Presentations on the same day as the competition

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
Sorry, can’t agree with that. As a former emergency services worker, I could be on late turn that date, so can play but can’t attend in the evening; why should I be disbarred from winning for that? Even if I was off all day, in the event of a serious incident I could be called in to work when I should have been off and able to attend. As others have said, it’s archaic and provides evidence to those who claim that golf is stuck in the dark ages.
I used to do 4on 4off, made up of 2 days and then 2 nights. If golf fell on the day of my first night shift, it was perfect. I'd get an early tee time, usually be home around midday, quick shower and then try to get some sleep before starting work at 19:00.

Other than despising night shifts (humans are not designed to be working at 03:00), the amount of free time I had was incredible :)

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sorry, can’t agree with that. As a former emergency services worker, I could be on late turn that date, so can play but can’t attend in the evening; why should I be disbarred from winning for that? Even if I was off all day, in the event of a serious incident I could be called in to work when I should have been off and able to attend. As others have said, it’s archaic and provides evidence to those who claim that golf is stuck in the dark ages.

Yeah I agree that individual circumstances are a problem, even so, I don't think that should prevent a club offering these types of events provided it's not the default and it's made clear as part of the entry conditions. I don't think it's as simple as just the presentation, but as a special event I think it's possible to do well in a way that benefits the club and membership. I do think it's OK for a golf competition to be secondary to an evening's social event if a club or society wants it to.

Across my two clubs I have seen this scenario work well and badly for differing reasons. It's just one of those things that works for some but not others, it's not a big problem to me but I can't think of a reason why a club shouldn't try a mix of formats and conditions. Is it archaic? Depends. I think a blinkered refusal to change, try something new or different is more archaic than the conditions of events themselves. Why not try to offer a variety of formats and conditions for an evolving membership?

So it's up to the club for me. It'll work in some and not others. Same old story. :)

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Yeah I agree that individual circumstances are a problem, even so, I don't think that should prevent a club offering these types of events provided it's not the default and it's made clear as part of the entry conditions. I don't think it's as simple as just the presentation, but as a special event I think it's possible to do well in a way that benefits the club and membership. I do think it's OK for a golf competition to be secondary to an evening's social event if a club or society wants it to.

Across my two clubs I have seen this scenario work well and badly for differing reasons. It's just one of those things that works for some but not others, it's not a big problem to me but I can't think of a reason why a club shouldn't try a mix of formats and conditions. Is it archaic? Depends. I think a blinkered refusal to change, try something new or different is more archaic than the conditions of events themselves. Why not try to offer a variety of formats and conditions for an evolving membership?

So it's up to the club for me. It'll work in some and not others. Same old story. :)

If the club needs to enforce this condition on its members to get them into the bar then their problems run much deeper than this compulsory attendance edict will ever solve would be my opinion, but we’ll agree to differ on it ?

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
we have a prize giving after each comp on a Sunday, but we run a shot gun start so everyone is in the bar afterwards anyway and nobody is waiting round all day.

If you have to leave early, that doesnt effect your result in the comp, that just sounds ridiculous.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If the club needs to enforce this condition on its members to get them into the bar then their problems run much deeper than this compulsory attendance edict will ever solve would be my opinion, but we’ll agree to differ on it ?

Yep, in one club where I've seen it fail that was indeed true.

D

Deleted member 21258

Link not working ? Looks like page deleted ?

Been a member of such clubs, I just thought that I was not entering for prizes etc, as would not go back later after an earlier start.

Blue in Munich

Visit site
Link not working ? Looks like page deleted ?

Been a member of such clubs, I just thought that I was not entering for prizes etc, as would not go back later after an earlier start.

All well and good until your club puts in a condition that the earlier tee times are for competitors only, to ensure there are sufficient spaces for competitors. If I can’t attend the evening I’ve effectively been disbarred from being a competitor so can’t book the earlier tee time and therefore banned from playing that day.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
All well and good until your club puts in a condition that the earlier tee times are for competitors only, to ensure there are sufficient spaces for competitors. If I can’t attend the evening I’ve effectively been disbarred from being a competitor so can’t book the earlier tee time and therefore banned from playing that day.

Are we defining competitor as a low handicap player in this example?

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Regardless of club rules/tradition/convention......Would feel pretty hollow, being given 1st Prize ONLY cos folk hadn't hung around for the presentation.

How far back do they go? I wonder if anyone with an NR showed up to the presentation "on the off chance?" ?

Tweet now deleted. Got to be the funniest thing I've seen for a while. Sanctimonious rant, but containing a spelling and grammar error!

Last edited:

sunshine

Visit site

You need to get your priorities straight. A mid-week Stableford trophy is far more important than anything else. If people are dying in a burning building, let em toast while you collect your crystal and pro shop voucher.

Alternatively, these rules are set by people so important that they have nothing else in their life other than the golf club committee...

Blue in Munich

Visit site
You need to get your priorities straight. A mid-week Stableford trophy is far more important than anything else. If people are dying in a burning building, let em toast while you collect your crystal and pro shop voucher.

Alternatively, these rules are set by people so important that they have nothing else in their life other than the golf club committee...

You're not my wife are you? :unsure::LOL:

D

Deleted member 23270

I'm joining your club! If lucky we might get some bar card credit for a midweek stableford, no chance of crystal ?

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Pre covid, we had one 'major' a month in the summer - Captains Day, Vice Captains Day, Presidents Day and a few sponsored comps where the presentation was in the evening. It was not compulsory to attend and you did not lose your prizes if you failed to attend. It is designed to generate bar income and promote the social side. Hopefully it will return this year.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Presentations on the evening of an open or important comp were the norm back in the day. But stopped due to poor attendance.
But no need to be there to collect your prize, it would be posted or could be collected whenever.