Issue with semi sky marks

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I currently have a Rogue Sub Zero 3 wood. I play this mainly off the tee, it's made it's way back into my bag after being dropped.
I have spent time at the range, working on my strike and optimum tee height etc .. but the ball is teed up with 2/3 below the top of the club head, and the flight is just what I want in height. I can play it off the deck but that drops the peak flight down and impacts carry.
I played yesterday and I set my self up for a nice little draw, bit of right to left 15ft to 20ft of movement. I hit the ball, felt and sounded a little odd, but the ball did as intended and went out to max carry distance with seasonal 2 yards of roll. I looked at the club head and I was toe side and had 80% of the ball impact on the face and some mild scarring on the top edge. I do tend to use the toe to help me move the ball for a draw so the impact position was where I intended but the top of the club marking was a bit disappointing.
I came from the cleveland classic deep face 3 wood, this was a long club for me and the Sub Zero is longer, but I am thinking I could have done with a deeper face or I need some type of cover at the top that is more robust. I have not sky marked a driver or fairway in 20 years, so I may be am suffering with using a very thin height wood .. width doesn't bother me I usually am close to centre.

So has any one used the wraps and if so how robust are they?

Should I look to re shaft and change my strike pattern - it has the 70g even flow shaft in stiff, in it and it feels like I really have to go after it for major success (I don't mind that as it's full commitment but I don't want to do that on every hole with every club .. I am a bit of a lazy golfer, I play at 80% power most the way round and only unwind on par 5s or long 4s or in between iron distances).
I do have the 5 wood in a std Rogue with a AD DI6 stiff shaft in and I absolutely love this club and I do have an AD DI6 S shaft that was for my driver, so I could have it installed in this 3 wood .. I know it's 10g lighter but the combination works in the 5 wood and that is 3 degrees more lofted and 0.25"-0.5" shorter than the current 3 wood set up.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
yeah I am a bit on that page .. but I like to have immaculate looking club heads the faces can be worn to oblivion but everything else I like to be immaculate.
my mate stuck a bit of tape of his new Titleist woods when he got them, looks a bit crap but will sky them as soon as he takes it of thats for sure:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

pool888

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It may polish out depending on how bad it is, if it does you could try a thin strip of helicopter tape where the paint starts at the top edge of the club to help with future damage.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I see them as battle scars to be displayed proudly, then again after a while it’s hard to see where one sky mark stops and the next begins...