Went for an iron fitting yesterday, as a bit of a sceptic...

sjw

Visit site
This is the perfect advert for a beginner to get fitted.
There are really good golfers that can’t use certain types of clubs.
Having a second hand set that don’t suit can really hold you back.
I think a lot of new players give up the game because they struggle with the clubs they have.
So your £50 is very well spent.

The only thing I didn’t understand was a chunkie sole given your big shaft lean would not stop you hitting the ball properly.
But given your shaft lean it would definitely be more visible at adress and this could be off putting.

Good summary though well written.
Just get your clubs before the good weather so you get used to them.

Definitely want to get them sooner rather than later. It'll be Feb/March I suspect.

I didn't fully understand about the sole of the club issue either - like you say, you wouldn't have thought it made any difference. However, it was the only club I couldn't hit so I'm inclined to believe there is something to it.

Having had the experience in my OP, I would now absolutely recommend a fitting to a beginner. I'd originally thought I was in this awkward position of need to get better to make it worthwhile, but a fitting might help get clubs that make getting betetr easier. Catch 22. Don't get me wrong, golf is hard, but I have been making it way harder for myself. Obviously, I could have bought second-hand and got lucky, but equally I could have seen no improvement whatsoever. But at the end of the day..... it's fifty quid. That's knocked off the price of the irons if I buy from them as well.

sjw

Visit site
Did the fitter not have you using the Mizuno DNA shaft optimizer?
No, I didn't try anything like that. If I were to go for a fitting in a few years to replace an old fitted set, maybe it would go more in detail. But to be honest, the clubs I'm replacing are so trash that this was almost just to get a starting point lol

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
On the topic of this thread, does anyone have any info as to whether the new TM release (Stealth HD?) will affect prices of current irons?

Yes a new model will cause prices to drop but that will be mainly for stock held so depends how close to a standard fit you are as to whether you will be able to source what you want cheaper. do you know which shaft you were fitted for? (1 degree flat and 1 degree weak should be easy adjustments for a club builder to make)

Offers wise Jamgolf for eg are already throwing in a free bag with a set for eg

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I did my iron fitting late last year. Hadn't really done a proper fitting before for irons, and my previous irons were five-year-old Callaway XR Steelheads. I went with an open mind, but like you, probably expected to like the Mizunos the most based on what you hear about them. After hitting my old 7 iron, he put the Callaway Rogue ST Max in my hand, purely because it's roughly the equivalent upgrade on what I had (albeit a few upgrades down the line). Again, similar to you, I was shocked at the difference - immediately 10 yards longer and just as straight, if not straighter. Hitting missiles with them. The Stealth and Mizunos were pretty poor by comparison, shorter and more right - the Ping G425s were decent but not as good as the Callaways. The Cobra LTDx were the next best thing, but the flight was a bit lower with them than the Callaways, so as it turned out the first thing he put in my hands was the best one.

Since using them a few months, one of the most positive signs is that I used to struggle with my old 6 iron, in the new set the 6 iron is stronger so you'd almost say it's a 5 iron, but I can still hit well, so it's given me so much more to work with. I used to be on the fence with fittings, but now I'm all for it. Only problem is the cost of new clubs now, as we've discussed on other threads. Think I was lucky to get mine for £610 as the Paradym release was just around the corner (unbeknownst to me).

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Good question that. I have often wondered about the optimiser having only ever heard good things about it.
The optimiser only does the shafts.
It shows the stresses and kick points.
This gives the fitter a start so he can find a head that suits you and the shaft loading.
When I was fitted I chose the number two suggestion as that was most comfortable for me.
It’s a great piece of kit.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The crux of all of all of this is the RAM beginner set. You’re going from really poor, cheap older clubs to expensive quality build modern offerings. The gap is huge, and the performance increase is very noticeable. What you might find is that once you’ve invested in these clubs and perhaps even get better - if you go for another fitting down the line the gain will be less noticeable. Marginal, perhaps, and enough to justify changing. Particularly if your swing speed increases and you move from whatever shaft you’re using now to something else. Some people become jaded by how marginal the gains become and dismiss fitting altogether. Maybe it doesn’t work for them, it is clearly working for you and anything that gives you confidence in this game - grab it with both hands ??

evemccc

Visit site
The crux of all of all of this is the RAM beginner set. You’re going from really poor, cheap older clubs to expensive quality build modern offerings. The gap is huge, and the performance increase is very noticeable. What you might find is that once you’ve invested in these clubs and perhaps even get better - if you go for another fitting down the line the gain will be less noticeable. Marginal, perhaps, and enough to justify changing. Particularly if your swing speed increases and you move from whatever shaft you’re using now to something else. Some people become jaded by how marginal the gains become and dismiss fitting altogether. Maybe it doesn’t work for them, it is clearly working for you and anything that gives you confidence in this game - grab it with both hands ??

Good post ??

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The thing about a fitting is not to get hung up on distance. Yes distance is important, but so too is dispersion.
As all 7 irons are not the same loft, it’s important to know the loft of each iron you’re hitting as they can range from 33 to 26 degrees

sjw

Visit site

Yep, totally agree. The fitting highlighted not just how good the new clubs are, but also how poor my current kit is, in every aspect. Not just dispersion and ball flight, but it also highlighted how bad the grips have got on my clubs, and also how the new clubs don't have half the jarring feeling that can go right through your hands on a poor strike! (Yes, I did hit some shots completely thin even with the new clubs - got to test them in a fully representative manner!! ;) )

I'm under no impression that every fitting in future will show such massive gains, but this time it was so eye-opening that I just thought I will go with new clubs to get a good starting point. I was grinning ear to ear on the drive home, because I know that these new clubs are going to make the game I'm growing to love so much more enjoyable still.

sjw

Visit site
The thing about a fitting is not to get hung up on distance. Yes distance is important, but so too is dispersion.
As all 7 irons are not the same loft, it’s important to know the loft of each iron you’re hitting as they can range from 33 to 26 degrees
Absolutely. Like I said, the majority of shots were maybe only 5 yards further than a good strike with my current irons (bar those I absolutely crushed which showed more like a 15y gain) but the consistency, the dispersion and the ease with which I could repeat a good shot just filled me with so much more confidence.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I was grinning ear to ear on the drive home, because I know that these new clubs are going to make the game I'm growing to love so much more enjoyable still.

Lovely stuff. I’ve had that feeling a fair few times and there’s nothing like it. I am also happy to report that the perceived increase in enjoyment very much came to fruition.

Enjoy the launch ? ?

Reactions: sjw

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
This is true for very recent clubs.
All my 7-irons, and there are several, range from 39 to 34 degrees.
The 34 degree 7-iron is a Ping i10 from 2008.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
When I had a fitting for my new Pings (irons and woods) my pro/coach was with me, and though I was present in the decision making - the advice, advising, club spec’ing and decision making were pretty much done by my pro. He knew my game and knew what he wanted to change and improve about my ball striking. My input was pretty much limited to whether or not I liked the look of any particular clubhead at address.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
When I had a fitting for my new Pings (irons and woods) my pro/coach was with me, and though I was present in the decision making - the advice, advising, club spec’ing and decision making were pretty much done by my pro. He knew my game and knew what he wanted to change and improve about my ball striking. My input was pretty much limited to whether or not I liked the look of any particular clubhead at address.

Isn't that a wee bit like opting for placcy surgery and letting the wife pick what you look like! :sneaky:

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Yesterday evening, on a whim, I decided to go and do an iron fitting. Here's a long and probably boring description of how it went down...

I'd thought about doing a fitting for a while, but I'd never been sure if it was the right thing to do. Some background:
  • I've only been playing about 18 months
  • I'm using an old RAM beginner set from about 10 years ago.
  • Sometimes I can hit the ball well, sometimes not.
  • I have had a handful of lessons.
I'm wanting to see improvement, and I think I have been, but I didn't know if my clubs were making it harder for me. I also didn't know if new clubs would help, if my swing needed work.

In the end, I decided to go and pay the £50 for the fitting, just to get my specs, and then if I decided to, down the line, I could use them to buy some decent second hand clubs. Alternatively, if I didn't see a massive improvement using newer tech, I would know that I needed to work on myself instead.

With that in mind, I decided to go for the fitting with literally no expectations; to expect to not see any difference whatsoever. I didn't want to go in expecting to see a difference and therefore end up convincing myself that the clubs were better than reality.

After a brief chat with the fitter, explaining the above, I hit about 10-15 shots with my current 7 iron so he could take a look. The majority of them were slightly hooked, which has generally been my miss for the last few months.

Once I'd done this, he asked what I thought about my ball flight, height-wise. I said that while I had no idea what it should look like - these are the only clubs I'd ever hit - I'd often thought it should be higher. He agreed, and said that that was what he would try and fit me for.

With that, he pulls out some club. I have no idea what it was - I made a point going in not to see what the clubs were after the fact, so I knew that any marketing I had read etc wouldn't affect my decision.

Well... here's where the fun started...

Immediately upon striking the ball, the launch angle and ball height was so much improved. I couldn't believe it. I was doing nothing different and yet I was looking like a better golfer immediately. I was honestly stunned. Shots were still going left, but it was a start. He then selects a different club, which I believe was the same but with a flatter lie angle... and I damn near had to pick up my jaw off the floor.

Ball flight, much straighter. Higher. Less effort required. Less thought required when stood over the ball. Everything just felt much more natural. I honestly could NOT believe it!

We then obviously tried out a few more clubs. I know the next was the Ping G425, which I really liked. An improvement on the first mystery club, I preferred the smaller appearance and thinner top edge behind the ball, and the sound it made on a decent strike. Shots were improved yet again.

Stealth irons were up next, and I didn't like them, appearance-wise, quite as much, but the numbers in terms of landing angle and peak height were slightly improved. Felt much of a muchness, really.

One of the most interesting things IMO was the club after that, which I later found out was Mizuno's offering. When he first handed it to me, he asked me what I thought, and I replied that it looked "chunkier" behind the ball, and I could also see the trailing edge of the sole peeping out from behind the top edge at address. I couldn't hit this at all - every shot bar a couple were caught fat. In my head, I thought it was maybe just fatigue setting in, but the fitter said that he thought it was the slightly fatter sole. I was sceptical, but he then handed me a Titleist club and I could immediately strike the ball again. I had no idea that something so subtle could make such a difference!

I have heard such good things about Mizuno irons that had I decided to just order some second-hand, they would've been one of the clubs at the top of my list. It's here that I learned the true value of being able to try the options before you buy. They just didn't work for me at all.

In order of performance, best to worst for me, the top three were

1) Stealth
2) The Titleist offering
3) Ping G425

with the Stealth and the Titleists being basically the same but for the dispersion being more consistent in terms of miss left vs miss right distance with the Stealth. I said that behind the ball and on good strikes I preferred the Pings, but then went back to them and suddenly couldn't strike them so well! So it's the Stealth for me.

I'll be ordering them some time in the future once I've paid out for some maintenance work on my car. I'm not sure if any new Stealth HD release will mean the original Stealth irons go on sale sometime soon?

Interestingly, none of the clubs tested offered me that much extra distance on what I have at the moment, which I'm sure is down to my swing. The fitter said I should work on increasing or decreasing dynamic loft, not sure which - but basically, I shouldn't have quite so much shaft lean at impact. My specs were 1 deg flat and 1 deg weak, and he said that if I work on my swing and start hitting the ball TOO high, he can bend them to remove that 1 deg weak.

To cut a (very) long story much shorter, I am now a full believer in fittings! Having entered a sceptic, I left with a real appreciation for just how much the equipment can make a difference. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure not every iteration of a club shows huge gain (and the fitter said as much), but at this point, when I know I will get the use out of them, I figure I might as well go new on this occasion rather than now risk buying second-hand. I'll keep the clubs for at least 4 or 5 years.

Shoutout to Matt at AFGolf Cambridge for being very open and honest throughout the session, and for letting me hit a few drives as well just to check that the specs on that weren't drastically wrong.
A friend and I got fitted at the same time. Both came away with Mizuno JPX900s in different standard flex shaft. Both of us struggle to hit each other’s clubs. There’s lots of interesting things about fittings and you did right to go in with an extra mind.

You might not have the distance gains but I’m sure your strike consistency improved. Distance is about speed training.

NeilV

Visit site
Isn't that a wee bit like opting for placcy surgery and letting the wife pick what you look like! :sneaky:

It's more like your wife deciding to have a boob job, letting you choose the shape, and letting the milkman choose the size.

RichA

Visit site
Yesterday evening, on a whim, I decided to go and do an iron fitting. Here's a long and probably boring description of how it went down...

I'd thought about doing a fitting for a while, but I'd never been sure if it was the right thing to do. Some background:
  • I've only been playing about 18 months
  • I'm using an old RAM beginner set from about 10 years ago.
  • Sometimes I can hit the ball well, sometimes not.
  • I have had a handful of lessons.
I'm wanting to see improvement, and I think I have been, but I didn't know if my clubs were making it harder for me. I also didn't know if new clubs would help, if my swing needed work.

In the end, I decided to go and pay the £50 for the fitting, just to get my specs, and then if I decided to, down the line, I could use them to buy some decent second hand clubs. Alternatively, if I didn't see a massive improvement using newer tech, I would know that I needed to work on myself instead.

With that in mind, I decided to go for the fitting with literally no expectations; to expect to not see any difference whatsoever. I didn't want to go in expecting to see a difference and therefore end up convincing myself that the clubs were better than reality.

After a brief chat with the fitter, explaining the above, I hit about 10-15 shots with my current 7 iron so he could take a look. The majority of them were slightly hooked, which has generally been my miss for the last few months.

Once I'd done this, he asked what I thought about my ball flight, height-wise. I said that while I had no idea what it should look like - these are the only clubs I'd ever hit - I'd often thought it should be higher. He agreed, and said that that was what he would try and fit me for.

With that, he pulls out some club. I have no idea what it was - I made a point going in not to see what the clubs were after the fact, so I knew that any marketing I had read etc wouldn't affect my decision.

Well... here's where the fun started...

Immediately upon striking the ball, the launch angle and ball height was so much improved. I couldn't believe it. I was doing nothing different and yet I was looking like a better golfer immediately. I was honestly stunned. Shots were still going left, but it was a start. He then selects a different club, which I believe was the same but with a flatter lie angle... and I damn near had to pick up my jaw off the floor.

Ball flight, much straighter. Higher. Less effort required. Less thought required when stood over the ball. Everything just felt much more natural. I honestly could NOT believe it!

We then obviously tried out a few more clubs. I know the next was the Ping G425, which I really liked. An improvement on the first mystery club, I preferred the smaller appearance and thinner top edge behind the ball, and the sound it made on a decent strike. Shots were improved yet again.

Stealth irons were up next, and I didn't like them, appearance-wise, quite as much, but the numbers in terms of landing angle and peak height were slightly improved. Felt much of a muchness, really.

One of the most interesting things IMO was the club after that, which I later found out was Mizuno's offering. When he first handed it to me, he asked me what I thought, and I replied that it looked "chunkier" behind the ball, and I could also see the trailing edge of the sole peeping out from behind the top edge at address. I couldn't hit this at all - every shot bar a couple were caught fat. In my head, I thought it was maybe just fatigue setting in, but the fitter said that he thought it was the slightly fatter sole. I was sceptical, but he then handed me a Titleist club and I could immediately strike the ball again. I had no idea that something so subtle could make such a difference!

I have heard such good things about Mizuno irons that had I decided to just order some second-hand, they would've been one of the clubs at the top of my list. It's here that I learned the true value of being able to try the options before you buy. They just didn't work for me at all.

In order of performance, best to worst for me, the top three were

1) Stealth
2) The Titleist offering
3) Ping G425

with the Stealth and the Titleists being basically the same but for the dispersion being more consistent in terms of miss left vs miss right distance with the Stealth. I said that behind the ball and on good strikes I preferred the Pings, but then went back to them and suddenly couldn't strike them so well! So it's the Stealth for me.

I'll be ordering them some time in the future once I've paid out for some maintenance work on my car. I'm not sure if any new Stealth HD release will mean the original Stealth irons go on sale sometime soon?

Interestingly, none of the clubs tested offered me that much extra distance on what I have at the moment, which I'm sure is down to my swing. The fitter said I should work on increasing or decreasing dynamic loft, not sure which - but basically, I shouldn't have quite so much shaft lean at impact. My specs were 1 deg flat and 1 deg weak, and he said that if I work on my swing and start hitting the ball TOO high, he can bend them to remove that 1 deg weak.

To cut a (very) long story much shorter, I am now a full believer in fittings! Having entered a sceptic, I left with a real appreciation for just how much the equipment can make a difference. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure not every iteration of a club shows huge gain (and the fitter said as much), but at this point, when I know I will get the use out of them, I figure I might as well go new on this occasion rather than now risk buying second-hand. I'll keep the clubs for at least 4 or 5 years.

Shoutout to Matt at AFGolf Cambridge for being very open and honest throughout the session, and for letting me hit a few drives as well just to check that the specs on that weren't drastically wrong.
Do you know which Mizuno iron you tested?
There are currently 8 in their line up. If he only tried you with one and you were wanting more height then it was probably the HM HL. It has more loft but also has the greatest offset, which might have caused more behind the ball duffs on a mat.

sjw

Visit site
Do you know which Mizuno iron you tested?
There are currently 8 in their line up. If he only tried you with one and you were wanting more height then it was probably the HM HL. It has more loft but also has the greatest offset, which might have caused more behind the ball duffs on a mat.
I have no idea. If the results are stored, I intend to ask when I eventually buy the clubs