'Second Club' Dilemma

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It's nice, but probably about 175 ish on average. 7 wood is around 185-190 - I do use that on one of the shortest par 4s. But something for around 205-210 would be lovely as it could mean hitting that and then wedge/9 instead of 7W then 7 iron or something. Particularly now that my new driver seems to have gained me 15-20 yards.
I would definitely consider/try a stronger lofted hybrid then if you hit it well, I find the hybrid so much easier to use off the fairways than a 3 wood. My 17 deg averages 230 off the tee and 210 off the fairway according to my Garmin. Those are genuine averages including the occasional mishit, so a bit longer when I catch it just right. Which includes an adrenaline powered 259 yards off the first tee at Birkdale recently :LOL:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I would definitely consider/try a stronger lofted hybrid then if you hit it well, I find the hybrid so much easier to use off the fairways than a 3 wood. My 17 deg averages 230 off the tee and 210 off the fairway according to my Garmin. Those are genuine averages including the occasional mishit, so a bit longer when I catch it just right. Which includes an adrenaline powered 259 yards off the first tee at Birkdale recently :LOL:
That's interesting, but I did have a 20° hybrid several years ago, and when I then got the 7 wood, I found that easier to hit.

VVega

Assistant Pro
Visit site
We have a few short par 4s where there's trouble right, so a fairway-finding second club would be handy to just hit the fairway at around 200 and leave myself a wedge or 9 iron in. As opposed to slapping driver down, risk hitting it right into trouble when I didn't need to, and leave myself an awkward pitching yardage unnecessarily
So you are looking for a fairway finding off the tee club but rule out a “mini” driver options on the basis that you won’t use it of the fairway? 🤔

It’s your choice of course but I’d rather have a club that does one job well :cool:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
So you are looking for a fairway finding off the tee club but rule out a “mini” driver options on the basis that you won’t use it of the fairway? 🤔

It’s your choice of course but I’d rather have a club that does one job well :cool:
Well I do play other courses as well. Having two clubs in the bag that I only hit off the tee feels like a bit of a waste of money. It should have some capacity to be hit off the deck if I want to go for a green.

birdiemachine

Visit site
Classic example this thread of trying to make a 'guess' as to what works.
3 Wood probably hardest club to fit into bag, is it a tee club, a fairway club or jack of all trades?
I would be looking at getting a fitting, no need to buy but it would give a good indication of head and shaft spec that would actually work.
Obviously OP doesn't do lessons so fixing swing is a non starter......

VVega

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Well I do play other courses as well. Having two clubs in the bag that I only hit off the tee feels like a bit of a waste of money.
Would be still a waste of money if it helps to score lower?

It should have some capacity to be hit off the deck if I want to go for a green.
Don’t you already have a 7w for that? Would an extra 20yds on the 2nd shot really make a difference to the score?

Ultimately, everyone likes to tinker the way they like. All the data says that “boring” golf helps to score better yet most amateurs prefer to have “fun” 🙃

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Classic example this thread of trying to make a 'guess' as to what works.
3 Wood probably hardest club to fit into bag, is it a tee club, a fairway club or jack of all trades?
I would be looking at getting a fitting, no need to buy but it would give a good indication of head and shaft spec that would actually work.
Obviously OP doesn't do lessons so fixing swing is a non starter......
I had a lesson in January of this year and I'm still recovering from it. 😄

Ideal world, of course doing a fitting is good advice, but as I'm going to have to go down the second route, the fitting just adds cost, and if it's a non-standard shaft you end up with, very hard to find second hand, etc etc.

Would be still a waste of money if it helps to score lower?

Don’t you already have a 7w for that? Would an extra 20yds on the 2nd shot really make a difference to the score?

Ultimately, everyone likes to tinker the way they like. All the data says that “boring” golf helps to score better yet most amateurs prefer to have “fun” 🙃
I get what you're saying, but I guess we all want different things in life. I don't think it's that much to ask for a club that's good off the tee and good for those occasional 'going for it' shots off the deck. I'm not someone who plays gung-ho, I'd only pull that club when I think it'll reach the green and there's no obvious trouble to worry about. Might be once a round or less but it's nice to have the option is all.

MACM85

Visit site
Guess it boils down to if there would be an decrease in scores and accuracy hitting the green from 100 yards instead of 120 yards if you had that fairway finder that gives you the extra distance.

Then how will it perform off the deck. You hitting the green from 190-205 with the club or just a case of trying to get it near the green.

I ditched my driver. Went Mini driver. Have a 5 wood and a 7 wood then a 4 hybrid. All about finding what works for you and what will give you the desired outcome the majority of the time

Last edited:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks everyone for the varied feedback. I have now bought a Ping G425 SFT 3 wood on Ebay. I'll loft it up to 17° I think, and see if I find it easier to hit straight than the Paradym X. If not, then I'll accept that 3 woods still aren't for me and go back to the 5 wood I think. (y)

Edit: One last thing I didn't mention as well - the Paradym X headcover is disgusting and I'll be glad to get that out of my bag. What possessed Callaway to make them glossy and blue I'll never know.

Last edited:

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Thanks everyone for the varied feedback. I have now bought a Ping G425 SFT 3 wood on Ebay. I'll loft it up to 17° I think, and see if I find it easier to hit straight than the Paradym X. If not, then I'll accept that 3 woods still aren't for me and go back to the 5 wood I think. (y)

Edit: One last thing I didn't mention as well - the Paradym X headcover is disgusting and I'll be glad to get that out of my bag. What possessed Callaway to make them glossy and blue I'll never know.

Brilliant wood, I reckon you'll be happy with it!