Driver fitting - don't need senior flex

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
So I went for a fitting for my Taylormade Stealth today. I've never got along with stock shafts & took along the four shafts I've used with my M5. I had some figures with me from about 8 years ago, done on a simulator, showing a swing speed of around 90 mph. I knew over the intervening years I've lost some speed, being aged 75 now, & thought I might have dropped to around 85. I was disappointed to see that I could manage only 79 to 82 mph.

What was interesting was that, with the right shaft, my total distance with the Stealth wasn't far off what I was getting with my SLDR 8 years ago.

As far as the shaft was concerned which one was best? None of the four I brought it turned out. The best shaft by a margin was a Ladies flex 42g, 1" shorter than the others. I was getting the same speed, similar spin & better launch angle & dispersion with this shaft.

So, instead of buying the head only I have now invested in a new shaft & have four to sell.

I now have to face the predictable derision of my friends when they find I'm now too decrepid for a senior shaft but if this helps me get another 15yards up the fairway I don't care.

The loss of swing speed is, I'm afraid, a predictable consequence of getting old. There's nothing more I can do now to improve things, I'll just have to practise my short game. Anyone want to buy a shaft?

Canary Kid

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I’m 71 and have a driver swing speed of 77. They say you lose 1 mph of speed for each year aged, so I guess that, in three years time, my age will equal my swing speed. ?

I use senior flex in all clubs.

Fabia999

Visit site
I had the fitting at Golfworx at Boldon, very good experience. Didn't detect anything different with the carbon face. The main difference was how light the club felt with the 42g shaft fitted, same or faster clubhead speed with a shorter Shaft, a win win situation.

I was recommended to go there for my iron fitting and it was really good, I recommend Golfworx to anyone who I know is after a new set. I am in the same boat as you with swing speed unfortunately. The lack of distance is ruining my score but there isnt much I can do about it. Currently have a TS1 fitted with a 45 gram regular shaft in.

Do you know if golfworx can sell shaft independently? I would consider a new one if i was going to get extra yardage from it.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
I was recommended to go there for my iron fitting and it was really good, I recommend Golfworx to anyone who I know is after a new set. I am in the same boat as you with swing speed unfortunately. The lack of distance is ruining my score but there isnt much I can do about it. Currently have a TS1 fitted with a 45 gram regular shaft in.

Do you know if golfworx can sell shaft independently? I would consider a new one if i was going to get extra yardage from it.
He was going to sell me the head on its own so a shaft shouldn't be a problem. I'll soon have four to sell!