Which irons would suit me the best?

JGoulding98

Visit site
Hi, my first post here! I’m in desperate need of some new irons and have had a fitting however still haven’t made any progress on what irons would suit me best. I play off of 16 so not the best, not the worst but I feel I could be a lot better! I’ve been playing with some off the shelf clubs which are standard length, standard shaft etc.. from my fitting, I’ve taken that I need extra stiff shafts and a club length +1/2 inch. We used a 7 iron for the fitting where my average speed was around 92mph. I’m just not too sure where I stand inbetween cavity backs/muscle backs/blades and what recommendations you guys have for the best golf clubs of 2021. Thanks?

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Hi, welcome to the mad house!

Off 16 I reckon that you could possibly play with any type of irons. Maybe a trip to, say, American Golf or a fitting with one of the good club makers if they come to where you play. Isn't it just how comfortable a club feels to you when hitting plus whether or not the ball goes the distance you expect. If Ping, Callaway etc etc come to your club for a fitting day they will carry various models, heads, shafts etc etc my opinion is just to try them all and be open minded. Off 16 doesn't mean you cant use blades, every one is different. Good luck with your choice!

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Go to a pro shop or golf store, look at the various clubs, and a few sets will be calling your name.
Pick the ones up that have been calling the loudest, have a waggle and go with the ones that you feel you could chop down trees with.
No need to thank me.....

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
There's no such thing as "the best golf clubs of 2021". There are a multitude of reviews and sites and they are great, I love reading and watching them myself but ultimately they are flawed as what is best for you is the important bit.
You need to self analyse/asses a bit.
Are your existing clubs a bit inappropriate for you. i.e. is the shaft & length (+ lie?) change going to be the biggest factor for you.
What do you think you need/are looking for? How do you strike the ball now?
To grossly generalise, many low cappers have good speed & distance, and are pretty consistent with strike. They may be more drawn to a club with higher and more consistent spin characteristics, so focusing on dispersion.
Some high cappers may feel distance is holding them back, and a powerful lower spinning model gives gains for them.
Ultimately most things are some kind of compromise.
As Chris said, as a "mid" you have a lot of options, and all the usual suspects will have offerings across the spectrum.

From what you posted, you have speed and if that translates to distance that may guide you. There's also what you like looking at. (Top line, off set, etc.)
You didn't mention the actual shaft from the fitting, so don't assume a different model of shaft would be the same.

Final thought, maybe the lump holding the club has the most influence ? But new shiny things are nice, can be a placebo for confidence and also an extra gee up for practicing. Enjoy the journey, & good luck ?