New Driver, to buy or not to buy?

ge12

Visit site
Hi All

Long time lurker here but I have a question so thought I’d finally get involved…

I currently use a Taylormade R7 CGB Max Driver and 3 Wood, these clubs were released in 2008 so are getting on for 9 years old now. With the advancement in club technology in that time do people think I am potentially giving up a fair amount of distance compared to say if I was using a newer model? (M1/2, Epic, 917 etc…) I hit both clubs pretty solid most of the time but am just wondering whether I am giving up say 20 yards or so on good hits and maybe even more on mis-hits as I know these new all singing all dancing bells and whistles clubs are supposed to be more forgiving as well.

If I were to go and get something new I would go and see a professional and get custom fit, and I know I can use a session like this to compare my current clubs with any new one, but I’m not sure I’d have the will power to say no to any shiny new toys. Obviously these things are different for everyone but I was just hoping to get a general consensus on whether people thinks it’s generally worth it, or am I being naïve?

I’d really appreciate any feedback/input.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 16999

Find out who's best in your area and see what they charge, for a quick freebee go to your local American Golf and tell them you're interested in a new Driver and would like to try some, see if any impress or encourage you then get fitted by your Pro or one in the area.

AG are still doing double trade in at the moment so you might find a bargain.

big_matt

Assistant Pro
Visit site
You might not be giving up any yards compared to the new drivers, and almost certainly wont be giving up 20. Ive tried all this seasons latest offerings and none were demonstrably longer on centre strikesthan my titleist 910 (2010). Tour driving distances are 4 yards further than 11 years ago per pga stats.

As above, go along to an AG and hit a few and see what you think. If you hit your current club well id be wary of assuming a new one will be better for you.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Welcome along. One thing to be bear in mind is perhaps not to tie yourself to one brand but try a variety. Plenty of places will be able to get you on a launch monitor for you to test your current model against other drivers. Keep an eye out for demo days too.

gmhubble

Head Pro
Visit site
Go get custom fit to see what your specs are and then look around for a Driver .... I have never carried one as my 3 wood (M2 now Epic) went far enough .... however, just bought a new Nike Covert 2.0 and am getting 25 yes over my 3 wood for the first time ever - and am hitting it further than M1 M2 and EpicDriver

Interesting

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
were you fitted for the driver/3 metal you using now? {if not could be some immediate help through having a driver with a static loft that more suits the CHS plus more suited shaft specs}

tech advances in real small increments so no doubt some small gains to be had from slight off center strikes & likely a little less if hit off of the button - but if you got the $ and want a change anyways nothing wrong with that as long as you get fitted

biggest improvements over accuracy & distance to be gained come from optimizing impact conditions through improvements to AoA/dynamic loft & swing direction in relation to face angle and most important strike location on face

if you don't know any of the current driver launch data - worth taking some time on a LM to find out & noting down AoA & dynamic loft spin rate and launch angle (and if it's a LM that cannot indicate strike location buy and take a can of foot spray - don't pay any attention to CHS as a focus on that would be counterproductive just swing with at a more norm speed not swinging out of the boots

biggest improvements for folks come with better strike location good LA - AoA - dynamic loft - spin rate #'s relative to the norm (not super maxed) MPH

when looking at trying different drivers on a LM take the current driver for comparison

ge12

Visit site
Hi Guys

Thanks for the replies, some really helpful comments!

I was not fitted for my current clubs, I got them when I started playing golf and didn't even know custom fitting was a thing, as a few of you have suggested I'll get myself down to my local AG and compare my current clubs to todays latest offerings, I am not loyal to a specific brand so have a completely open mind as to what I may like/be best for me. I don't have my heart set on getting a new driver or 3 wood so if there's no reasonable gains to be had then I won't change for the sake of it.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Do it, just take the plunge and get a new big dog. I have just changed from an SLDR to an M1 and the difference is huge. On middle hits it is noticeably longer, but on off center hits it definitely goes a lot longer and straighter. On Sunday I hit a tee shot right out of the middle and it went like a missile. It was into the wind and it ended up where I would normally hit my SLDR to on a calm day. On another hole I caught one high out out of the toe and it managed to go nearly as far as what the SLDR would with a good strike.

I think this is the big difference between the 2 clubs, you can miss hit it long and straight. Manufacturers really have pretty much hit the limit with what they can do with regards to distance, so I think they are now putting more into making drivers forgiving.

devonlad

Club Champion
Visit site
I just went through this same dilemma. In the end I opted for a second hand driver from AG and three lessons. Best decision I could of made but I had to fight against every cell in my body urging me to buy a shiny new one.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I recently changed from a Ping G15 (2011) to a Titleist 915 (2015). I noticed a real gain in length around my home track, despite the winter conditions. Is the head that much better? I don't know. They are both regular shafts but the Titleist is a bit stiffer, maybe that suits my swing speed now (as opposed to 2011 when I just started playing) better. I reckon that's the difference.

Buy the freaking shiney thing. You know you want to :)