Went for an iron fitting yesterday, as a bit of a sceptic...

evemccc

Visit site
Do you know which Mizuno iron you tested?
There are currently 8 in their line up. If he only tried you with one and you were wanting more height then it was probably the HM HL. It has more loft but also has the greatest offset, which might have caused more behind the ball duffs on a mat.

Interesting —

I’ve never understood what offset is, what’s it’s advantage and disadvantage and why some clubs have more than others

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
You find offset on game improvement irons...the more offset the more game improvement they are.
Blades have next to no offset as blade players don't need it.
Offset helps get the ball in the air and, marginally, helps to close the face.
Essentially, and no offence to anyone, the worse you are the more offset you need.....

RichA

Visit site
You find offset on game improvement irons...the more offset the more game improvement they are.
Blades have next to no offset as blade players don't need it.
Offset helps get the ball in the air and, marginally, helps to close the face.
Essentially, and no offence to anyone, the worse you are the more offset you need.....
Not necessarily. I'm an average to poor golfer and hate offset. I strike the ball much better with a minimally offset bladey iron.
GI clubs are duff machines in my hands.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Not necessarily. I'm an average to poor golfer and hate offset. I strike the ball much better with a minimally offset bladey iron.
GI clubs are duff machines in my hands.
You're the exception that proves the rule...there's always some..
I knew a 75 year old ex Army Colonel who couldn't even stand up straight but he could hit a bladed 2 iron 200 yards...
It's more down to your ball striking ability which tends to follow overall ability - but not always?

RichA

Visit site
You're the exception that proves the rule...there's always some..
I knew a 75 year old ex Army Colonel who couldn't even stand up straight but he could hit a bladed 2 iron 200 yards...
It's more down to your ball striking ability which tends to follow overall ability - but not always?
Yep. I know I'm an outlier. I can strike the ball very well - direction control, not so much.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Interesting —

I’ve never understood what offset is, what’s it’s advantage and disadvantage and why some clubs have more than others
An oversimplification perhaps, but I think it's this:

Forgiving irons with offset have the face set slightly back from the line of the shaft:
offset.PNG

The more bladey irons do not:
nooffset.PNG

I'm not an expert on what it does, but my understanding is that with the fact set back from the shaft it gives you that extra split second for the face to square up instead of being open, and possibly makes it easier to strike down through the ball.

evemccc

Visit site
An oversimplification perhaps, but I think it's this:

Forgiving irons with offset have the face set slightly back from the line of the shaft:
View attachment 45948

The more bladey irons do not:
View attachment 45949

I'm not an expert on what it does, but my understanding is that with the fact set back from the shaft it gives you that extra split second for the face to square up instead of being open, and possibly makes it easier to strike down through the ball.

Thanks - that makes sense to me (I think)

So the assumption from club manufactures is that those who ‘need’ Game Imp irons / higher handicappers, are more susceptible to an open face > closed face

All things being equal, if your tendency is to close the face too much, you’d be helped by using so-called ‘better’ players irons with no offset (regardless of your handicap)?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

So the assumption from club manufactures is that those who ‘need’ Game Imp irons / higher handicappers, are more susceptible to an open face > closed face

All things being equal, if your tendency is to close the face too much, you’d be helped by using so-called ‘better’ players irons with no offset?
From an offset standpoint maybe, but there are other factors such as game improvers being thicker and weightier round the edges which improves strike when you don't hit it out the middle. And having more bounce which stops it digging in when you slightly fat it. Whereas the player irons have none of that.

Mandofred

Visit site
For some reason I've had the urge for some new irons....never had Mizuno so have thought about going in for a fitting. I think the nearest place to Harrogate is Moor Allerton. Is there a better place in the Harrogate area?

Golfnut1957

Visit site
For some reason I've had the urge for some new irons....never had Mizuno so have thought about going in for a fitting. I think the nearest place to Harrogate is Moor Allerton. Is there a better place in the Harrogate area?
You could have a look at Express Golf, just north of Bradford, Shipley area.

https://www.expressgolf.co.uk/custo...zUPA_UOJMwmd5n3Qjz69T2qs0_GSpNuUaAms3EALw_wcB

My mate was fit for his driver there. Bit of a trek for him, but he was more than satisfied with the experience.

Mandofred

Visit site

sjw

Visit site
Update: not to say that I've ordered the clubs, but that I got halfway down the first today and realised that I've left my 7 iron with the fitter *facepalm*

Bazzatron

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Big birthday next month so I'm going to treat myself to an upgrade on my Taylormade R11s...seems its time since they're 12 years old, and even then they were hand me downs.

Anyone been to Clubhouse Golf for a fitting?

Albo

Visit site

All things being equal, if your tendency is to close the face too much, you’d be helped by using so-called ‘better’ players irons with no offset (regardless of your handicap)?
I am similar is that my miss is left so offset for me isn’t a good thing as I tend to send it further left.
As @Orikoru mentions above, GI irons have a lot more help in the head than just offset, perimeter weighting, lower weights to help with launch etc.
You may be better looking for GI that have little offset but still retain the other helpful bits if you need them.
Mizuno do their Hot Metal GI irons in a ‘pro’ head, which has a significantly reduced offset, but still retains the other GI help, as an example

Skytot

Visit site
Moor Allerton is a Performance Centre , I would drive the extra and go there .

Last edited:

Barking_Mad

Visit site

You could ask at Leeds Golf Centre just down the road from Moor Allerton. They don't charge for fitting...

Barking_Mad

Visit site

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Big birthday next month so I'm going to treat myself to an upgrade on my Taylormade R11s...seems its time since they're 12 years old, and even then they were hand me downs.

Anyone been to Clubhouse Golf for a fitting?
I went to their new centre.
its very good set up .
I went for a putter fitting fantastic choice.
fitter was very good.