Optimal numbers (launch/spin/ball speed) with a driver?

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
For the last 8 months (ish) I’ve been using an SZ cobra and with some great reviews recently changed to the ltdx, the SZ I have set with the heavier weight forward to reduce the spin/lower the flight which has proved to work well so when opting for the LTDx I chose the low spin head.

With the LTDx feeling like it was working well but with a choice of shafts I booked a skytrak session at my club to work out the best shaft/head combo fully prepared to sell on the new head if it wasn’t suited but here’s the fun part. While fairways hit has been awesome (11 out of 12 Saturday) I’m not overly convinced I’m getting enough out of the LS.

We always see review videos saying less soon more launch etc etc, but is there any weird formula for working out the efficiency of a driver?

Below is a few screen shots which have prompted the post.

Driver - SZ head, standard tenseu orange 65g stiff shaft.

2wood - SZ head, 50g stiff black tie shaft

3wood - new LTDx LS head, 65g tensei orange shaft.

I didn’t save LTDx / black tie combo as it just didn’t work for me.

I noticed for example my best SZ/tensei drive had a ball speed of 141, launch of 14.3 and spin of 2450 which gave the carry number of 233, total 259(shot 1) ironically the same ball speed of 141 with a lower launch and almost 3500 spin gave almost 25 yards less (shot 3) so clearly spin does have a significant impact on total numbers

Now comparing the LTDx numbers, shot 4 with 141 ball speed which was an ok strike had a lot less hang time, lower flight (so clearly they link), launch was roughly the same but with only 1800 spin it cost 15+ yards. 32 yards of run so maybe strike related.

The averages between both are pretty much identical and I do like the lower flight of the LTDx, but I’m just not sure my swing is making the lower spin head work so over to you guys for some feedback.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
And I seem to remember asking TXG on a live session that question (yours, not mine about pink castle tees!), and I believe the reply was no. It doesn't easily work that way because of dynamic loft among other things.
Everyone has numbers unique to their swing. They will share of course those numbers with others, but not due to all having the same swing. It all got very confusing for my small brain after that!

Bratty

Visit site
And, what about dispersion, accuracy and smash factor? No point ignoring those.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
There is this table from Ping :
Blogs - PING

Launch angle looks very low more or less across the board there. Best would be to try to get that up. For your swing speed, more like 16deg.
Also, the number of strikes there is very low with each club to draw any solid conclusions. 91-98 or 87-93 head speed is a very wide range in just 5 shots.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
There is this table from Ping :
Blogs - PING

Launch angle looks very low more or less across the board there. Best would be to try to get that up. For your swing speed, more like 16deg.
Also, the number of strikes there is very low with each club to draw any solid conclusions. 91-98 or 87-93 head speed is a very wide range in just 5 shots.

The ping blog is very good and the charts are going to prove useful.

With regards to the number of strikes, there were a few “wonky” ones that were taken out for a tighter overage but I’d estimate between three shaft options across two heads I’d easily hit 60+ drives which I do think would massively effect consistency.

I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t shattered, approx 20-30 8 irons to warm up, at least 10-15 drives with 3 different shafts in both heads, I’d easily over 120 balls in 45-50 mins.

I was planning on booking another session next week and sticking with the same shaft in both just to get a wider spread of data, maybe 20-30 with each head doing in blocks of 5 to ensure tiredness doesn’t come into play.

I also hit around 15 balls with a firm rouge shaft in the LTDx head at the end and the strike felt awesome, unfortunately the skytrack had moved as wasn’t capturing the data. I’d have no pride issues going back to that shaft if it pushes the best numbers.

Bratty

Visit site
The ping blog is very good and the charts are going to prove useful.

With regards to the number of strikes, there were a few “wonky” ones that were taken out for a tighter overage but I’d estimate between three shaft options across two heads I’d easily hit 60+ drives which I do think would massively effect consistency.

I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t shattered, approx 20-30 8 irons to warm up, at least 10-15 drives with 3 different shafts in both heads, I’d easily over 120 balls in 45-50 mins.

I was planning on booking another session next week and sticking with the same shaft in both just to get a wider spread of data, maybe 20-30 with each head doing in blocks of 5 to ensure tiredness doesn’t come into play.

I also hit around 15 balls with a firm rouge shaft in the LTDx head at the end and the strike felt awesome, unfortunately the skytrack had moved as wasn’t capturing the data. I’d have no pride issues going back to that shaft if it pushes the best numbers.
Warm up with 5 PW and 5 irons! 120 balls in any less than an hour is way too many!

MiurasFan

Blackballed
Visit site
Wasn't there a 'rule of thumb' that Taylormade suggested several years ago that was pretty much optimal for all swing and ball speeds - 17 Degrees and 1700rpm?

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Wasn't there a 'rule of thumb' that Taylormade suggested several years ago that was pretty much optimal for all swing and ball speeds - 17 Degrees and 1700rpm?

They also claimed the white R11 was 100yds longer because it was white ;)

In all seriousness I’m sure I read they screwed up on the sldr and them numbers were the only way to make it work.

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
Hitting too many consecutive shots with one club - the body will adjust to that club. A good fitter recognizes that and will change things out before it happens.