Titleist TSI Fitting Results

Wilf

Club Champion
Visit site
Hi,

Just back from a Team Titleist Fitting opportunity at St Ives for the new TSI drivers and fairways and thought I would give a quick update on my opinions / results. Apologies in advance for lack of forum yardages.

Firstly thankyou to Paul who did my fitting and Titleist for the opportunity. And it was all very Covid secure

Starting with the looks both look stunning, the TSI2 is more stretched back and looks a bigger footprint. The TSI3 has a very classic look. The faces both remind me of how an old wooden wood used to look. I didn't really notice the new alignment aids and paid no attention whatsoever to what the bottom of the clubs looked like.

Current gamer is a 915D2 regular blue diamana , hit a few with this to get a benchmark, swing speed 91.6, average carry 204, best hit 220 carry, average spin @2900. Strike pattern low centre to high toe. This pretty much matches what I see when playing on the course

Started off with the TSI2 regular blue Tensi shaft which I must admit was the head I expected to fit into given my driving inconsistencies. After 3 or 4 swings it became clear for some reason it wasn't for me so switched to TSI3 with same shaft. Admit I was beginning to worry that neither would be good for me as I thought if I didn't get on with the TSI2 then the smaller profile etc of the TSI3 would be even worse.

Again 3 or 4 swings and night and day results, hit it really well and as consistently as my game allows. Won't bore you with the details as we tinkered with shafts and settings etc and as we are all different my results will not suit everyone.

The biggest difference in results was that my average carry with the TSI3 was slightly more than my best hit with the 915 at 224. My longest hit was 234 carry. The launch monitor showed that I was still giving most of the face a good workout so the maintaining ball speeds across the face certainly seems to work. Ball speeds were up and a lot more consistent, spin slightly down @2700, launching it a bit lower. I didn't notice much difference when tinkering with the weight and slide settings but they are adjusted to help, I would think these come more into play with better players than me, no weight adjustment will ever save my destructive drive they are more to fine tune a shot shape.

Fairway woods were opposite, TSI3 was to low spinning for me and just fell out of the sky, TSI2 was very easy to hit consistently long and straight, I haven't used a fairway wood for about 6 years as I just couldn't find one I could hit very well after my old v steel broke but a TSI2 will be getting looked at.

I have been looking for a new driver and have tried out quite a few (sims, cobra, Mavrik, G410, TS range), possibly because I'm used to Titleist Drivers having used them since 905 times but the TSI3 is the one that works best for me by quite some way and outperformed what I had seen previously with 917 and TS ranges where I found much smaller benefits over 915

They are lovely clubs and a great range. One slight concern is the price point as it looks like RRP is £519 for driver, not sure what they will sell at in Pro shops but are the most expensive RRP of drivers out there, with this in mind I will try the Mizuno as these seem to be getting a lot of good feedback just to see but given I don't tend to switch drivers very often (had this one 6 years) I might be able to justify the cost. The fairways look cheaper than last years model RRP so this will definitely be purchased.

Another caution judging on TS line I would expect a TSI1 and 4 at some point if you think those specifics would suit, think I might have seen a TSI4 photo somewhere, but that's just my hunch rather than based on anything concrete.

For those interested in the Specs

Driver: TSi3 (10 degree)
Dexterity: RH
SureFit Hosel Setting: A-2
SureFit CG Setting: Heel 2
SureFit Weight: +2 g
Length: -0.5"
Shaft (Flex): Mitsubishi TSi Tensei AV Blue RAW 65 (Regular)
Grip (Size): Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360° White Flat Cap (Standard Size)

Fairway: TSi2 (18 degree)
Dexterity: RH
SureFit Hosel Setting: A-2
SureFit Weight: STD
Length: -0.5"
Shaft (Flex): Mitsubishi TSi Tensei AV Blue RAW 75 (Regular)
Grip (Size): Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360° White Flat Cap (Standard Size)

Wilf

Club Champion
Visit site
Clubs are only going to get more expensive it seems. Sigh.

Have had a look The fairways look about £20 RRP cheaper to the TS range 279 - 299. The Driver £20 more expensive 519 - 499. I think the TS were sold at 449 initially from memory so maybe Drivers 469 fairways 229 online at a guess

Still a lot of cash :(

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Have had a look The fairways look about £20 RRP cheaper to the TS range 279 - 299. The Driver £20 more expensive 519 - 499. I think the TS were sold at 449 initially from memory so maybe Drivers 469 fairways 229 online at a guess

Still a lot of cash :(

Not that Titleist sold many. Don't think I know anyone with a TS driver.
Have Titleist fallen way behind Callaway, TM etc.?

YorkshireStu

Medal Winner
Visit site
Can anyone really justify that price over a Cobra, TaylorMade, Callaway etc if there is only a few percent in the performance? £349 for a Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme versus £519 for Titleist is a crazy difference. Unless the other brands follow suit, they will lose a decent level of market share surely

Wilf

Club Champion
Visit site
Can anyone really justify that price over a Cobra, TaylorMade, Callaway etc if there is only a few percent in the performance? £349 for a Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme versus £519 for Titleist is a crazy difference. Unless the other brands follow suit, they will lose a decent level of market share surely[/QUOTE

I wouldn’t pay 519 no. I guess it will come down to the actual online / pro price compared to RRP or what deal could be done and a honest conversation with myself whether I could justify it. The TS was higher RRP than sim and mav but was same price online.
The TSI is the first driver that I have had significantly better results than my current driver and agree that if it was the Cobra or Mizuno price would be a definite purchase, but that is only my results / dilemma.
I think everyone knows that a fitted driver regardless of make hit out of the screws gives same result give or take a yard or two, it is how your variable strikes perform where the differences are seen.
The fairway may make more sense as it is a problem area / gap in my bag. I have at least 7 shots on my home course that ideally require a consistent fairway wood.

slowhand

Head Pro
Visit site
I recently switched from an TM M3 driver and Cobra F8 3 wood to TS2 driver and TS3 3 wood, and find them much more forgiving max easier to hit. Each to their own I suppose.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I have a pile of cash burning a hole in my account from a good year last year and 2s money.

Promised myself I ld blow it on the new titleist driver. Been waiting a long time for this to appear.

Just have to get the back right and get booked in for a fitting. Never had a proper driver fitting done so look forward to that.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have a pile of cash burning a hole in my account from a good year last year and 2s money.

Promised myself I ld blow it on the new titleist driver. Been waiting a long time for this to appear.

Just have to get the back right and get booked in for a fitting. Never had a proper driver fitting done so look forward to that.

If it wasn't for the contagion around your neck of the woods, you could head down to the Irish National Titleist Fitting Centre at Carton House outside Dublin.