5 Wood or Hybrid?

gmhubble

Head Pro
Visit site
Having sort your guys fantastic advice on the irons choice I thought I would ask your thoughts on my 'woods' set up

I currently have M2 '16 3 wood 15, M2 '16 5 wood 18 and M2 '16 4H 22

I was thinking of renewing to the new M2 or maybe Titleist clubs but switching to 3 Wood 15, 3H 19 and 4H 22

The crux here I guess is 5W or 3H

I don't carry a driver as I can't hit it but am lucky enough to put the 3W 260 yards carry down the middle

Amy thoughts?

Craigg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Having sort your guys fantastic advice on the irons choice I thought I would ask your thoughts on my 'woods' set up

I currently have M2 '16 3 wood 15, M2 '16 5 wood 18 and M2 '16 4H 22

I was thinking of renewing to the new M2 or maybe Titleist clubs but switching to 3 Wood 15, 3H 19 and 4H 22

The crux here I guess is 5W or 3H

I don't carry a driver as I can't hit it but am lucky enough to put the 3W 260 yards carry down the middle

Amy thoughts?

That's not luck son...That's a gift :eek:
You don't need any advice off the likes of me....

gmhubble

Head Pro
Visit site
Papas

It's not distance I am after - that's one of the reasons I have switched from M2 to ApexCF16 - I could hit the M2 7 iron from 145 to 180 yds which is a joke when you are trying to learn to play this game - CF16 is constantly 155-165 which is good for me

3 wood and driver went the same 260 so I ditched the driver for now - 4h is always around 210 - it's that gapping I am trying to manage with the 5w or 3H

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Papas

It's not distance I am after - that's one of the reasons I have switched from M2 to ApexCF16 - I could hit the M2 7 iron from 145 to 180 yds which is a joke when you are trying to learn to play this game - CF16 is constantly 155-165 which is good for me

3 wood and driver went the same 260 so I ditched the driver for now - 4h is always around 210 - it's that gapping I am trying to manage with the 5w or 3H

That was my point. You don't need to buy a club for distance. So use the one that works best.
For me I use a 19 hybrid which goes slightly less distance than my 5'woodmdid, but I can use it on more occasions.

Id get on a flightscope and hit both. See what feels best. There's no right or wrong in regards to bagmset up.

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
I have wrestled with a similar dilemma.......at times my 22* hybrid and 5 wood are similar, but on a good day (or with a good 5 wood strike) there is 15-20 yards in it (5 wood longer).

I keep both in the bag as the hybrid is more reliable, and versatile, especially off poorer lies. Will be interesting to compare come summer (have only had the 5 wood a couple months).

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
There is no right answer for everyone, just one for you. I would be asking what one gets the distance I am looking for (not necessarily the longest) and is most consistent from the type of lie I am likely to be hitting from from this distance.

I lately switched to a 5 wood to fill a gap as the hybrid I used previously was going to far (when I hit it well). I choose a 5 wood that was not known for being the longest, but was easy to hit and just went straight. This club is more consistent and I get the exact yardage I was looking for that fills the gap lovely between the clubs either side of it.

mikeb4

Head Pro
Visit site
There is no right answer for everyone, just one for you. I would be asking what one gets the distance I am looking for (not necessarily the longest) and is most consistent from the type of lie I am likely to be hitting from from this distance.

I lately switched to a 5 wood to fill a gap as the hybrid I used previously was going to far (when I hit it well). I choose a 5 wood that was not known for being the longest, but was easy to hit and just went straight. This club is more consistent and I get the exact yardage I was looking for that fills the gap lovely between the clubs either side of it.

I agree with the above, for me personally when i eventually found the correct 5w i find it easier to hit than a 19 deg 3 hybrid

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
Your all ready carrying your 3 wood 40 yards further than the median driver distance for your h/c range (according to the Game Golf stats in DCB's post), if I were you I would just have a wedge and a putter to go with your 3 wood :thup:

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Squad game.

I play links and parkland over the course of the year, and also look at course hole yardages before going there.

Now and again I'll bring in (or out) a 1 iron, 3 hybrid, 5 wood and I also have a 16 degree hybrid, which if I could use would be good if a course has 3-4 x 425 plus yard par 4's.

Maybe have both, and bring them in and out your bag, as you see fit.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Generally speaking, loft is your friend and lack of loft is your enemy.
Lower lofted clubs are harder to hit consistently - up to a point.
Lower lofted hybrids have a higher CoG than the corresponding fairway wood and long iron Cog is higher still.
Many average golfers don't generate sufficient club head speed to get the best from hybrids of 20° or below.
I don't.
A fairway wood is likely to be much more consistent for those who swing at normal speeds.
I go driver, 4 wood, 7 wood, 22/23° hybrid....
I find the 4 wood much easier than a 3 wood from the deck, still long enough from the tee
7 wood flies high, like a hybrid would but it's easier.
4h hybrid gets me out of trouble.
It's about grinding the clubs that fill the gaps AND you're consistent enough with them.

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm with Imurg on this - very similar bag set up for me, except I have a 5 wood rather than a 4, but its an M2 so is longer than lots of others (if you believe TM :D).

I have struggled a bit with contact when I notched my adjustable hybrid down to under 22, but find it easy to hit at that loft or higher. Gapping is close according to Game Golf but am convinced come the better weather they will increase slightly as taking my better shots I do have a reasonable gap between each of the longer clubs.

lukeysafc100

Head Pro
Visit site
Well done to be able a 3 wood better than most peoples drivers! touché!I would always go with a 3 hybrid - I have mine set to 18d though! just means when you're in the long grass you can easily get out! 3hybrid gives you more options and is technically easier to hit!

VVega

Assistant Pro
Visit site
To hit a 3w 260 yds carry you must have a fast swing speed and high efficiency/smash factor. Why would you need a 5w then is beyond me. Haven't seen a single "long ball" player with a 5w.

Maybe instead look into extending your iron set that currently seems to stop at 5i? Any reason you don't have a 3i?

Last edited:

shewy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm currently having the same debate in my head lol, hybrid or 5 wood hmm was going to change out the 4 iron but man am I hitting it well right now, swing changes bedding in and hitting everything pretty well at the moment, edging towards a 18/19 degree hybrid as I could always grip down a 3 wood an inch.