New Taylormade Gear

Grieve14

Head Pro
Visit site
I've never seen Crossfield slate a product so his face today when he spat the dummy out was hilarious. If I was TM I'd cut my ties with him completely. Plenty of others out there doing the same thing. I've watched the mid-handicapper reviews on Rick Shiels site and it's more realistic and if he tried to be less funny and focus on the testing he'd be far better

Wouldn’t make much difference if TM did cut their ties with him – He would, as he said in his dummy spitting video, still get hold of the club through different means and review it and give his opinion – that opinion may well be tarnished now though!

He has ties with GolfOnline so they will no doubt be able to supply him a demo one free of charge so he won’t even need to pay for it.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
DJ was there at the launch (they have new balls too) which was covered in Peter Finch's video. It's difficult as while I don't like Crossfield particularly and his video style it's hard to see exactly why he's upset TM and not sure I totally but their line of "didn't think you were doing any more reviews". That said, plenty of others giving some insights into the new gear and testing it so at least we as the potential customers get an idea of what the new gear offers

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Crossfield will be spitting nails when he sees this! :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrrnDcN7ZtQ

I don't think he was accidentally overlooked, I think they (TM) deliberately excluded him as they didn't want a class clown and the typical circus performance that he displays at their launch.

He comes with too much baggage IMO and it's all wearing thin on some brands IMO.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Rick Shiels has just put up a head-to-head test of the old M1 vs the new M1....

No difference in carry or length and hardly anything in any of the other numbers......

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Rick Shiels has just put up a head-to-head test of the old M1 vs the new M1....

No difference in carry or length and hardly anything in any of the other numbers......

I haven't watched it yet but he must mention some kind of difference, possibly forgiveness due to the extra slider 🤔

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
He set both heads to the same setting - front slider in the middle and the other weight all the way back - and used the same shaft.
One went slightly right, one went slightly left...but the same distance
Apparently getting some stick on SMedia about it.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
He set both heads to the same setting - front slider in the middle and the other weight all the way back - and used the same shaft.
One went slightly right, one went slightly left...but the same distance
Apparently getting some stick on SMedia about it.

Kind of underlines my point that if we can't get anything from watching a Pro who can also be inconsistent with they're swing and alignment then what on earth would we learn from watching a mid-handicapper with even greater inconsistencies, hence there handicap!

Marketing is full of buzz words that we cling to, with a driver they will be 'distance' and 'dispersion' offering greater 'consistency', if a pro can't physically demonstrate them what hope do we have 😜

Wilf

Club Champion
Visit site
I quite like Marks reviews and he always seems to give honest opinions without either expressing absolute love or hate for a product.

I thought his playing review of the 1 length irons with Coach was very interesting and how they both played and felt with them.

On the Taylormade front seems a strange decision by them, he often says he gets his longest drives from SLDR and M series and likes the looks, problem he has is due to the low spin mi***** fall out of the sky. Uses his current driver based on looks and feel and shape reminding him of previous drivers that he had success with not because it is the absolute longest, most forgiving etc.

I seem to remember with the whole loft up campaign that he said he wasn't seeing it, then went for a fitting and openly admitted he was wrong and used the SLDR for a while.

It would be interesting given he doesn't find the M series forgiving enough whether he would switch to the 2017 version which from the other videos appear to be offering more forgiveness rather than massive distance gains.

PCWOX

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Don't get all the Crossfield bashing. Personally I think him and Coach Lockey make really funny videos. The banter between the two is class.

Grieve14

Head Pro
Visit site
Don't get all the Crossfield bashing. Personally I think him and Coach Lockey make really funny videos. The banter between the two is class.

I agree – they are the best golf related videos on youtube in my opinion. I can see how some people wouldn’t like them but there’s plenty of dull content on youtube to keep them entertained.

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
To balance things out a little, I think his presentation and style are the best of the lot with his tips videos and especially the lessons he's filmed.

Yup, his coaching stuff is excellent I think.

The other stuff, is best avoided.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Some years the manufacturers do bring out stuff that moves the game on a bit. And other years they just bring out a slightly different version of whatever is already out there. And for TM this year is one of the latter. You would be a bit mad to buy the new M1 or 2 if you have the existing versions. But if you have a driver over 5 years old then the new M1/2 will be an improvement on what you have. Or even get the current M1/2 versions for a lot cheaper, you will see much the same results.

I think TM were caught out a bit last year as people realised that the M2 was just as good as the M1 but a lot cheaper. Even a lot of tour pro's preferred the M2. So it seems they are trying to differentiate them a bit more now.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Some years the manufacturers do bring out stuff that moves the game on a bit. And other years they just bring out a slightly different version of whatever is already out there. And for TM this year is one of the latter. You would be a bit mad to buy the new M1 or 2 if you have the existing versions. But if you have a driver over 5 years old then the new M1/2 will be an improvement on what you have. Or even get the current M1/2 versions for a lot cheaper, you will see much the same results.

I think TM were caught out a bit last year as people realised that the M2 was just as good as the M1 but a lot cheaper. Even a lot of tour pro's preferred the M2. So it seems they are trying to differentiate them a bit more now.

Lot of truth in this

its much like Iphones for me.. yearly releases but only worth upgrading every 2 minimum as the changes aren't that ground breaking

my wife has a iphone 6 I have a 6s.. slightly better camera and force touch..thats the only difference.. but step across to the 7 would be a huge upgrade for her but not as much for me

golf gear doesnt advance that much year to year but like you say if you have say 5 year old gear you will notice it more

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site

This may be the crux of it. The M1/2 (esp the 2) were really good. TM have not been able to improve them very much within their launch cycle. They know this, they know that any 'non tame' reviewers will know this too.

Crossfield is in the non-tame category, so they didn't invite him. Ironically, it seems to have backfired on TM. Crossfield has made a lot of people think a bit harder about the role of the youtubers and mags acting as useful idiots for the big oems for the price of a hotel and flight. That's not good for TM. Also. despite their protestations of innocence, the youtubers with access to the m1/2 seem to have been a bit 'meh' with these releases in an attempt to prove their independence.

TM would have been better off including him and then hoping that no-one noticed what he thought. The cost to TM of the general public seeing these things as the mutual backscratching junkets that they are, and that drivers don't change much yea on year, is much worse for them than Crossfield chirping away to himself.

Luckily we can always go the monthly glossy golf mags for unbiased and thought provoking equipment reviews untainted by free trips and huge amounts of oem advertising.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
This may be the crux of it. The M1/2 (esp the 2) were really good. TM have not been able to improve them very much within their launch cycle. They know this, they know that any 'non tame' reviewers will know this too.

Crossfield is in the non-tame category, so they didn't invite him. Ironically, it seems to have backfired on TM. Crossfield has made a lot of people think a bit harder about the role of the youtubers and mags acting as useful idiots for the big oems for the price of a hotel and flight. That's not good for TM. Also. despite their protestations of innocence, the youtubers with access to the m1/2 seem to have been a bit 'meh' with these releases in an attempt to prove their independence.

TM would have been better off including him and then hoping that no-one noticed what he thought. The cost to TM of the general public seeing these things as the mutual backscratching junkets that they are, and that drivers don't change much yea on year, is much worse for them than Crossfield chirping away to himself.

Luckily we can always go the monthly glossy golf mags for unbiased and thought provoking equipment reviews untainted by free trips and huge amounts of oem advertising

Can't work out if you are being sarcastic or not there. ;)

You could argue all golf club advertising is doing is desperately trying to hide the fact that if you hit it in the middle and the club is the same loft then they will all go the same distance. And proving your club has more forgiveness than another modern from a rival manufacturer in the same area is virtually impossible. So all they have to play with is the perception. And getting loads of you tubers and pros to use their gear is one big way of doing that.

Fair play to Crossfield for not playing the game (although despite his protestations as not being in the pockets of manufacturers, he has taken the corporate shilling to attend a few product launches in the past) But also fair play to MeandMyGolf/Pete Finch for getting flown to the US and other exotic places in return for using TM clubs. Let's face it, I'd do the same if they offered.

Last edited:

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Up to a point I'd agree but Crossfield's distances are much more in tune with the majority of people who will buy the M1 or M2.
Much as I like Rick's work, the numbers he puts up are worthless to me.
He's carrying the ball 280+
I can't even hit it 280 with roll...so his swing speed, ball speed, spin rates and distances are irrelevant.
1500 rpm with 111mph swing speed.......so how much spin am I going to get from a 95 mph swing..?
Crossfield's numbers, while still out of my reach, are much more realistic and give me an idea of how far I might be able to launch it.
It would actually be more beneficial to have reviews done by the likes of Ko, Hull and the rest as their numbers would be much closer to that of Joe Public who's going to go and she'll out £300+ on a driver...
Surely real world reviews are of more use to us....

His cheap launch monitor that "sees" the ball for a couple of centimetres is saying he carries it 280 yards and hits it 310. I wonder what he does in the real world?