New Irons

Cookie53

Visit site
I currently play a set of TM Rocketbladez standard length and lie. I got fitted (my first ever fitting) for a new set of irons a few days ago (P790) and they felt great. However, I was fitted for shafts +1" and lie 1 degree upright. Looking at the usual fitting tables, it says I should ideally be +.5" and 1 degree upright. I am 6ft 1in with a WTF of 90cm. I'm a bit concerned that because I am only fitted with a 7 iron, I am going to find it really difficult to hit the longer clubs.

Does anyone else play irons that are longer than the recommended length?
Do you think the extra half inch will have a significant impact on the control of longer clubs?

I appreciate it is all down to the person and swing, but I was just looking for some advice since it is an expensive purchase. From what I have read, it seems most people are shortening their clubs to improve control.

Thanks!!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Surely this problem is easier fixed than the other way around - you can just hold the club half an inch lower and see if they feel better?

I am 6 foot exact and I got fitted to standard length and lie. I had a flat swing though and stood a fraction further away from the ball so I'm probably not a good example. He even said I address the ball with the toe up, but strike it with the toe down, somehow.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I currently play a set of TM Rocketbladez standard length and lie. I got fitted (my first ever fitting) for a new set of irons a few days ago (P790) and they felt great. However, I was fitted for shafts +1" and lie 1 degree upright. Looking at the usual fitting tables, it says I should ideally be +.5" and 1 degree upright. I am 6ft 1in with a WTF of 90cm. I'm a bit concerned that because I am only fitted with a 7 iron, I am going to find it really difficult to hit the longer clubs.

Does anyone else play irons that are longer than the recommended length?
Do you think the extra half inch will have a significant impact on the control of longer clubs?

I appreciate it is all down to the person and swing, but I was just looking for some advice since it is an expensive purchase. From what I have read, it seems most people are shortening their clubs to improve control.

Thanks!!
I'm confused. If you got fitted then surely that is what you came out as subject to your swing. WTF is only a starting guide but it is about how you deliver the club. If you have any queries why not refer them back to the fitter as he's the one going to be taking your cash

sjw

Visit site
Exactly. If you're just going to look at the charts and say that the fitting is wrong, you might as well have just skipped the fitting, Shirley?

Cookie53

Visit site
Yeah, good point. As it was my first fitting I didn't really know what to expect. It was more about the fitting using a 7 iron, and how that would impact the longer clubs. I always struggled to hit my 4 iron using a standard length, it might be worse with an extra inch on the shaft. But as someone has already suggested, choking down half an inch is easier than the other way round. I'll see how it goes when I get them.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Surely this problem is easier fixed than the other way around - you can just hold the club half an inch lower and see if they feel better?

I am 6 foot exact and I got fitted to standard length and lie. I had a flat swing though and stood a fraction further away from the ball so I'm probably not a good example. He even said I address the ball with the toe up, but strike it with the toe down, somehow.

You're 5.11" for sure... ;)

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
The other thing is that, as your lie shows your stance is upright, and that may add a little to the length of the shaft.
Out of curiousity, where did you get the fitting? Not trying to put you off even more but, for example, I have tended to avoid American Golf as I have found their fitting process "variable".

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Height is only part of the equation. Also depends on how long your arms are. My mate is 6ft but has arms like a T-Rex and his irons are an inch longer than standard. Similarly, the pro I see for lessons is 6’4 and has standard length clubs.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yeah, good point. As it was my first fitting I didn't really know what to expect. It was more about the fitting using a 7 iron, and how that would impact the longer clubs. I always struggled to hit my 4 iron using a standard length, it might be worse with an extra inch on the shaft. But as someone has already suggested, choking down half an inch is easier than the other way round. I'll see how it goes when I get them.
I don't know what level you're at, but long irons are hard to hit anyway. I only have 6 as my longest. It's not always a question of an inch in the shaft here or there making any difference.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
If you are struggling with longer irons I'd suggest hybrids and maybe get a 6-PW set and a 4 and 5 hybrid. Wish I'd done it sooner than I did

Mandofred

Visit site
I'm currently only carrying irons down to an 8.....everything below that is hybrid or fairway wood. I'm about to replace my Sub70 irons 5-PW, likely only with an 8-9-PW. Assorted wedges at the low end...at the moment....50-54-64

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I'm 5ft 11in.
My 2008 Ping i10 irons are standard length 2° upright.
Longest one is a 21° - its a 3-iron, but the Callaway Rogue ST Max 5-iron is 21.5° and Titleist T400 5-iron is 21°.
If I were buying a new set of irons, I might not have anything with a lower number than a 5, but there would be no change really as I would have the same number of irons in the bag.

I've never had any problem with hitting long irons, even when I had very low clubhead speed as a 13-yr-old with junior sized clubs. Dunlop Blue Flash blade 3-iron.
My hands and arms do pretty much the same thing with my 7-iron as they do with the 3-iron.

The P 790 4-iron is 21°.

I like hybrids. I have a 16° and a 20°. There is a suitable distance gap of 10-15 yards between the 20° hybrid and the 21° iron.

Cookie53

Visit site
Interesting that quite a few of you use so few irons. I did take the 4 iron out of the bag and replaced it with a 21o hybrid. But I seem to hit my 19o fairway wood better, so I use that more. Perhaps something like a 7 wood would be a better option?

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Interesting that quite a few of you use so few irons. I did take the 4 iron out of the bag and replaced it with a 21o hybrid. But I seem to hit my 19o fairway wood better, so I use that more. Perhaps something like a 7 wood would be a better option?
Nothing bigger than a 6, then three hybrids. Play off 4.9. Irons are hard

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site

I've gone the other way
Used to have 3 x hybrids (3,4,5) but since getting new irons 4-PW (not fitted and not even hit before buying) I don't bother even looking at the hybrids anymore. I love hitting the 4 iron, wish I'd done it years ago