Confused About Driver Spin

Gopher

Club Champion
Visit site
Looking at new drivers (from Ping in particular!), they offer 'Low Spin Technology', 'Straight Flight Technology', higher spin, low spin.. etc, etc.

I know it's marketing speak to get us to splash out ££ on new models, but:

Is there an optimal relationship between spin, launch angle and clubhead speed?

Is low spin good for accuracy or distance, or both?

Should medium/high handicappers go for the lowest spinning driver?

Any help on spin/launch angle/clubhead speed variations is much appreciated..! I realise there are lots of variables.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
You need spin...the right amount.
Too much and you lose distance, too little and you lose carry. You'll get roll so overall distance might be ok but the carry will be short.
Your delivery conditions - speed, angle of attack, path, dynamic loft etc etc- determines the optimum spin.
And we're all different.
The current crop of low spin drivers are really only any good for the fast singers ( over 110) and those who's swing produces high spin.
Fast singers need between 1750 and 2100......ish
Medium singers need 2200 - 2600......ish
Slow singers might well need over 3000 to keep the ball in the air..
It's a minefield

Gopher

Club Champion
Visit site
You need spin...the right amount.
Too much and you lose distance, too little and you lose carry. You'll get roll so overall distance might be ok but the carry will be short.
Your delivery conditions - speed, angle of attack, path, dynamic loft etc etc- determines the optimum spin.
And we're all different.
The current crop of low spin drivers are really only any good for the fast singers ( over 110) and those who's swing produces high spin.
Fast singers need between 1750 and 2100......ish
Medium singers need 2200 - 2600......ish
Slow singers might well need over 3000 to keep the ball in the air..
It's a minefield
All good stuff, thanks.. I've not checked out the video yet, but.... given the UK course conditions for maybe 6 months of the year, the roll is zero, or maybe a yard at our place. We operate in an environment where carry is king.

It's all about carry and I'm just interested in the optimal conditions for loft/spin/attack angle for a medium handicapper with a 100mph swing speed. I've seen the Trackman data but it's just that.. doesn't give the optimum values to be achieved...

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
It's not rocket science...
It's more like ballistic science.
If you fish around the Internet, you'll find plenty of info about optimised launch characteristics for drivers. Here's one the popped up for me :
I'd be surprised if most recent adjustable drivers couldn't be tweaked to get a handicap golfer up to their best numbers.
A couple of variables to chuck in
- how these vary by driver with miss hits.
- be careful with the combination of low spin and dodgy swings. A friend got fitted into a head which delivered his best numbers in a fitting session, but on a course, would hit bombs, but also wounded ducks which just fell from the sky with insufficient spin.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
All good stuff, thanks.. I've not checked out the video yet, but.... given the UK course conditions for maybe 6 months of the year, the roll is zero, or maybe a yard at our place. We operate in an environment where carry is king.

It's all about carry and I'm just interested in the optimal conditions for loft/spin/attack angle for a medium handicapper with a 100mph swing speed. I've seen the Trackman data but it's just that.. doesn't give the optimum values to be achieved...
I play 10 degree driver most of the time.
But in winter and when the course is wet I put the head to 12 degree.

A fitting is best if your paying a lot for the big stick.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I watch some of the precision golf fitting videos.
My take away is not all heads are the same even when categorised in the same band.
Fitting is hard, and if your still finding your feet regards your swing the fit will be a compromise and the club should have an opportunity to change with you.
I will also say and this is my opinion, is that you can deliver optimal numbers in many combinations. The real variable is you as a golfer.
I use low loft, for ball speed, so I need high spin to mitigate this and high speed .. so shaft weight is low and flex is light. This is because of my swing type. But the shaft needs to cope with the speed and not twist away.

D

Deleted member 1147

Spin is necessary to get and keep the ball in the air.
So you need a couple of thousand revs.
Launch angle is also important. Too high and it balloons, too little and you lose carry.

D

Deleted member 1147

This is from a decent fitting I had a couple of years ago.

Attachments

• IMG_0953.png
    IMG_0953.png
    180.7 KB · Views: 12