Do you spin the ball?

Captain_Black.

Visit site
When I have been able to play recently (which hasn't been much since Christmas) I've been experimenting with a different stance (slightly closed & slightly open)
With a closed stance, I tend to get steeper in the downswing & occasionally send the ball left or chunk it.

with an open stance, it feels much more fluid swing with maybe a slightly lower ball flight.
The ball contact seems so much better.
But.
The one major difference & surprise is the amount of spin I'm getting.
Going into greens from the fairway or of a tee into par 3's, I'm getting the ball to either stop dead (I know the greens are soft atm) or substantially spinning it backwards.
Not just with the lower end of the set either.
I'm spinning it back with 6 or 7 irons (I even spun one backwards with a 5 hybrid the other day)
This is something that I've never been able to do before except maybe the odd wedge shot.
I have changed my clubs recently, so I'm unsure whether it's the new clubs, a slightly open stance or a combination of the two?
But it's got me thinking.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've certainly found recently that soft greens can give the impression of spin. For me, I suspect the reality is that the ball is digging in and bouncing backwards out of the pitch mark.
This ^^^.

The springiness of the turf can create the illusion of spin. I'm not saying it's not spin - but comment that I also get this on soft greens and I most certainly am not spinning the ball (much as I might like to ...)

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't think I have ever got spin on a ball in summer, maybe once a year out of a bunker but that's a fluke. I'm with @RichA on his theory of winter spin. I can get something to happen then but it isn't deliberate and I can not do it to order.

I'm full of admiration for those few who can do it to order, I'm not in that camp.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
This ^^^.

The springiness of the turf can create the illusion of spin. I'm not saying it's not spin - but comment that I also get this on soft greens and I most certainly am not spinning the ball (much as I might like to ...)
Agreed. My mate hits his driver really high and I've even seen that end up a yard behind it's pitch mark at this time of year.

jamielaing

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Open stance will generally present more loft at impact than a closed stance which may explain the difference. However winter conditions will certainly be helping.

Captain_Black.

Visit site
Yes, I get the ball bouncing out of a soft green theory & possibly that might explain some of it
However, the other day, I was on a par 3 140 yards, 8 iron in hand & I hit a cracker lovely & high & right at the pin.
It sailed right over the pin, landed about 3 yards past & I watched it spin back convinced it was going in, only for it to track to the right & finish 3 inches to the right of the hole.
Something definitely to work on when the ground firms up.

D

Deleted member 35504

As above, you definitely haven't suddenly developed a skill that no other golfer in the world has by spinning back a 5 hybrid, the ball is just bouncing back.

If you're still doing it in July let us know and I'll eat my words 😉

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't think I have ever got spin on a ball in summer, maybe once a year out of a bunker but that's a fluke. I'm with @RichA on his theory of winter spin. I can get something to happen then but it isn't deliberate and I can not do it to order.

I'm full of admiration for those few who can do it to order, I'm not in that camp.
All balls spin !
If you don’t get any spin it won’t get up in the air.
In winter with soft greens the ball plugs but the spin can bring it out of the pitchmark.
On very soft greens the water content acts like a vacuum and stops the ball escaping the pitchmark

What bugs me is players who don’t fix pitch marks even though the ball isn’t very far from it in winter.

To the op new clubs = sharp new grooves so a combination of both.
If they stop your ball in August your doing fine!👍

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
All balls spin !
If you don’t get any spin it won’t get up in the air.
In winter with soft greens the ball plugs but the spin can bring it out of the pitchmark.
On very soft greens the water content acts like a vacuum and stops the ball escaping the pitchmark

👍
Okay, I'll rephrase. I do not put sufficient spin on a ball to put it in reverse, or even stop it, on a dry green (y)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Can I spin the ball? Yes - because the golf club does that without me trying.

Can I control the backspin? Not that I am aware of doing - though I guess I can - but I don't ever think such as 'I'm going to take some spin off this shot'.

Can I control sidespin? Well I can hit a fade, a draw - and sometimes I can hit it straight. And so Yes, I can spin the ball deliberately sidie-ways.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Unless the option of bouncing forward is a worse result.
We are discussing spin not direction of bounce.
If the ball has landed short of the hole, stopped dead or spun backwards, then this is generally a worse result than a shot played with a lesser amount of spin in order for the ball to get closer to the hole.

I see many amateurs choosing a type of shot to a green and using a type of ball that is making life harder for them by putting too much spin on the ball.
Reducing spin would see them getting closer to the hole more often than not.
But this is an undesirable and unpopular notion. We all want to play our iron shots they way the pros do on the telly, despite our much limited ability and lower quality courses.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
As others have said the soft conditions can give the perception of oodles of spin - I found my ball about a yard behind its pitch mark with a driver last time I played!

With genuine spin in summer you'll generally see the ball take a hop or two forward upon landing before it puts the brakes on and starts whizzing backwards.

I found that in the US I, and the others I was playing with, were able to get genuine backspin with an 9 iron but I reckon that's a combination of the grass and the greens being just the perfect balance of receptiveness with the irrigation they have over there.

D

Deleted member 35504

As others have said the soft conditions can give the perception of oodles of spin - I found my ball about a yard behind its pitch mark with a driver last time I played!

With genuine spin in summer you'll generally see the ball take a hop or two forward upon landing before it puts the brakes on and starts whizzing backwards.

I found that in the US I, and the others I was playing with, were able to get genuine backspin with an 9 iron but I reckon that's a combination of the grass and the greens being just the perfect balance of receptiveness with the irrigation they have over there.
The type of grass makes a huge difference too.