Spin numbers - irons and Driver

evemccc

Visit site
Can someone explain to me the benefits and negatives of spin - specifically with regard club and shaft reviews.

I spend a lot of time watching 2nd Swing, TXG and Mike Newton on YouTube who talk about spin rates and low spinning players

As far as I know, as long as you hit it straight, a low-spinning driver is good, as provided you have a decent club speed and launch, then a low 2000s spin is desired. Overspin (mostly backspin) will make the ball go shorter - likewise, in playing into a headwind, too much spin is a bad thing as the ball will climb upwards and just stall

However with approach shots and short irons and wedges, the more spin the better — better chance of holding greens

So, in a nutshell, long irons and driver, low spin is good and with Wedges and short irons, high spin is good???

Is having a high landing angle more important than high spin for approach shots?

Lastly, I’m trying to hit down on the ball more in my irons, to lower launch angle - and get a better trajectory.. the pro said this will also increase spin?? Presumably (if done well) this is the best of both worlds with irons - low launch angle to go under any wind but will spin on greens (though I’m guessing with a lower landing angle?)

Is this basically correct?
Thanks

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Basically yes that’s correct.
But you need spin to get the ball airborne and stay there.
It’s a bit of a minefield re shafts etc.
I wouldn’t worry to much about spin in irons it’s consistency of the strike you need the spin will take care of itself.
Given your clubs suit you .
The biggest problem for most ams is they are mostly short on shots and spin is the last thing you need if your short of the flag.

Jason.H

Visit site
I wouldn’t get to hung up about spin. Yes it’s good to learn those lower flighted shots into wind. In today’s round which was very windy I hit a 22 degree rescue into a par 3 that’s normally a 7 or 6 iron into centre of the green and got a birdie. As clubchamp 98 said ball striking consistency is key. I tend to have 2 or 3 bad shots per round ie fat or thin that cost me