Presentations on the same day as the competition

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
If the club needs to enforce this condition on its members to get them into the bar then their problems run much deeper than this compulsory attendance edict will ever solve would be my opinion, but we’ll agree to differ on it ?
And likely to promote overindulgence too! Would that (had to wait for results) be good defence in court? :ROFLMAO:

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
They've got a twitter account for the gents competitions. Forget the tweet, and the stupid rule about attending the prize giving. That alone is a red flag for a club seriously out of touch with modern values.
We're moving to gender neutral tees, progressive clubs will have mixed comps - and here's a club with not only a men only competetions, they've got a men only twitter account to highlight their archaic stupidity to the golfing world.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
They've got a twitter account for the gents competitions. Forget the tweet, and the stupid rule about attending the prize giving. That alone is a red flag for a club seriously out of touch with modern values.
We're moving to gender neutral tees, progressive clubs will have mixed comps - and here's a club with not only a men only competetions, they've got a men only twitter account to highlight their archaic stupidity to the golfing world.
I'm not a big follower of Twitter but is the concept that archaic.
We have gender neutral tees, men's competitions , mixed competitions ladies competitions as well as age group competitions. Is it really unusual for the results and announcements to go through different channels?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Seems a touch hypocritical from someone with 'LAD GOLF' as an avatar!

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
I'm not a big follower of Twitter but is the concept that archaic.
We have gender neutral tees, men's competitions , mixed competitions ladies competitions as well as age group competitions. Is it really unusual for the results and announcements to go through different channels?

Well, why not just have a twitter account for all the results? Club I played at - and the one I'll join when I return to the UK didn't have single sex comps - the blokes and the girls all played in the same comps - and it's the same with the golf society I pay in here (and pretty much every society for that matter).

Everybody want's inclusivity in golf, unless of course being inclusive means they might have to change their attitudes slightly, then they revert to the exclusivity they are comfortable with.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Well, why not just have a twitter account for all the results? Club I played at - and the one I'll join when I return to the UK didn't have single sex comps - the blokes and the girls all played in the same comps - and it's the same with the golf society I pay in here (and pretty much every society for that matter).

Everybody want's inclusivity in golf, unless of course being inclusive means they might have to change their attitudes slightly, then they revert to the exclusivity they are comfortable with.
Is it really archaic to suggest that sometimes people want to play a sport for some of the time in the company of their own sex.
I see sessions set aside for single sex swimming, single sex gym sessions etc.
My daughter enjoys both her mixed hockey and her womens hockey.
At my own club we have both mixed competitions and single sex competitions. I don't receive the results of ladies comps neither does my wife receive the result of mens comps.
Nowt wrong with having exclusively mixed competitions if thats what you want , that does not mean a club should be written of as archaic because it also runs single sex ones.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Is it really archaic to suggest that sometimes people want to play a sport for some of the time in the company of their own sex.
I see sessions set aside for single sex swimming, single sex gym sessions etc.
My daughter enjoys both her mixed hockey and her womens hockey.
At my own club we have both mixed competitions and single sex competitions. I don't receive the results of ladies comps neither does my wife receive the result of mens comps.
Nowt wrong with having exclusively mixed competitions if thats what you want , that does not mean a club should be written of as archaic because it also runs single sex ones.

Golf courses have tees for different levels of ability and gender. Golfers have handicaps to compensate for their own abilty against the course. What good reason is there for having competetitions exclusively for one sex or the other?

My son has been playing in competitions here with the adults (male and female) since he had just turned 11, plays off the same tees, same handicap system - it's absolutely bloody brilliant. Everybody competes for the same prizes and trophies - there isn't a whiff of exclusivity about it all.

A twitter account for a Gents competition section is out of date, and the context of the tweet that we are all discussing suggests that the golf club have some pretty skewed views on what is fair and what isn't. I'm sure the vast majority of members and people at the club are fantastic people, but when people see things like this on social media, it puts the club, and golf, in a bad light.

D

Deleted member 29109

I was pleasantly surprised that this particular golf club had a sensible dress code.

I was fully excepting a white socks and no hoodies policy.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Golf courses have tees for different levels of ability and gender. Golfers have handicaps to compensate for their own abilty against the course. What good reason is there for having competetitions exclusively for one sex or the other?

My son has been playing in competitions here with the adults (male and female) since he had just turned 11, plays off the same tees, same handicap system - it's absolutely bloody brilliant. Everybody competes for the same prizes and trophies - there isn't a whiff of exclusivity about it all.

A twitter account for a Gents competition section is out of date, and the context of the tweet that we are all discussing suggests that the golf club have some pretty skewed views on what is fair and what isn't. I'm sure the vast majority of members and people at the club are fantastic people, but when people see things like this on social media, it puts the club, and golf, in a bad light.
I don't think there is a single sport where the facilities cannot be used by both sexes. But virtually every sport has some separate competitions.
Personally I enjoy both in golf.
The curse of modern communication is too much junk information. I don't see why everyone has to have a breathless account of the quarter finals of the old codgers winter foursomes even though it may interest those who have participated. Having a seperate account for the information about different sections whether old/ young / junior/ male /female or whatever is neither absurd nor exclusive as long as people have equal opportunity.
The individual tweet may have been ill judged, I haven't read it. I don't think that means that having a seperate account for the information about one sections competitions is archaic. It just inflicts less junk notifications on those who have no interest.

With regards to your son I am very glad he enjoys it, in my experience at a slightly older age young people often enjoy playing competitions with people of their own age , Do you not think your son might enjoy that as well in years to come?

Last edited:

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
I don't think there is a single sport where the facilities cannot be used by both sexes. But virtually every sport has some separate competitions.
Personally I enjoy both in golf.
The curse of modern communication is too much junk information. I don't see why everyone has to have a breathless account of the quarter finals of the old codgers winter foursomes even though it may interest those who have participated. Having a seperate account for the information about different sections whether old/ young / junior/ male /female or whatever is neither absurd nor exclusive as long as people have equal opportunity.
The individual tweet may have been ill judged, I haven't read it. I don't think that means that having a seperate account for the information about one sections competitions is archaic. It just inflicts less junk notifications on those who have no interest.

With regards to your son I am very glad he enjoys it, in my experience at a slightly older age young people often enjoy playing competitions with people of their own age , Do you not think your son might enjoy that as well in years to come?

Of course, he enjoys playing now with people his own age, infact a couple of weeks ago he played in a two day tournament with juniors from across the south of the Alicante region - it was a mixed event and he was with a couple of girls on the first day, and a couple of lads on the 2nd.

As for other sports, well how many of them allow people of differing sex, age and ability to comepete together? Golf is pretty unique in that manner, it allows for inclusivity, especailly at amateur and club level. We should celebrate that in the game, embrace it, show the rest of the sporting world that we have a game where everybody can participate, and compete, without discrimination. I've been playing regular golf for about 7 years now, since I took up at a membership at my old club, and aside from when I occasionally played for the Rabbits section, I've played in 100's of comps /medals etc, and not one of them has been for gents only. I have NEVER felt at anytime, that any of those comps should be restricted to gents only.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Of course, he enjoys playing now with people his own age, infact a couple of weeks ago he played in a two day tournament with juniors from across the south of the Alicante region - it was a mixed event and he was with a couple of girls on the first day, and a couple of lads on the 2nd.

As for other sports, well how many of them allow people of differing sex, age and ability to comepete together? Golf is pretty unique in that manner, it allows for inclusivity, especailly at amateur and club level. We should celebrate that in the game, embrace it, show the rest of the sporting world that we have a game where everybody can participate, and compete, without discrimination. I've been playing regular golf for about 7 years now, since I took up at a membership at my old club, and aside from when I occasionally played for the Rabbits section, I've played in 100's of comps /medals etc, and not one of them has been for gents only. I have NEVER felt at anytime, that any of those comps should be restricted to gents only.

Plenty of other sports allow people of different sexes and ages to compete together. Virtually all racket sports for a start . All running and swimming sports. Sometimes people enjoy competting against people of their own sex and sometimes against people of their own age group. There is no reason why some competitions should not be mixed nor is there any reason why every competition should be mixed. Most scratch competitions would be dominated predominantly by men between late teens and a late 40's that would be exclusive.
Frankly I would not particularly enjoy my golf if it was spent frequently in the company of say two eleven year old girls who I didn't know. I imagine they would enjoy it even less.
I don't think that is archaic it is human nature.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Plenty of other sports allow people of different sexes and ages to compete together. Virtually all racket sports for a start . All running and swimming sports. Sometimes people enjoy competting against people of their own sex and sometimes against people of their own age group. There is no reason why some competitions should not be mixed nor is there any reason why every competition should be mixed. Most scratch competitions would be dominated predominantly by men between late teens and a late 40's that would be exclusive.
Frankly I would not particularly enjoy my golf if it was spent frequently in the company of say two eleven year old girls who I didn't know. I imagine they would enjoy it even less.
I don't think that is archaic it is human nature

But that would never be the case would it, because in the real world we tend to put our names on competition sheets with people that we enjoy playing golf with. And what's to say those 11 year old girls, or boys, might not relish the chance to regulalry compete against adults?

I understand your point of view, but what reason would male golfers have for not wanting to compete with and against females - if the course, rules and handicaps are set fairly, then what is the problem?

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
But that would never be the case would it, because in the real world we tend to put our names on competition sheets with people that we enjoy playing golf with. And what's to say those 11 year old girls, or boys, might not relish the chance to regulalry compete against adults?

I understand your point of view, but what reason would male golfers have for not wanting to compete with and against females - if the course, rules and handicaps are set fairly, then what is the problem?
There is not reason why male golfers cannot in some handicap competitions play against females but I see no reaon why they should have to. I am not advocating banning mixed competitions the last two competitions I have played in have been mixed but I also enjoy playing in single sex competitions and I see no reason why they should in any sense be seen as old fashioned they exist in every other sport, many people of both sexes enjoy them.
And in our club or real world all even semi-serious competitions are drawn rather than putting your name on team sheets with people of your choosing.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
Our section used to do presentations on the evening of the competition, but as long as you gave your apologies, you could come to any presentation in the next month to receive the prize.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Our section used to do presentations on the evening of the competition, but as long as you gave your apologies, you could come to any presentation in the next month to receive the prize.

We try to have a presentation after our major events to congratulate the winner and the club does try to encourage people to come back but there's no level of expectation. All the trophies get formally presented at presentation night which the club does want as many coming and usually puts on a meal or run another social event on in conjunction to get members attending. Usually get a respectable turnout