Playing two competitions at two different clubs on same day

Pachanga

Visit site
Hi, I had a question about being a member of two different clubs. I am considering joining a second, more local club, due to less crowded tee times and better practice facilities.

Something that came to mind is could I play in a competition on the same day at different clubs. Current club only has competition tee times until 12pm, potential new club has the tee times for comps open later into the afternoon. Could I play a competition at current club in the morning, and if timings allow then go and play a competition at the second club on the same day?

I can see potential issues with this for WHS index purposes (say for example had a very good round at current club in the morning the index wouldn’t refresh until midnight therefore when playing a second round at new club the index wouldn’t be updated)

I had considered leaving current club but as I don’t know anyone at new club I was thinking to run them side by side for a year and then make a decision at the end. Sometimes the grass isn’t always greener!

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
The rule used to be something like this ...
If you think the morning round was good enough for a cut, cut yourself and play off the lower h/cap in the afternoon

Disclaimer...this may have changed.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Frequency of Revision of a Handicap Index Update​

A player’s Handicap Index should be updated no later than the day after a score was submitted, or as soon as possible thereafter.In a situation when a new round is played before the player’s Handicap Index has been updated, including when multiple rounds are played on the same day, it is recommended that the player uses their existing Handicap Index. However, in certain circumstances, the Committee in charge of the competition (or the Handicap Committee) has the discretion to decide what Playing Handicap the player should use (see Rule 7.2).

no requirement to self-adjust any more

Pachanga

Visit site
Thanks guys, really helpful and much appreciated. In an ideal world the new club will have competitions not on the same day as existing club so this wouldn’t be a problem but I do not know the schedules as yet

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi, I had a question about being a member of two different clubs. I am considering joining a second, more local club, due to less crowded tee times and better practice facilities.

Something that came to mind is could I play in a competition on the same day at different clubs. Current club only has competition tee times until 12pm, potential new club has the tee times for comps open later into the afternoon. Could I play a competition at current club in the morning, and if timings allow then go and play a competition at the second club on the same day?

I can see potential issues with this for WHS index purposes (say for example had a very good round at current club in the morning the index wouldn’t refresh until midnight therefore when playing a second round at new club the index wouldn’t be updated)

I had considered leaving current club but as I don’t know anyone at new club I was thinking to run them side by side for a year and then make a decision at the end. Sometimes the grass isn’t always greener!

One thing to remember is that you have to decide which of the two clubs is your home club and accepted practice is you chose the one that you play at the most.

Pachanga

Visit site
One thing to remember is that you have to decide which of the two clubs is your home club and accepted practice is you chose the one that you play at the most.
Thanks for the reminder. I think I would leave my home club as current club as more likely I would play that the most to start - especially competitions. I take it when playing the away club you would just submit a card there as you normally would? I am sure previously I read somewhere it is the responsibility of the home club to put through cards but this could be prior to WHS and automated systems etc.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The rule used to be something like this ...
If you think the morning round was good enough for a cut, cut yourself and play off the lower h/cap in the afternoon

Disclaimer...this may have changed.
I thought whs handicaps could only be updated overnight?

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Before the WHS you could easily workout your handicap between rounds played at different clubs on the same day. Simply by knowing the CSS for your 1st round then reducing or increasing your handicap accordingly.
Now you need the Internet or a calculator, thankfully it doesn't concern me any more.

wjemather

Visit site
Before the WHS you could easily workout your handicap between rounds played at different clubs on the same day. Simply by knowing the CSS for your 1st round then reducing or increasing your handicap accordingly.
Now you need the Internet or a calculator, thankfully it doesn't concern me any more.
Or... now, your handicap doesn't change between rounds played on the same day so you don't need to know or do anything at all. Much simpler.

AussieKB

Visit site
I'm a member of two clubs here in OZ and have played Competition in the morning at one club then backed up at the other in the afternoon, no problem re handicap issues.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the reminder. I think I would leave my home club as current club as more likely I would play that the most to start - especially competitions. I take it when playing the away club you would just submit a card there as you normally would? I am sure previously I read somewhere it is the responsibility of the home club to put through cards but this could be prior to WHS and automated systems etc.

You just tell the new club that your existing club will be your home club for handicap purposes (they need to know your WHS number) and they will list you as an away player. They then upload scores at that club to the WHS portal which will be added to your record. Your home club does not need to be notified.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Why the change?
Previously the onus was on the player and was much easier to determine. (Up 0.1, down 0.1,2 or 3 as appropriate to that round).
Now the player would need to know his 20th score and the best or worst of his best 8. And possibly, then recalculate a new average.
Too much hassle for most.

Last edited: