New golfer wanting to invest...

davmar18

Visit site
Hi everyone,
I am a relatively new golfer, looking to invest in my first set of irons..
I took a trip to American Golf on the weekend and got measured up, and the member of staff recommended a 0.5 shorter than standard size.
I had a hit of a few clubs, notably Cobra and Benross (I don't want to splash on a premium brand, both for price reasons and also being a beginner I don't want to look like 'All the gear and no idea'!)
My favourite by far were the Benross Delta X with steel shafts. The staff member said to me that they were pretty much brand new, having been released in the last month.
They felt really nice. Lightweight, and a good amount of forgiveness for someone of my ability. Compared to the irons I have been using (Bay Hill), which are around 20 years old with graphite shafts- they felt so much more lightweight and just a way better experience.
The Benross irons (5-PW) came in at £500. I was told by a friend that for brand new that's pretty reasonable.
However I have seen on Golf Bidder that there are lots of decent second hand sets available - for cheaper prices obviously. However the issue being I won't be able to 'try before I buy' as such.
In honesty, if I were to buy these Benross irons, I'd like to think that I won't need to upgrade again (if not for a very long time), but I do feel with the second hand ones, depending on how worn they are, it might be more likely I need to sooner. I was eyeing up some Wilson D9 irons, which look good, but I've never hit with them.
Does anyone have any advice on this situation please?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Irons don't wear out, unless you are a pro hitting the sweet spot every time. I have irons that were released in 2013, no idea when they were actually bought, that I bought 2nd hand about 5 years ago. I've no intention of selling them but if I did I'd get a decent amount still as they have years of life left. Get the right set, they will last you for years. The only thing you will have to change, at some point, is the grips.

I'd be going down the golfbidder route personally, get a great set of Ping, Callaway, Mizunos, whatever suits your eye, that are about 3-5 years old. Factor in changing the grips, if required, and you will be good to go.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
If you want lightweight Wilson do a superlight range. Both Golfbidder and Golfclubs4cash will shorten your clubs as well, to get them more to your spec, and you get a 30 day returns policy if you can't get on with them.

Probably get a decent set of irons for less than half the price of the Benross in American Golf.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
The stock answer to beginners wanting a set of irons.

Get any Ping G(pick a number) series and keep them until you feel ready to upgrade.

The Pings will be forgiving, durable and can be found in a variety of different specs, so you should find a set the right length and specs to suit. The loft and lie angle can be adjusted to suit if needed.

They will probably be cheaper than a new set of either you have mentioned, with the added bonus that they will retain a lot of their value should you want to sell them on.

davmar18

Visit site
The stock answer to beginners wanting a set of irons.

Get any Ping G(pick a number) series and keep them until you feel ready to upgrade.

The Pings will be forgiving, durable and can be found in a variety of different specs, so you should find a set the right length and specs to suit. The loft and lie angle can be adjusted to suit if needed.

They will probably be cheaper than a new set of either you have mentioned, with the added bonus that they will retain a lot of their value should you want to sell them on.
Thanks for this reply. I have heard Ping spoken about a lot before as being good for beginners/ high handcappers. However they're pretty expensive - think they might be out of my budget!

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Thanks for this reply. I have heard Ping spoken about a lot before as being good for beginners/ high handcappers. However they're pretty expensive - think they might be out of my budget!
Only if you buy new. There are hundreds of second hand sets ranging from under £100 to over £1000.

I’ve just bought my son a set of G25 irons, 5 to U wedge with graphite shafts for £210. I’ll probably put new grips on for him that will be another £30, but they don’t need them.

I really would buy second hand rather than new as a new player. I’m not a new player and have only just bought a brand new set of irons. And only because I got fitted for a nonstandard shaft that I couldn’t find second hand.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
If you were going to spend £500 in AG then a second hand set of Pings are easily within budget. You can comfortably get G400, G410, G425 sets. You wont need more than any of those.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hi everyone,
I took a trip to American Golf on the weekend and got measured up, and the member of staff recommended a 0.5 shorter than standard size.
I had a hit of a few clubs, notably Cobra and Benross (I don't want to splash on a premium brand, both for price reasons and also being a beginner I don't want to look like 'All the gear and no idea'!)
My favourite by far were the Benross Delta X with steel shafts. The staff member said to me that they were pretty much brand new, having been released in the last month.
They felt really nice. Lightweight, and a good amount of forgiveness for someone of my ability. Compared to the irons I have been using (Bay Hill), which are around 20 years old with graphite shafts- they felt so much more lightweight and just a way better experience.
The Benross irons (5-PW) came in at £500. I was told by a friend that for brand new that's pretty reasonable.
However I have seen on Golf Bidder that there are lots of decent second hand sets available - for cheaper prices obviously. However the issue being I won't be able to 'try before I buy' as such.
In honesty, if I were to buy these Benross irons, I'd like to think that I won't need to upgrade again (if not for a very long time), but I do feel with the second hand ones, depending on how worn they are, it might be more likely I need to sooner. I was eyeing up some Wilson D9 irons, which look good, but I've never hit with them.
Just to address this point in bold - Golfbidder give you a week's grace period to return to the clubs. So that's enough time to give them a hit on the range and see what you think before deciding whether to keep them or not.

Springveldt

Visit site
Hi everyone,
I've no doubt the Benross irons would be good for you and they will last as long as you want them to, the trouble with them is that they lose so much resale value.

Also as others have said, if your budget is £500 then you could get a quality set of Ping's 2nd hand for that. Any of the G range would be great for you. Both of the 2nd hand sellers will let you return the clubs if you don't get on with them. My mate just bought a set of Callaway Apex MB irons from GolfClubsForCash, played one round with them and didn't get on with them so he sent them back and they refunded him without issue.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I scream everytime I hear the words, "new golfer" and "American Golf" in the same sentence.

Tell them your budget. They'll have you spending it.

Go decent quality second hand until you know more about what is what!

Any of the Ping G range from the past few years will do. Spend as little as you can now, within reason.

The Benross clubs are ok, but will depreciate quicker than a Austin Allegro!

Where abouts are you? At least, find a trusted local Pro. Someone on here will know one.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Just to address this point in bold - Golfbidder give you a week's grace period to return to the clubs. So that's enough time to give them a hit on the range and see what you think before deciding whether to keep them or not.
Unless you buy through Golfbidder on ebay....then you get 30 days...;)

davmar18

Visit site
Only if you buy new. There are hundreds of second hand sets ranging from under £100 to over £1000.

I’ve just bought my son a set of G25 irons, 5 to U wedge with graphite shafts for £210. I’ll probably put new grips on for him that will be another £30, but they don’t need them.

I really would buy second hand rather than new as a new player. I’m not a new player and have only just bought a brand new set of irons. And only because I got fitted for a nonstandard shaft that I couldn’t find second hand.
Thanks for the advice - much appreciated!

davmar18

Visit site
I scream everytime I hear the words, "new golfer" and "American Golf" in the same sentence.

Tell them your budget. They'll have you spending it.

Go decent quality second hand until you know more about what is what!

Any of the Ping G range from the past few years will do. Spend as little as you can now, within reason.

The Benross clubs are ok, but will depreciate quicker than a Austin Allegro!

Where abouts are you? At least, find a trusted local Pro. Someone on here will know one.
Thanks - really interesting insight on the American Golf and new golfer stuff!
I get what you mean about the Benross depreciating - but in honesty I'm not sure I could see myself upgrading again after them! But I definitely take your point.
I'm based in Oxfordshire. Loads of golf clubs around here. I'll ask the pro who I have had lessons with - didn't think of that so thanks for the tip.

davmar18

Visit site
I've no doubt the Benross irons would be good for you and they will last as long as you want them to, the trouble with them is that they lose so much resale value.

Also as others have said, if your budget is £500 then you could get a quality set of Ping's 2nd hand for that. Any of the G range would be great for you. Both of the 2nd hand sellers will let you return the clubs if you don't get on with them. My mate just bought a set of Callaway Apex MB irons from GolfClubsForCash, played one round with them and didn't get on with them so he sent them back and they refunded him without issue.
Didn't know that about Golf Bidder! Thanks. I was eyeing up some Wilson D9's on there for what looked a reasonable price. I was recommended them by someone too as a good iron set to improve my game. Any view on the Wilson D9's?

davmar18

Visit site

Irons don't wear out, unless you are a pro hitting the sweet spot every time. I have irons that were released in 2013, no idea when they were actually bought, that I bought 2nd hand about 5 years ago. I've no intention of selling them but if I did I'd get a decent amount still as they have years of life left. Get the right set, they will last you for years. The only thing you will have to change, at some point, is the grips.

I'd be going down the golfbidder route personally, get a great set of Ping, Callaway, Mizunos, whatever suits your eye, that are about 3-5 years old. Factor in changing the grips, if required, and you will be good to go.
Thanks - really helpful advice! I was looking a lot on Golf Bidder, and even though I had spotted a few that I liked in terms of aesthetics - I just took the view that surely it's the type of purchase I should be making after actually hitting with the club. But as you say if you can return them for a refund - might be worth a shot.

davmar18

Visit site
Wasn't aware of that! Thank you!

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Hi everyone,
Historically there was a fair bit of 'love' for Benross on here, myself I reached my lowest handicap with a set of their irons.
Do note though, and hopefully I have this right - they were bought by American Golf a few years ago. This doesn't mean they have changed, but be aware of the sales angle.
Also, again to be fact checked, thought the Delta X came out in 2021. Might have been refreshed in 2023. So a bit of doubt on the 'released last month' comment.
Good luck.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Wilson D9s are a good iron, as I understand it. I know a guy who loves his and won't move from them! They won't be any worse than the Benross!
Depending what shaft you tried, you can get them from Clarkes Golf band new for £429