Hitting Irons Long, but Short Woods

msetterquist

Visit site
Hi, I'm new to this site. It's good to be here. What's in the bag? Driver: TaylorMade SIM2 MAX D; 3-Wood: TaylorMade SIM2 MAX d; Hybrids: TaylorMade Stealth 2 3H and 4H; Irons (5-AW): TaylorMade Stealth HD; Wedges: TaylorMade 56 and 60 degree Hie Toe.
Average Carry Distances (Voice Caddie):
Driver (set at 10.5 D): 230 yards
3 Wood (16 D): 212 yards
3H: 205 yards
4H: 198 yards
5i: 187 yards
6i: 176 yards
7i: 163 yards
8i: 151 yards
9i: 142 yards
PW: 127 yards
AW: 117 yards
56W: 112 yards
60W: 90 yards
I have a question about striking my Driver and 3 Wood. It seems that my hybrid and iron distances are good, if not really good; but, my Driver and 3 Wood are a bit lack luster. I mean there's only 25 yards difference between my Driver's carry distance and my 3H carry distance. Why should I try to hit the Driver when I will more than likely hit the fairway more with my 3H than my Driver?
Would seeing my swing help with any pointers?
Thanks in advance!!

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Are the numbers carry or total?
Visually how high are the D and 3W flights compared to the hybrids & longer irons?

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I’d be more concerned about the gap between the 60 and 56.

You could benefit from launching the driver a bit higher.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The longer shafts on woods make them harder to control.

Without seeing what you do - a lot of players lose distance with woods because they try to hit them harder without the necessary control. The old adage of
"let the club do the work" should really be applied to them.

msetterquist

Visit site
Likely a classic case of hits down a lot and hits irons well but doesn't fair so well with the woods and driver.
I bet that's it, as well. However, when I lower my right shoulder at address, I hit way under the ball. At address, the ball is lined up with the arch of my left foot, and yet I still hit under the ball. So, to compensate, I put more weight on my front foot. Boom... I hit down on the ball and it "only" flies 200-230 yards....

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I bet that's it, as well. However, when I lower my right shoulder at address, I hit way under the ball. At address, the ball is lined up with the arch of my left foot, and yet I still hit under the ball. So, to compensate, I put more weight on my front foot. Boom... I hit down on the ball and it "only" flies 200-230 yards....
Can I ask your handicap please?

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Carry distances of 230 driver and 205 for 3H seem fine to me. I would be happy with that.
With just a little roll out, par-4 of 455 yards is easily reachable.

The gapping of your short irons appears odd to me.

Stealth HD irons

Stealth Irons Specs.jpg

There's a 6° gap between 9 and PW giving you 15 yard gap.
A 4.5° gap between PW and AW giving you a 10 yard gap.

That's fine, but then it goes awry with a 7° gap between AW and 56° giving you only 5 yards difference. Very odd.
And 22 yard gap between the 56° and 60°.

If your 56° was going 102 rather than 112, it would make more sense to me.
Was it merely a typo?

sunshine

Visit site
I have the same issue as you, and hit my irons similar distances (a bit shorter though). I have quite a steep swing, I can get away with it when hitting down on irons, but the longer the shaft the more of a problem it becomes. I'm much more consistent with a long iron than a hybrid.

I'm surprised you are hitting your 44 degree PW only 127 yards when you are hitting your 56W 112.