A tale of two fittings

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Went for an iron fitting yesterday and was shocked at results, used Flightscope indoor bay and hitting into a blank screen with smooth mats. Used 7 iron for all clubs. Was not American Golf.

My clubs are Taylormade burners 12 year old so I was expecting a good improvement with new clubs, I tried 7 different iron configurations from Cleveland Halos , Ping G430 , Titliest T350 , Muzuno. and Wilson irons and none of them came out any better than my old clubs !! I fact some were worse, not much feedback from fitter and came away thinking that fitting couldn’t be right.

Today I went for another fitting , Trackman with outdoor bay and good mat , fitter was a young lad who knew his stuff and was helpful and not pushy.

Again I tried various clubs/ shafts and every stat was better with carry a full 25 yard difference from yesterday , I knew first fitting couldn’t be correct but with comparing new clubs with 12 year old clubs it beggars believe how the numbers were so out.

I came away today happy and ordering some Calloway irons.

Last edited:

Burnsey

Visit site
Glad you got sorted.

I’m not a fan of indoor facilities at all, especially fittings. I had mine fitted at my club, where the ‘routine’ is to get some basic understanding using the tech indoors, then prepare and take a selection onto the practice ground and then lastly, the course.

I bought new irons from that fitting and am really enjoying them.

I did it again for my driver and separately my wedges.

Last edited:

sunshine

Visit site
TM Burners were quite strong lofted distance irons. And you are familiaer with them so prob swing confidently. Is it possible that the first fitting was right? And the second fitter is feeling happy because he's convinced you to spend loads of money on new clubs? Confirmation bias? As long as you're happy - and it's clear you want new clubs - that's all that matters.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
TM Burners were quite strong lofted distance irons. And you are familiaer with them so prob swing confidently. Is it possible that the first fitting was right? And the second fitter is feeling happy because he's convinced you to spend loads of money on new clubs? Confirmation bias? As long as you're happy - and it's clear you want new clubs - that's all that matters.

No I don’t think first fitting was right I was only hitting 7 iron 110 yards some less, hit a p/w 95 yards which was about the same as my burners, strange gaps between the two.

The second fitting I was consistently hitting all the clubs I tried 25 yards longer and the Calloways were a touch more.

There was no pressure from the second fitter I could have easily walked away if I wanted but was pleased with clubs so went for them.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
There’s a term called “golf simulator syndrome”. It comes from us garage sim guys who can’t get their heads around hitting in a small space. It’s really easy to ease off when your not seeing the actual ball flight

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Went for an iron fitting yesterday and was shocked at results, used Flightscope indoor bay and hitting into a blank screen with smooth mats. Used 7 iron for all clubs. Was not American Golf.

My clubs are Taylormade burners 12 year old so I was expecting a good improvement with new clubs, I tried 7 different iron configurations from Cleveland Halos , Ping G430 , Titliest T350 , Muzuno. and Wilson irons and none of them came out any better than my old clubs !! I fact some were worse, not much feedback from fitter and came away thinking that fitting couldn’t be right.

Today I went for another fitting , Trackman with outdoor bay and good mat , fitter was a young lad who knew his stuff and was helpful and not pushy.

Again I tried various clubs/ shafts and every stat was better with carry a full 25 yard difference from yesterday , I knew first fitting couldn’t be correct but with comparing new clubs with 12 year old clubs it beggars believe how the numbers were so out.

I came away today happy and ordering some Calloway irons.
I didn't realise you'd go to all that trouble and expense just to have a chance to win our family cup, held every year. 🤣
Good timing too, as it's not until late July it gives you plenty of time to get used to them! 😁
Seriously though, hope they work well for you. 👍

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site