Driver launch angle

JGolfer

Visit site
So a little background: Was fit two years ago for sim 2max 10.5 down to 9, stiff shaft, SS around 98mph, aoa was -5. Peak height around 150 feet.

Have undergone a lot of swing changes and speed training. Now my ss is around 107, can go faster but it’s not consistent. Aoa is now between +3 to +5. Noticed recently my ball just goes insanely high. Got on a trackman, peak height again is around 150 feet, launch angle is around 19.

Tried a lower tee, launch went down to 18.5 ?.

Is there anything I could do to to drop launch angle or potentially worth going back to fitter?

Out of curiosity I did go and test some new drivers. They put low spin shaft + head on and reduced loft to 7. Took my carry to around 270ish, going 290. Was about a 20 yards increase mainly due to launch angle and peak height being far lower.

Asking as obviously new drivers are becoming increasingly expensive and if there is something I can do with current setup to get similar results it’s worth a try.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Lower the loft...as .low as you can
Play around with tip stiffness of the shaft.....stiffer tip should help reduce dynamic loft
By the sounds of it you want to try and recreate the newer driver you tried....
A clubfitter should be able to point you in the right direction

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Sell the current one and buy a second hand one in the right spec.

It shouldn’t cost much to change and may be cost neutral.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
So since your fit youve gained 10mph of swing speed and changed the AoA by nearly 10 degrees. Impressive changes but definitely a case of the old fit being outdated and time for a new one imo. Potentially less loft and a different profile shaft but would definitely get a new fit if it was me

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What shaft do you have and have you checked it's flight characteristics?

With a Sim driver it is very easy to buy and try different shafts rather than change the whole club. Look for a shaft which is tip stiff with a high kick point.

The trouble with going down and down in loft is it can start to affect dispersion.

Worth remembering the shaft you have will normally have a reasonable resale value to offset the cost.

JGolfer

Visit site
What shaft do you have and have you checked it's flight characteristics?

With a Sim driver it is very easy to buy and try different shafts rather than change the whole club. Look for a shaft which is tip stiff with a high kick point.

The trouble with going down and down in loft is it can start to affect dispersion.

Worth remembering the shaft you have will normally have a reasonable resale value to offset the cost.

Believe the shaft is an aldila rogue 60g(Silver). No idea what that shaft does, but it was best performing during the fit. I did much prefer the hazardus black, but it just didn’t perform for me. Tho 12 months later I was fit for that in my driving iron.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Believe the shaft is an aldila rogue 60g(Silver). No idea what that shaft does, but it was best performing during the fit. I did much prefer the hazardus black, but it just didn’t perform for me. Tho 12 months later I was fit for that in my driving iron.

It depends on whether it is a Rogue Silver 130 or a 110 they have different launch and spin

Just go to aldila.com to check specs and launch characteristics.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
That's a big shift in numbers (congrats by the way), so not surprised ball characteristics have changed.
If you drop the loft in current driver, you risk closing the face, so you may find pulls, draws and hooks start creeping in.
If you don't need as much forgiveness, then some older head models will work just as well. You may find you can either trade yours in, or flog it and buy second hand yourself for not much more or cheaper.
Have you undergone these changes with a pro? If so, what was their advice?

JGolfer

Visit site
It depends on whether it is a Rogue Silver 130 or a 110 they have different launch and spin

Just go to aldila.com to check specs and launch characteristics.

Had a check of driver today, and it’s 110.

That's a big shift in numbers (congrats by the way), so not surprised ball characteristics have changed.
If you drop the loft in current driver, you risk closing the face, so you may find pulls, draws and hooks start creeping in.
If you don't need as much forgiveness, then some older head models will work just as well. You may find you can either trade yours in, or flog it and buy second hand yourself for not much more or cheaper.
Have you undergone these changes with a pro? If so, what was their advice?

I actually had a lesson booked in today for short game, and mentioned driver. Made a tweak to my grip, and got my pushing the handle forward a little. Turned it down to 8.5 face sits open which I like, moved ball position back about half an inch. Ball flight dropped back down to 110ft and distance went back up to around 285, with around 1800-2000 spin.

Big takeaway I think was not realising my oAo is more like +6 to +8. Thought it was lower.

In my pursuit of a fade, it seemed I was doing it by trying to open the club face more and more affecting my dynamic loft, and adding spin, causing the ballooning flight. My path with irons is around 4-5 in to out, driver path is neutral if slightly in to out.