New Taylormade Gear

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
Anyone prepared to go through all the reviews currently available and give a brief rundown of what they say?

From the ones that I've read nobody is saying that the new drivers go much further than last years, but they are all saying they are more forgiving ... which i have to honest my wonky swing needs forgiving not distance!

Fairways seem to be getting more positives this year too ... I haven't even looked at the irons as I'm pretty up todate already.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Anyone prepared to go through all the reviews currently available and give a brief rundown of what they say?

From the ones that I've read nobody is saying that the new drivers go much further than last years, but they are all saying they are more forgiving ... which i have to honest my wonky swing needs forgiving not distance!

Fairways seem to be getting more positives this year too ... I haven't even looked at the irons as I'm pretty up todate already.

TM didn't send any gear to Crossfield so he is sulking about it. They did send some to Rick Shiels who isn't impressed with the green colour or the shape of the new M2 driver. He was hitting the new M1 a lot shorter than he did when he was testing the existing model a year ago. But his swing has changed and he is perhaps not trying to muller every ball out of the end of the driving range when he tests drivers so much now.

He then did a comparison with last years M1 and this years and found out they are exactly the same in terms of distance, ball flight etc etc. As for the new M2 irons then as before, extremely strong lofts so it will seem you are hitting your irons miles but questions about the ability to stop any on the green as the spin rates are comparatively low.

Last edited:

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
He set both heads to the same setting - front slider in the middle and the other weight all the way back - and used the same shaft.
One went slightly right, one went slightly left...but the same distance
Apparently getting some stick on SMedia about it.

The only thing I would say regarding this review is that he used the same shaft in both. The shaft he used was the one he was fitted for in the old M1, not the new one. Would be interesting to see him get fitted on the new M1 and get the weights set up for him, then do a comparison video. Not sure how much of a difference it would make, but having the club set up correctly for him will make a difference. The video showed the clubs are different as he hit it right with the old one and left with the new one.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The only thing I would say regarding this review is that he used the same shaft in both. The shaft he used was the one he was fitted for in the old M1, not the new one. Would be interesting to see him get fitted on the new M1 and get the weights set up for him, then do a comparison video. Not sure how much of a difference it would make, but having the club set up correctly for him will make a difference. The video showed the clubs are different as he hit it right with the old one and left with the new one.

I was thinking this.. head is only half the improvement surely.. the shaft aswell..

maybe get m1 16 and m1 17 off the shelfs and compare them both

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was thinking this.. head is only half the improvement surely.. the shaft aswell..

maybe get m1 16 and m1 17 off the shelfs and compare them both

That still does not tell me much though. There is a good chance the stock shaft will not suit him, I know I don't get great results from them. He needs to get fitted for the M1 2017 and get the weights set up, then compare it cause his other one was fitted for him.

MikeH

Content Director
Staff member
Visit site
Luckily we can always go the monthly glossy golf mags for unbiased and thought provoking equipment reviews untainted by free trips and huge amounts of oem advertising.

See what you've done there. Nice one 'pendodave'.

Sounds like you are still upset about me not buying into your calls for the Top 100 panel to be politically correct regardless of whether those who have benefited from positive discrimination are qualified for the job.

Anyway… if you're bothered about the facts

I didn't send any of my staff on the recent TaylorMade or Callaway product launches in Miami or Vegas for lots of reasons.

Firstly we saw the new gear and had all the R&D presentations months ago so didn't need to go the US for that.

Secondly we wanted to create our own test videos at one of our two testing bases the UK - Foresight Sports HQ or West Hill GC - away from the razzmatazz of a global product launch. We were the only mainstream media to do this

have you even bothered to watch any of our new TaylorMade product content especially Joel's 2016 M1 vs 2017 M1 video? It says, in my view, the same as Rick did. There isn't a significant performance gain to be had over last years model especially using the same shaft (interesting video by Pete Finch on this subject BTW). Pretty much the same story as I said on my 2017 M2 review.

But hey we don't produce 'honest reviews…'

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
See what you've done there. Nice one 'pendodave'.

Sounds like you are still upset about me not buying into your calls for the Top 100 panel to be politically correct regardless of whether those who have benefited from positive discrimination are qualified for the job.

Anyway… if you're bothered about the facts

I didn't send any of my staff on the recent TaylorMade or Callaway product launches in Miami or Vegas for lots of reasons.

Firstly we saw the new gear and had all the R&D presentations months ago so didn't need to go the US for that.

Secondly we wanted to create our own test videos at one of our two testing bases the UK - Foresight Sports HQ or West Hill GC - away from the razzmatazz of a global product launch. We were the only mainstream media to do this

have you even bothered to watch any of our new TaylorMade product content especially Joel's 2016 M1 vs 2017 M1 video? It says, in my view, the same as Rick did. There isn't a significant performance gain to be had over last years model especially using the same shaft (interesting video by Pete Finch on this subject BTW). Pretty much the same story as I said on my 2017 M2 review.

But hey we don't produce 'honest reviews…'

I apologise for this.

It was a cheap shot and a poor attempt at wry humour.