5 wood easier to hit than 3 wood?

Hxck

Visit site
So I was recently in this boat. Always got on well with my driver and 3 hybrid, never got on well with my 3wood. As a result, it spent the whole 3 years I've been playing in my bag and hadn't been hit on the course once.

Went back to having lessons once my handicap dropped below 10 earlier this year and decided it was finally time to sort out the issue. What it boiled down to was the issue with the 3w was, well, me....in my case caused by bad ball position at setup and trying to lace it with an upwards strike like my driver.

My advice would be to enjoy the 5w in the interim, and in the off season get a decent fitting and a couple of lessons with a decent coach and reap the rewards next summer. Because in reality, if you can hit a 5w, you're pretty close to hitting a 3w anyway.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
That was certainly my experience. I can hit 3 wood a bit longer, but the average distance between that and 5 wood were about the same because 5 wood is more consistent to hit. I'd rather have something I can hit 190-200 more often than not, than something I could hit 215 or 150.
Having said this, my 5 wood let me down badly on Monday with two hooks out of bounds, so I'm putting the 3 wood back in tomorrow morning. 😄 More likely to use it off the tee on a few holes so the distance may be a bit more consistent than it was in testing off a driving range mat. We shall see!