Driver Technology

• Thread starter Deleted member 21445
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 21445

Seeing the usual burst of new drivers being launched at this time of year.

Im lucky to have a launch monitor and I game what is now quite an old driver with my TM SLDR which gives me the low spin numbers I am after for maximising my ball flight.

I have tried so many other drivers recently and although lots of them were lovely to hit the numbers never improved enough if at all to force me to change.

Do we think driver technology has now completely maxed out and although every new launch promises some leap forward in reality that might not actually be possible ?
Maybe the only possible improvement is in forgiveness and tighter dispersion ?

Your thoughts ?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
There's so little wiggle room on pure centred strikes with modern drivers...so little that if you hit a 5 year old driver out of the middle it will go virtually the same distance as any released this month or last. I think most people are on board with that?
The limitations imposed by the ruling bodies mean there's precious little to improve upon in that scenario
Off centre hits is where it's at now and big improvements on bal, speed retention and spin control can still be made.
How long it will be before those are maxed out is anyone's guess but it can't be that far down the road.
Ultimately, wherever you make contact on the face, you're going to get the same speeds and spin...one day.
I'm beginning to tire of the face-lift models that come out, they get released because everyone else is releasing a new driver and they don't want to get left behind and don't really add much over and above what was previously available.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
An SLDR will give you drives as long as any modern driver but (like the R1 I owned) your driver is way less forgiving than the latest offerings.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
The general school of thought these days are that you should get a new driver every 5 years or something? They won't be much longer but you may see the difference in forgiveness on off-centre hits.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
The general school of thought these days are that you should get a new driver every 5 years or something? They won't be much longer but you may see the difference in forgiveness on off-centre hits.

So could you argue then that on average you will hit longer drives as you'll hit the larger sweet spot more often?
New tech wins, now where's my credit card...

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
So could you argue then that on average you will hit longer drives as you'll hit the larger sweet spot more often?
New tech wins, now where's my credit card...
Essentially...yes.
Your off centre drives will go further, upping the average.
New tech can also help if your strike pattern is varied.
Jailbreak is great on low face hits
Movable weights can get more mass behind heel or toe strikes.
Twist face gears the ball back on extreme heel or toe strikes.

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
I have been won around to the technology and equipment argument and currently have an urge for a new driver; I went for a fitting pre-lockdown with the intention of looking at my irons and to a lesser extent my driver. My irons dispersion could be tightened with new equipment but the improvements weren't significant enough to warrant changing. However, it looked like my driver could be improved upon in terms of distance and dispersion. My irons are 11 years old (less than that to me though); my driver is a 2016 Cobra F6.

In both driver and irons, it appears a stiff shaft would benefit me. I'm due to go back for a full driver assessment post-lockdown but on the face of it, it looks as if last years Ping and Cobra drivers would be an improvement without changes to my technique; however both current driver and irons (according to the numbers and the pro) could be improved on by changes to swing alone. So in all, I've something to work on with my swing but I can see the benefit on course to changing the 5 year old driver.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I went from a Ping G to a Ping 410 so not that massive a jump Aside from the adjustable weight I don't feel it is too different. I want to play around with the weight/loft when we get back to hitting balls just to see what it offers but I don't feel there has been a huge leap forward. I am not sure the G410 and the new Ping model are going to be far enough apart to justify a massive outlay

Reactions: Zig

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I certainly saw gains from M4 compared to the R9 I had previously. A couple of mates have gone from M4 to SIM and I reckon they have both seen improvements. One in particular used to be shorter than me is now longer than me.

Whether it is head design or shafts better suited to their swings is a matter of conjecture.

Looking forward to getting back as I decided to try another shaft - all fitted ready to go.

Zig

Visit site
I went from a Ping G to a Ping 410 so not that massive a jump Aside from the adjustable weight I don't feel it is too different. I want to play around with the weight/loft when we get back to hitting balls just to see what it offers but I don't feel there has been a huge leap forward. I am not sure the G410 and the new Ping model are going to be far enough apart to justify a massive outlay
The Ping G seems to have been a very good driver all round I think. I 'borrowed' a LS version from a friend, and used it for months really well (for me anyway!). When he needed it back I went for a fitting (all 2020 models) and the Pro told me I might as well stick with it as I wasn't hitting any of the newer models any better (begrudgingly bought a Cobra Speedzone when I should have just walked away and bought a Ping G from Golfbidder!)

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would like to see a few more realistic tests. By that I want to see club golfer test them, not some pro with a swing speed of 115mph>. I want to see set increments of 85,90,95,100,105 mph with club head speed vs ball speed , then a dispersion of smash factors across the face or ball speeds. Then categorise each driver with respect to forgiving, best energy transfer on centred strikes. Looks really are meaningless, performance is king.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
The Ping G seems to have been a very good driver all round I think. I 'borrowed' a LS version from a friend, and used it for months really well (for me anyway!). When he needed it back I went for a fitting (all 2020 models) and the Pro told me I might as well stick with it as I wasn't hitting any of the newer models any better (begrudgingly bought a Cobra Speedzone when I should have just walked away and bought a Ping G from Golfbidder!)

The G was a solid performer and I only got the G410 as HID got a stock model from the club pro. The R flex shaft is fine for me as I've been tested on numerous Ping drivers at their fittings and at other stored/fitters. What I haven't done yet is fiddle with the weight/loft and see of there is a fitting on it that will excel over the G model. I doubt it but remains to be seen

Reactions: Zig

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I would like to see a few more realistic tests. By that I want to see club golfer test them, not some pro with a swing speed of 115mph>. I want to see set increments of 85,90,95,100,105 mph with club head speed vs ball speed , then a dispersion of smash factors across the face or ball speeds. Then categorise each driver with respect to forgiving, best energy transfer on centred strikes. Looks really are meaningless, performance is king.

Check out averagegolfer on YouTube.

Although, all that counts is how you hit them.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Currently using a driver from 2016, irons from either the same year or 2015.

I am tempted to look at a new driver, but deep down I know that lessons will have me hitting the ball further and more consistently that a new club will. In an ideal world it will be a big handicap drop this year then I’ll treat myself to new clubs next year.

evemccc

Visit site
With regards the need (for me..and possibly many others) for tighter dispersion from the driver, this certainly would be the major reason for me to upgrade

I’m considering a retro-fit of my Driver, as maybe the shaft is too flexible / not stiff enough or most likely, it’s too long

I’m really thinking a shorter shaft by a couple of inches or so would help in tightening dispersion and therefore ensuring more middled hits..

Just need to sort the swingweight — but I think for me, this is the way to go this year over a new driver