Ever Had a Club Fitting You Regretted?

Morfeen75

Visit site
Many years ago i was going through a really bad time with my irons and i decided new irons would fix me. I got fitted up for a set of Benross from AG and they only made me worse. I only had them 3 weeks then i went to an independent club fitter who fixed me up for a set of Mizuno MP33's and i never looked backed.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Not one I regretted. The fitting I got for my Callaway XR's I think went pretty well as I got clubs that I hit straighter and more consistently. Changed to graphite shafts and 2° flat.
But before my fitting I went to the Scottish Golf Show and tried the quick fitting service they were offering on the various stands. All were pretty OK except for the American Golf stand where the lad there reckoned I should be using heavier shafts. When I mentioned this to the Mizuno fitter there was a very raised eyebrow. Totally the wrong recommendation.

Captain_Black.

Visit site
Sometimes club fittings work wonders
Sometimes not.

My with was fitted for a full set earlier in the year & it has improved her golf massively.

I went for a fitting (after trying a large number of driver head & shaft options from our pro shop out on the course)
So I sort of knew what suited me & what didn't.
After hitting quite a few shots, the fitter said I should go with the regular shaft, but it just didn't feel right at all.
I ended up walking out with a new driver with a stiff shaft, which is performing brilliantly.
Yesterday for a bit of fun, I took my old driver (regular shaft) up the course & sprayed the ball everywhere.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Fair point. I am pretty average physically it all respects, so those black dot Pings with standard length, regular flex shafts were probably right for me.
But I have to say that getting custom built irons made me hope there would be a leap in performance - alas it was not to be.

The only significant difference the Orkas made was that the new grooves shredded balls much quicker than the Pings :ROFLMAO:
Yeah, I get it. There's no miracle sticks. But the way I see it, you hit a club well when you have confidence in it. And doing a fitting and selecting the best club is a shortcut to getting that confidence - at least in the short term before it all goes wrong. 😄

sjw

Visit site
I enjoy the fact that my irons are usually 2 or 3 clubs weaker than my PPs.
I'm one of the longer hitting seniors at the club so it makes me smile when they look incredulously at me when I tell them what iron I hit.
This happened to me the other day with the "new" blades. Someone had seen that I was quite long off the tee, so on the next par 3, he said, "what was that, a wedge for you?" The look on his face when I told him it was an 8 iron was one of complete befuddlement lol

Yeah, I get it. There's no miracle sticks. But the way I see it, you hit a club well when you have confidence in it. And doing a fitting and selecting the best club is a shortcut to getting that confidence - at least in the short term before it all goes wrong. 😄
Exactly why I'm looking forward to my driver fitting. When I'm hitting my current driver well, it's great, but as soon as I hit a couple of leaky ones, my confidence in it just drains away. It's not that I think a new driver is going to be perfect every time, but if a club is fitted for you then you know that if you hit a poor shot, it's on you, and that gives you more confidence in the shot you're about to play. It's just one variable fewer.

Last edited: