Went for an iron fitting yesterday, as a bit of a sceptic...

sjw

Visit site
Yesterday evening, on a whim, I decided to go and do an iron fitting. Here's a long and probably boring description of how it went down...

I'd thought about doing a fitting for a while, but I'd never been sure if it was the right thing to do. Some background:
  • I've only been playing about 18 months
  • I'm using an old RAM beginner set from about 10 years ago.
  • Sometimes I can hit the ball well, sometimes not.
  • I have had a handful of lessons.
I'm wanting to see improvement, and I think I have been, but I didn't know if my clubs were making it harder for me. I also didn't know if new clubs would help, if my swing needed work.

In the end, I decided to go and pay the £50 for the fitting, just to get my specs, and then if I decided to, down the line, I could use them to buy some decent second hand clubs. Alternatively, if I didn't see a massive improvement using newer tech, I would know that I needed to work on myself instead.

With that in mind, I decided to go for the fitting with literally no expectations; to expect to not see any difference whatsoever. I didn't want to go in expecting to see a difference and therefore end up convincing myself that the clubs were better than reality.

After a brief chat with the fitter, explaining the above, I hit about 10-15 shots with my current 7 iron so he could take a look. The majority of them were slightly hooked, which has generally been my miss for the last few months.

Once I'd done this, he asked what I thought about my ball flight, height-wise. I said that while I had no idea what it should look like - these are the only clubs I'd ever hit - I'd often thought it should be higher. He agreed, and said that that was what he would try and fit me for.

With that, he pulls out some club. I have no idea what it was - I made a point going in not to see what the clubs were after the fact, so I knew that any marketing I had read etc wouldn't affect my decision.

Well... here's where the fun started...

Immediately upon striking the ball, the launch angle and ball height was so much improved. I couldn't believe it. I was doing nothing different and yet I was looking like a better golfer immediately. I was honestly stunned. Shots were still going left, but it was a start. He then selects a different club, which I believe was the same but with a flatter lie angle... and I damn near had to pick up my jaw off the floor.

Ball flight, much straighter. Higher. Less effort required. Less thought required when stood over the ball. Everything just felt much more natural. I honestly could NOT believe it!

We then obviously tried out a few more clubs. I know the next was the Ping G425, which I really liked. An improvement on the first mystery club, I preferred the smaller appearance and thinner top edge behind the ball, and the sound it made on a decent strike. Shots were improved yet again.

Stealth irons were up next, and I didn't like them, appearance-wise, quite as much, but the numbers in terms of landing angle and peak height were slightly improved. Felt much of a muchness, really.

One of the most interesting things IMO was the club after that, which I later found out was Mizuno's offering. When he first handed it to me, he asked me what I thought, and I replied that it looked "chunkier" behind the ball, and I could also see the trailing edge of the sole peeping out from behind the top edge at address. I couldn't hit this at all - every shot bar a couple were caught fat. In my head, I thought it was maybe just fatigue setting in, but the fitter said that he thought it was the slightly fatter sole. I was sceptical, but he then handed me a Titleist club and I could immediately strike the ball again. I had no idea that something so subtle could make such a difference!

I have heard such good things about Mizuno irons that had I decided to just order some second-hand, they would've been one of the clubs at the top of my list. It's here that I learned the true value of being able to try the options before you buy. They just didn't work for me at all.

In order of performance, best to worst for me, the top three were

1) Stealth
2) The Titleist offering
3) Ping G425

with the Stealth and the Titleists being basically the same but for the dispersion being more consistent in terms of miss left vs miss right distance with the Stealth. I said that behind the ball and on good strikes I preferred the Pings, but then went back to them and suddenly couldn't strike them so well! So it's the Stealth for me.

I'll be ordering them some time in the future once I've paid out for some maintenance work on my car. I'm not sure if any new Stealth HD release will mean the original Stealth irons go on sale sometime soon?

Interestingly, none of the clubs tested offered me that much extra distance on what I have at the moment, which I'm sure is down to my swing. The fitter said I should work on increasing or decreasing dynamic loft, not sure which - but basically, I shouldn't have quite so much shaft lean at impact. My specs were 1 deg flat and 1 deg weak, and he said that if I work on my swing and start hitting the ball TOO high, he can bend them to remove that 1 deg weak.

To cut a (very) long story much shorter, I am now a full believer in fittings! Having entered a sceptic, I left with a real appreciation for just how much the equipment can make a difference. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure not every iteration of a club shows huge gain (and the fitter said as much), but at this point, when I know I will get the use out of them, I figure I might as well go new on this occasion rather than now risk buying second-hand. I'll keep the clubs for at least 4 or 5 years.

Shoutout to Matt at AFGolf Cambridge for being very open and honest throughout the session, and for letting me hit a few drives as well just to check that the specs on that weren't drastically wrong.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Interesting.
My wife has told me that she wants to buy me some new iron in October, very specific I know, but there is a reason.

I have bought a ton of clubs, 6 sets of irons last year alone. I have bought second hand and new ones, but have never been fitted. I know what I want in October, Mizuno Pro 223, there is no doubt in that, and I know what shaft, flex, lie, grip etc. But, there is a bit of me that wants to make these ones keepers, and to that end I am seriously thinking about going for a fitting to confirm, or otherwise, that the shaft etc are the most suitable for me. There is no debating the heads.

Albo

Visit site
Interesting.
My wife has told me that she wants to buy me some new iron in October, very specific I know, but there is a reason.

I have bought a ton of clubs, 6 sets of irons last year alone. I have bought second hand and new ones, but have never been fitted. I know what I want in October, Mizuno Pro 223, there is no doubt in that, and I know what shaft, flex, lie, grip etc. But, there is a bit of me that wants to make these ones keepers, and to that end I am seriously thinking about going for a fitting to confirm, or otherwise, that the shaft etc are the most suitable for me. There is no debating the heads.
Very much a double edged sword the fitting in that case.
Sounds like your heart and mind are set in the 223 Pro’s, so if you went for a fitting and found you hit ‘Brand X’ much longer and straighter than the 223’s what would you do?
Perhaps worth go to a Mizuno specific event, that way you only try the Mizuno stuff but ensure you have the most suitable shaft, lie angle etc

sjw

Visit site
Sounds like your heart and mind are set in the 223 Pro’s, so if you went for a fitting and found you hit ‘Brand X’ much longer and straighter than the 223’s what would you do?
Perhaps worth go to a Mizuno specific event, that way you only try the Mizuno stuff but ensure you have the most suitable shaft, lie angle etc
That basically sums up why I didn't want to know what the clubs were - although I've not hit any of them before, I have read reviews etc and I didn't want to be swayed. I'd heard the the Stealth were very forgiving, for example, but I've also heard "nothing feels like a Mizuno" and that the Pings sound great (which tbf they did, when I hit them well)

Albo

Visit site
That basically sums up why I didn't want to know what the clubs were - although I've not hit any of them before, I have read reviews etc and I didn't want to be swayed. I'd heard the the Stealth were very forgiving, for example, but I've also heard "nothing feels like a Mizuno" and that the Pings sound great (which tbf they did, when I hit them well)
Yep I think if you want to be fit without any personal bias that’s the best approach, not so if you have something already in mind

sjw

Visit site
Yep I think if you want to be fit without any personal bias that’s the best approach, not so if you have something already in mind
Also, for some reason I'm not a huge Callaway fan, based on absolutely nothing at all... so if I knew I was hitting one I might have a bias. When I booked the fitting, they asked what brands I was interested in; I just ticked them all. Might have been that the first club I hit was a Callaway, I have no idea. When I saw what he'd entered them as in the system, I didn't recognise the number.

evemccc

Visit site
Yesterday evening, on a whim, I decided to go and do an iron fitting. Here's a long and probably boring description of how it went down...

I'd thought about doing a fitting for a while, but I'd never been sure if it was the right thing to do. Some background:
  • I've only been playing about 18 months
  • I'm using an old RAM beginner set from about 10 years ago.
  • Sometimes I can hit the ball well, sometimes not.
  • I have had a handful of lessons.
I'm wanting to see improvement, and I think I have been, but I didn't know if my clubs were making it harder for me. I also didn't know if new clubs would help, if my swing needed work.

In the end, I decided to go and pay the £50 for the fitting, just to get my specs, and then if I decided to, down the line, I could use them to buy some decent second hand clubs. Alternatively, if I didn't see a massive improvement using newer tech, I would know that I needed to work on myself instead.

With that in mind, I decided to go for the fitting with literally no expectations; to expect to not see any difference whatsoever. I didn't want to go in expecting to see a difference and therefore end up convincing myself that the clubs were better than reality.

After a brief chat with the fitter, explaining the above, I hit about 10-15 shots with my current 7 iron so he could take a look. The majority of them were slightly hooked, which has generally been my miss for the last few months.

Once I'd done this, he asked what I thought about my ball flight, height-wise. I said that while I had no idea what it should look like - these are the only clubs I'd ever hit - I'd often thought it should be higher. He agreed, and said that that was what he would try and fit me for.

With that, he pulls out some club. I have no idea what it was - I made a point going in not to see what the clubs were after the fact, so I knew that any marketing I had read etc wouldn't affect my decision.

Well... here's where the fun started...

Immediately upon striking the ball, the launch angle and ball height was so much improved. I couldn't believe it. I was doing nothing different and yet I was looking like a better golfer immediately. I was honestly stunned. Shots were still going left, but it was a start. He then selects a different club, which I believe was the same but with a flatter lie angle... and I damn near had to pick up my jaw off the floor.

Ball flight, much straighter. Higher. Less effort required. Less thought required when stood over the ball. Everything just felt much more natural. I honestly could NOT believe it!

We then obviously tried out a few more clubs. I know the next was the Ping G425, which I really liked. An improvement on the first mystery club, I preferred the smaller appearance and thinner top edge behind the ball, and the sound it made on a decent strike. Shots were improved yet again.

Stealth irons were up next, and I didn't like them, appearance-wise, quite as much, but the numbers in terms of landing angle and peak height were slightly improved. Felt much of a muchness, really.

One of the most interesting things IMO was the club after that, which I later found out was Mizuno's offering. When he first handed it to me, he asked me what I thought, and I replied that it looked "chunkier" behind the ball, and I could also see the trailing edge of the sole peeping out from behind the top edge at address. I couldn't hit this at all - every shot bar a couple were caught fat. In my head, I thought it was maybe just fatigue setting in, but the fitter said that he thought it was the slightly fatter sole. I was sceptical, but he then handed me a Titleist club and I could immediately strike the ball again. I had no idea that something so subtle could make such a difference!

I have heard such good things about Mizuno irons that had I decided to just order some second-hand, they would've been one of the clubs at the top of my list. It's here that I learned the true value of being able to try the options before you buy. They just didn't work for me at all.

In order of performance, best to worst for me, the top three were

1) Stealth
2) The Titleist offering
3) Ping G425

with the Stealth and the Titleists being basically the same but for the dispersion being more consistent in terms of miss left vs miss right distance with the Stealth. I said that behind the ball and on good strikes I preferred the Pings, but then went back to them and suddenly couldn't strike them so well! So it's the Stealth for me.

I'll be ordering them some time in the future once I've paid out for some maintenance work on my car. I'm not sure if any new Stealth HD release will mean the original Stealth irons go on sale sometime soon?

Interestingly, none of the clubs tested offered me that much extra distance on what I have at the moment, which I'm sure is down to my swing. The fitter said I should work on increasing or decreasing dynamic loft, not sure which - but basically, I shouldn't have quite so much shaft lean at impact. My specs were 1 deg flat and 1 deg weak, and he said that if I work on my swing and start hitting the ball TOO high, he can bend them to remove that 1 deg weak.

To cut a (very) long story much shorter, I am now a full believer in fittings! Having entered a sceptic, I left with a real appreciation for just how much the equipment can make a difference. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure not every iteration of a club shows huge gain (and the fitter said as much), but at this point, when I know I will get the use out of them, I figure I might as well go new on this occasion rather than now risk buying second-hand. I'll keep the clubs for at least 4 or 5 years.

Shoutout to Matt at AFGolf Cambridge for being very open and honest throughout the session, and for letting me hit a few drives as well just to check that the specs on that weren't drastically wrong.

Excellent write-up, glad it worked out and your experience was positive

Teebs

Visit site
Interesting.

Why the Mizuno out of interest...?

evemccc

Visit site
“the fitter said that he thought it was the slightly fatter sole. I was sceptical, but he then handed me a Titleist club and I could immediately strike the ball again. I had no idea that something so subtle could make such a difference!” @sjw

Interesting - do you recall if he said you have a shallow or steep swing, to be hindered by a wider sole?

Was the fitting on turf, and would a fitting on turf > a matt, highlight the advantages of a wider / thinner sole?

Golfnut1957

Visit site
I fully understand the sentiment, but there isn't much that I haven't tried. Albeit, all unfitted.
In the last two years I have owned Miura 501 cb, TM 770, Titleist AP3, Titleist T200, Mizuno Forged 919, Cleveland 588 cb, Callaway Apex mb, Callaway Apex Pro 19, Ping i210, Mizuno JPX 921 Forged and Mizuno MP 20 mb which are currently in the bag. If that lot taught me one thing it was that I don't like to hollow players distance clubs.
The last clubs I bought were a set of Mizuno Pro 223, they were perfect and I loved them. Compact enough, great feel and feedback and the slightly jacked lofts compensate for my increase in age. I bought them almost new a week before my wife offered to buy me some new clubs. Fortunately the seller accepted returns.
I can wait until October for my new set. The fitting would determine shaft type/flex/length etc.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Why the Mizuno out of interest...?
Taken from post # 13
The last clubs I bought were a set of Mizuno Pro 223, they were perfect and I loved them. Compact enough, great feel and feedback and the slightly jacked lofts compensate for my increase in age. I bought them almost new a week before my wife offered to buy me some new clubs. Fortunately the seller accepted returns.

I have to admit I am a bit of an admirer of Mizuno. The only reason that the sig isn't all Mizuno is that I have done it before and the truth is it feels a bit geeky to me. Plus the two hybrids are great clubs.

sjw

Visit site
“the fitter said that he thought it was the slightly fatter sole. I was sceptical, but he then handed me a Titleist club and I could immediately strike the ball again. I had no idea that something so subtle could make such a difference!” @sjw

Interesting - do you recall if he said you have a shallow or steep swing, to be hindered by a wider sole?

Was the fitting on turf, and would a fitting on turf > a matt, highlight the advantages of a wider / thinner sole?

He didn't actually say what the reason was, just more pointed out that it wasn't that I was doing anything different, it was the club. The fitting was on a mat. Grass would've been nice, but the weather was atrocious. I'm not sure if fittings on turf is something that they offer either

sjw

Visit site
But..but....all golf clubs are the same.......:eek:;)

Glad it was a decent experience (y)

ps....not all golf clubs are the same despite what you might read on here occasionally

I honestly thought that the clubs would be much more similar than they were. I could actually see the difference between them and I thought my golf wouldn't be nuanced enough for that. The Mizuno was the one that stood out, and the fact I couldn't hit it at all

sjw

Visit site
On the topic of this thread, does anyone have any info as to whether the new TM release (Stealth HD?) will affect prices of current irons?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
On the topic of this thread, does anyone have any info as to whether the new TM release (Stealth HD?) will affect prices of current irons?
Shops like Clubhouse Golf, Snainton Golf etc may have stock of the old Stealth irons and those prices should drop now
But if you need a fit other than fairly standard they may not have them...

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This is the perfect advert for a beginner to get fitted.
There are really good golfers that can’t use certain types of clubs.
Having a second hand set that don’t suit can really hold you back.
I think a lot of new players give up the game because they struggle with the clubs they have.
So your £50 is very well spent.

The only thing I didn’t understand was a chunkie sole given your big shaft lean would not stop you hitting the ball properly.
But given your shaft lean it would definitely be more visible at adress and this could be off putting.

Good summary though well written.
Just get your clubs before the good weather so you get used to them.