Drivers Woes - getting hooky and killing my scores!

Kennysarmy

Visit site
I've been suffering recently with hooks off the tee! I've been missing I'd say 7/10 fairways left when I take driver - when I actually want to see a fade!

After work yesterday I spent an hour at the range and worked on these "feels" which seemed to all but eliminate the hook.

ball touch further forward in the stance
club face slightly more open at address
don't hood face during take away/backswing
heel wins the race to the ball

Next game is tomorrow so we will see if I can take it to the course.

Happy to take on board any more swing thoughts to eliminate the left side of the course off the tee with driver!

azazel

Assistant Pro
Visit site
When I get hooky with my driver it's generally because my transition is far too quick. If I feel like I pause at the top of the backswing I'll generally hit it straight or a nice soft fade.

Kennysarmy

Visit site
Does the ball start straight then hook or does it start left then hook and how much does it hook....10, 20, 30 yards?

Straight.
If it wasn't for the trees it would probably end up between 20 and 50 yards from the left edge of the fairway :(

I've lost quite a few balls recently!

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Tend towards hooking if my grip, especially left hand gets too weak. Counterintuitive, but stronger grip reduces hoods. If weak, the hands try to twist back to square the face, but impossible to get the timing consistent.
Check left hand vee is to right shouder, or at least 2 knuckles visible.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
If the ball starts straight, that would suggest the clubface is square to the target at impact but if the ball is spinning to the left, the swingpath will probably be in to out.

A quick easy fix would be to weaken the grip and aim left, not easy to do if you hook I know.
Aiming left will get the swingpath more square and weakening the grip will help keep the clubface square to the swingpath

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As per original post, but feels of...

ball touch further forward in the stance
club face slightly more open at address
don't hood face during take away/backswing
heel wins the race to the ball

Whatever works chap - Mods please for the love of all that is holy close the thread 🫣🫣🫣🫣

Or maybe just don’t look OP. 😁 Glad you’re back on track nice score that 👌🏻