time are you going to gain

I understand where you’re coming from, and I was one of those frustrated drivers, but how much time do you really lose…

If the lorry is doing 40mph, and you’re stuck behind it for an extra 5mins you ‘lose’ 2 miles. Two mins difference on your journey, and that’s assuming you would have travelled at 60mph. If it happens 5 times in a long journey, 10mins max. And with all the stops/starts and slowing down, it’s less than 10mins.

I truly understand the frustration, been there, but nowadays it doesn’t bother me.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
How do you record a channel as opposed the program ? Do you
There's no problem - if you are patient!
My understanding is that almost all lorries are governed, so overtaking isn't a quick process for them.
And, of course, if you overtake both, the road ahead will almost certainly be pretty empty for a long way ahead, so a nice relaxing period of quicker driving - within the legal limit of course!:rolleyes:
It would, however, be better if the limiter could be over-ridden for a short period to allow overtaking of marginally slower lorries without exceeding the speed limit or holding up other traffic excessively. But that's a sophistication few units are likely to have/want.
LT's irritation is understandable. An overtaking artic' travelling 1mph faster than the other (not unusual in the era of limiters) will take absolute minimum of 3 mins to get past it - ie about 3 miles. Which is way longer than many a dualled overtaking section of a lot of A roads.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
It is a problem, particularly if you live in an area where motorways or dual carriageways are not standard. Even more so when you get short passing stretches that become useless due to one of these manoeuvres.
If that's the case, then better planning in the first place - leaving 5-10 min early - is the best 'workaround'. There have been many studies in various parts of the world and 'impatience' figures high on the list of causes for accidents.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
LT's irritation is understandable. An overtaking artic' travelling 1mph faster than the other (not unusual in the era of limiters) will take absolute minimum of 3 mins to get past it - ie about 3 miles. Which is way longer than many a dualled overtaking section of a lot of A roads.
And there'll be 3 miles of empty road once you get past them!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
If that's the case, then better planning in the first place - leaving 5-10 min early - is the best 'workaround'. There have been many studies in various parts of the world and 'impatience' figures high on the list of causes for accidents.
Better planning :rolleyes:. The original irritation, and mine, was not about being late on a journey, it was about being held up be a selfish driver who is gaining virtually nothing but irritating many.

And there'll be 3 miles of empty road once you get past them!
No, because other cars will be joining ahead via other junctions and slip roads.

Accept it irritates others and move on.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Accept it irritates others and move on.
Oh I do. But I challenge those who suggest it's somebody else's 'fault' when the 'cause' could have been avoided/isn't really a problem.
FWIW, I drove around 200miles/day for 6+ years on various types of road. Patience was the attribute that kept me sane or even amused!

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm on holiday in Cornwall with my wife and she has Radio 2 on. It's not a station that I ever listen to. Now I know why as the music is absolute tosh.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
On a train at the moment and some inconsiderate Pratt is listening to This Morning so half the carriage can hear, not only that it’s about cancer , menopause and vaginal dryness ?

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
The cost of food.

Mrs BiM usually does the food shopping, but I did yesterday as I was passing the supermarket on my way home.

I bought enough food (fresh ingredients) for 5 days, nothing outrageous, no luxury items or coffee/tea etc.

Less than 3 full bags was £99.

The most shocking thing was the price of a block of Morrisons own butter at £2.50.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
The cost of food.

Mrs BiM usually does the food shopping, but I did yesterday as I was passing the supermarket on my way home.

I bought enough food (fresh ingredients) for 5 days, nothing outrageous, no luxury items or coffee/tea etc.

The most shocking thing was the price of a block of Morrisons own butter at £2.50.

Similar experience, I rarely do the shopping but did last week, not funny at the till.
In fact if there's one place masks should still be compulsory its supermarket staff
mask.jpg

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
The cost of food.

I do the shopping for my wife and me and the weekly shop is still about £50 give or take. OK, have a well stocked spice rack and all the basics in the cupboard and some things we buy in bulk a couple of times a year.

Butter is ridiculously expensive though. The dairry farm up the road from me has a milk and butter vending machine so I use that the support local plus re-useable glass bottles means better environmentally too.