Hitting Long Irons

chico

Club Champion
Visit site
Was at the range last night and struggling with the longer irons. I'm able to hit down to 6 iron relatively consistently but the 4 and 5 are tending to slice or chuck. I think I do everything the same but move the ball forward in my stance for the longer ones. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Was at the range last night and struggling with the longer irons. I'm able to hit down to 6 iron relatively consistently but the 4 and 5 are tending to slice or chuck. I think I do everything the same but move the ball forward in my stance for the longer ones. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Make sure the change in direction at the top of the backswing is smooth, not snatched

Captain_Black.

Visit site
Depends on your swing speed to a degree.
To launch lower lofted irons (especially how the manufacturers are strengthening the lofts) you will need a reasonable swing speed.
maybe, you might be able to hit 5 or 6 good shots out of 10 with a 4 iron, but generally speaking for consistency, a hybrid is the way to go.
If you have space in the bag, a 4 iron can be handy for a low "stinger" out of the trees, but these days that is about all it's good for.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I use to use a 4 and 5 iron and stubbornly refused to change. Eventually the nagging of the wiser sages on here made me try the equivalent hybrids and I've not looked back since. It is already a hard game Make it easy for yourself and simply switch to hybrids. Wish I did it years ago

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I've completly stopped using my 3 and 4 hybrid in favour of a strong lofted 4 iron and I don't have a fast swing speed

It's far more satisfying
It's more accurate
It's much more fun

I definitely don't put it forward in the stance

What Bob says above is crucial for my swing (for all clubs)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
As above - I think you need a pretty decent swing speed to use longer irons these days. I gave up on 4 and 5 donkeys years ago and have a 7 wood and a 5 hybrid in their place. Much easier to launch and get the required distances. Better out of the light rough as well. And the hybrid is even a great tool for greenside chipping in winter lies, so well worth having in the bag.

I know you probably feel the romance is dead if you give up on long irons somewhat, but they're not for everyone. Sometimes it's just about getting the right tool for the job.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'm a long time hybrid user. Been telling people for years the benefits of 5 hybrids for a lot of players.

I have lost the plot and taken delivery of a power spec ping i500 3iron at 17 degrees. I don't really get on with long irons but do fancy trying this for bunting it up the fairways on links par 5s. Something to keep it out of the wind and running.

Hopefully getting a run to the range tomorrow to give it a whirl.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have always struggled with hybrids, tried a few different makes and styles but they just sent the ball low and left. Had a lesson to sort my swing and this, coupled with the message that I didn’t have to try and welly them every time, the club would do the work, helped massively

D

Deleted member 1147

You need speed, but don’t thrash at it.
My pro suggested imagining I had a Matsuyama style pause at the top. So I didn’t get ahead of the hands.
You will find if video’d that it will be a barely noticeable stoppage, as many of us start the downswing before we’ve even finished the backswing.
The longer the shaft the more you get it stuck behind you.

It is a sweep more than with the shorter irons, but you still need to get your weight on the front side, and need a descending blow. It certainly isn’t like a FW wood swing.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Back in the days when I used to practice a lot I would always practice with 3 iron in at least one session.

I am at odds with Crow in that I would tend to hit slightly down on the ball to get it to rise through spin.

long irons (3 and 4 for me) were taken out the bag many years ago and replaced with hybrids/rescues and the 1 iron went long before that.

D

Deleted member 1147

Back in the days when I used to practice a lot I would always practice with 3 iron in at least one session.

I am at odds with Crow in that I would tend to hit slightly down on the ball to get it to rise through spin.

long irons (3 and 4 for me) were taken out the bag many years ago and replaced with hybrids/rescues and the 1 iron went long before that.
You deffo need to hit it in the downswing. Bit not like with a wedge or short iron.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Nipped up to the range after visiting granny this evening. The 3 iron went surprisingly OK. Still need to put a decent swing on it like most long irons but happy with it so far.
Will be taking it to the weekly winter range sessions. Seems to lauch fairly well played up in the stance. Still get the odd stinker shot from it. (User error). Think it could be useful off a tee on the course.
Better than a ping driving iron my mate has and a p790 one my other mate has.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I use to use a 4 and 5 iron and stubbornly refused to change. Eventually the nagging of the wiser sages on here made me try the equivalent hybrids and I've not looked back since. It is already a hard game Make it easy for yourself and simply switch to hybrids. Wish I did it years ago
Exactly what my pro is telling me to do as I struggle with my 5i. I am very close to listening to him.👍

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Nipped up to the range after visiting granny this evening. The 3 iron went surprisingly OK. Still need to put a decent swing on it like most long irons but happy with it so far.
Will be taking it to the weekly winter range sessions. Seems to lauch fairly well played up in the stance. Still get the odd stinker shot from it. (User error). Think it could be useful off a tee on the course.
Better than a ping driving iron my mate has and a p790 one my other mate has.

I remember many (years ago) giving up practicing long irons on the range after bending the shaft on my 2 iron.
Luckily the club I joined for many years had a practice ground rather than a range. When it was converted to a range I used a range close to me that allowed practice of the ground next to the range.