Presentations on the same day as the competition

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Our section used to do presentations on the evening of the competition, but as long as
you gave your apologies, you could come to any presentation in the next month to receive the prize.
Seem sensible to me!
We try to have a presentation after our major events to congratulate the winner and the club does try to encourage people to come back but there's no level of expectation. All the trophies get formally presented at presentation night which the club does want as many coming and usually puts on a meal or run another social event on in conjunction to get members attending. Usually get a respectable turnout
The only Majors in which I featured and where there was a level of expectation of attendance for awards/presentation afterward were 2-rounders, so the leaders from round 1 - and likely attendees - went out in reverse order in round 2.

D

Deleted member 29109

There is not reason why male golfers cannot in some handicap competitions play against females but I see no reaon why they should have to. I am not advocating banning mixed competitions the last two competitions I have played in have been mixed but I also enjoy playing in single sex competitions and I see no reason why they should in any sense be seen as old fashioned they exist in every other sport, many people of both sexes enjoy them.
And in our club or real world all even semi-serious competitions are drawn rather than putting your name on team sheets with people of your choosing.

Why do you enjoy playing comps just against men? What difference does it make to your game?

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Why do you enjoy playing comps just against men? What difference does it make to your game?
I've no idea if it makes any difference to my game but I do prefer it. AS stated before the idea of frequently playing with children is not something I would enjoy either . Which does not mean I think they should not have access to the course or their own competitions.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Some of this makes me smile.
If a mens' section having a Twitter feed is outdated, is a womens' one similarly outdated?

I think its is daft there are not more mixed club events. Most Pairs Opens have mixed teams these days. No harm dine!

It's time the Tours got a proper mixed event. The Olympics should be mixed four balls or foursomes. Big opportunity missed.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site

Ok, if you can't see the problem, you are part of the problem.

Modern golf clubs should aspire to total equality, no ladies sections, no reduced memberships, no gents sections, just everybody out there playing golf together, with their friends - be they male or female. And as a result of that, there would not be a need for a social media account to provide the competetion results "Just for Men"

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Twaddle!
Modern golf clubs should aspire to total equality, no ladies sections, no reduced memberships, no gents sections, just everybody out there playing golf together, with their friends - be they male or female. And as a result of that, there would not be a need for a social media account to provide the competetion results "Just for Men"
Total equality does mean 'lack of sections'! It means equality, pure and simple! Fine having single/combined comps. I'd also expect there to be a Ladies version of that Twitter account too.
Oh and I presume you and every other parent would be happy paying the 'standard' full rate for your/their lads and/or lasses, as that's the 'total equality' you ae suggesting!

phillarrow

Visit site

Why should they be? They can be, but why should they be?
I know plenty of lady golfers who prefer to play with other lady golfers, plenty who like mixed play, some who want a lady's league, those who want all comps and leagues to be combined.

The world is full of different people who want different things. Why should they all conform to your idea of what equality looks like?

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site

And everybody should only be allowed to hit the ball same distance or move back to the shortest drive, dress the same to ensure nobody has better expensive clothes, no golf hierarchy, no captains, no fiddles, shotgun starts only so everyone tees off at the same time, there are no competitions as it’s unfair for someone to win and someone to lose. No expensive cars in the car park.
Everyone must be equal.
Everyone must be the same.
No advantages.

Where does the madness end?

D

Deleted member 29109

And everybody should only be allowed to hit the ball same distance or move back to the shortest drive, dress the same to ensure nobody has better expensive clothes, no golf hierarchy, no captains, no fiddles, shotgun starts only so everyone tees off at the same time, there are no competitions as it’s unfair for someone to win and someone to lose. No expensive cars in the car park.
Everyone must be equal.
Everyone must be the same.
No advantages.

Where does the madness end?

I think you are confusing equality of opportunity with equality of outcome. No one is arguing for the latter.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site

Doesn't sound very family friendly if everyone pays the same fees with no reduced membership.
Most kids couldn't afford it.
You appear to have completely skirted the issue of scratch competitions.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Twaddle!

Total equality does mean 'lack of sections'! It means equality, pure and simple! Fine having single/combined comps. I'd also expect there to be a Ladies version of that Twitter account too.
Oh and I presume you and every other parent would be happy paying the 'standard' full rate for your/their lads and/or lasses, as that's the 'total equality' you ae suggesting!

But there shouldn't be a ladies twitter account - why not just have an account that tweets all the comp results? Why the need to segregate the men from the ladies. Ladies shouldn't have discounted membership rates because they are female - by all means have a reduced membership package for people that are prepared to limit their access to the course, but if you only offer that to women, it's sexism - pure and simple. It works both ways - Men should not have the priveledge to access membership packages that offer them more access to the course than women have the optiopn to buy - although I'll be honest, I'd hope there aren't many clubs still following that practice.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
But there shouldn't be a ladies twitter account - why not just have an account that tweets all the comp results? Why the need to segregate the men from the ladies. Ladies shouldn't have discounted membership rates because they are female - by all means have a reduced membership package for people that are prepared to limit their access to the course, but if you only offer that to women, it's sexism - pure and simple. It works both ways - Men should not have the priveledge to access membership packages that offer them more access to the course than women have the optiopn to buy - although I'll be honest, I'd hope there aren't many clubs still following that practice.

There should be a ladies Twitter account, and a seniors, a juniors and a Mens.
These sections will have their own committee, people who sort out comps, prizes, awards as is with many clubs.
It makes it easier for those in the back ground running the club.

The Twitter account would be ran by a member, if the ladies wanted a Twitter account there is no stopping one of them to set up and likewise for the other sections. I doubt it is an official club Twitter account they already have one. Heck you could do it for you own club if you want.

8th March the club in question celebrated international womens day with a nice Twitter post and photo of the lady members and staff.

Don’t know many clubs that did that.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Just out of interest, how many females regularly contribute to this forum?

Some, but not enough!

Showed this to my wife. She doesn't want men in her comps. They are too slow and lose too many golf balls! She says.. (blooming cheek!)

I wonder if the ladies section there have "must stay to get a prize" comps? Are they sexist and stuffy like the mens' version?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
But there shouldn't be a ladies twitter account - why not just have an account that tweets all the comp results? Why the need to segregate the men from the ladies. Ladies shouldn't have discounted membership rates because they are female - by all means have a reduced membership package for people that are prepared to limit their access to the course, but if you only offer that to women, it's sexism - pure and simple...
I wouldn't have a problem with a single, combined Twitter account, but I suspect its creation was demand driven! I don't see a problem with separate accounts either. It's why any/either of them are required in the first place that I'd query! Every commercial club software package has had the facility to enter and view results for years!