GI irons

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I’m looking to buy new irons I’m a senior with a slow swing speed and always been inconsistent with irons.

Looking for advice/recommendations.

Need all the help I can get so looking at Cleveland XL Halo clubs, only downside is when I’ve used hybrid clubs I had a tendancy to pull them left.

Ping G430 HI irons and Titliest T350 have been recommended but when I looked online for best GI irons all the reviews seemed to recommend different makes. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Anyone used the Cleveland Halos? I’m not fussed how they look.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have Ping G25 irons. Definitely forgiving and in the GI territory. Pretty much any Ping G series iron will fit the bill, 25, 30, 400, 410, 425, you get the picture 😄.

Choose one in your budget and one that looks good to your eye. The joy with pings, if you don't like them you can get most of your money back. They hold their value well.

Can't comment on the Cleveland Halos, sorry 🤷‍♂️

Mandofred

Visit site
I have just thrown ALL my irons out of the bag.....well....not my wedges. I am now Driver, 5w, 9w, 11w, 6+7 hybrid, 8-9-pw ELEVEN hybrid irons. Then my 3 wedges. Might add another wedge or a 7 wood. Depending on your money issues....the Elevens are cheap at £89 a club, graphite shaft. Eleven club review below.....

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I have just thrown ALL my irons out of the bag.....well....not my wedges. I am now Driver, 5w, 9w, 11w, 6+7 hybrid, 8-9-pw ELEVEN hybrid irons. Then my 3 wedges. Might add another wedge or a 7 wood. Depending on your money issues....the Elevens are cheap at £89 a club, graphite shaft. Eleven club review below.....

I did see Eleven hybrid irons when I was looking online, interesting but I think hybrid wedge would take awhile to get used too.

Thanks for posting.

Captain_Black.

Visit site
I'd recommend.
Cleveland Launcher Halo XL with 50g Cypher shafts - mega easy to hit & launch.
Chunky looks & they go high.

Ping G430 with Ping 45g shafts, I think they do a 35g shaft as well for a very slow swing.

Mizuno JPX 423 HL with 50g shafts
High launching, but still long & buttery smooth off the face

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I'm in a similar situation. I have drifted to be 17.2 handicap index and old age is catching up. I have a set of stiff shafted P790's from the first 790 release and I bought a set of graphite shafted, Stealth irons from a member of my Club. I can dosh them both into my pro shop for a return of £800 + (golf clubs 4 cash) and could buy a set of fitted Cobra Darkspeed iron for about that money, they are getting good reviews.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If you play golf, rather than are just a spectator, then you need players irons. If you want to improve, then you need game improvement irons.
Do any clubs ever get bad reviews ?

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I'd recommend.
Cleveland Launcher Halo XL with 50g Cypher shafts - mega easy to hit & launch.
Chunky looks & they go high.

Ping G430 with Ping 45g shafts, I think they do a 35g shaft as well for a very slow swing.

Mizuno JPX 423 HL with 50g shafts
High launching, but still long & buttery smooth off the face

I’m going for a fitting on Saturday so I will look at all 3 never considered Mizuno before.

I’m 69 18 h/c and I think the Cleveland clubs will suit me best going forward.

Looking forward to fitting to see what suits best, last time I had an iron fitting it was over 10 years ago and for some reason my swing was terrible on the day.

Captain_Black.

Visit site
One of my mates was recently fitted for the Cleveland Launcher Halo XL irons with the Cypher 50g shaft.
He hits them very well, they are easy to hit & launch very well.
I'd say the only negative is the looks (very chunky, like a hybrid) & they do go very high, with a drop off in distance.

The Ping G430 Irons I hit on a demo day were just fabulous
Fitted with the Ping Quick 45g shaft
Lovely ball flight, accurate & long
They also do a Ping Quick 35g shaft as well for very slow swing speeds

In the end, I went for.
Mizuno JPX923 HL Hot Metal Irons fitted with a Recoil 460 F2 shaft
These give me everything I was looking for
Looks, lovely ball flight, accuracy, length & a lovely feel.
But.
The Pings were probably equal, it just came down to availability & personal preference at the end

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
One of my mates was recently fitted for the Cleveland Launcher Halo XL irons with the Cypher 50g shaft.
He hits them very well, they are easy to hit & launch very well.
I'd say the only negative is the looks (very chunky, like a hybrid) & they do go very high, with a drop off in distance.

The Ping G430 Irons I hit on a demo day were just fabulous
Fitted with the Ping Quick 45g shaft
Lovely ball flight, accurate & long
They also do a Ping Quick 35g shaft as well for very slow swing speeds

In the end, I went for.
Mizuno JPX923 HL Hot Metal Irons fitted with a Recoil 460 F2 shaft
These give me everything I was looking for
Looks, lovely ball flight, accuracy, length & a lovely feel.
But.
The Pings were probably equal, it just came down to availability & personal preference at the end

Thanks some good information before my fitting very helpful, the fitter recommended trying the Ping G340. also.

The look of the clubs doesn’t bother me so still favoring the Cleveland clubs.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Someone had just posted a set in the forsale sections

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Someone had just posted a set in the forsale sections

Thanks I did see that , but they are regular shafts and I wanted senior shafts, they don’t have senior shafts in the launcher irons but have them in the full face irons.